Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest capacity 2.5" usb powered HD... With media player capabilities?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cormie wrote: »
    I was hoping for something simple, that I wouldn't have to do any customisations with, that would just work out of the box for simple video playback, but I guess my dated projector and separate audio speakers are making it a little sub standard :(

If you like I could bring my Pi into work and connect it to our projector which is fairly dated at this stage. It has composite video inputs as well as VGA but no HDMI. I could do a quick check to set how the Pi outputs through the projector and hook the audio up to an external set of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just came back to post here. I've spent the last hour and a bit looking up reviews on amazon of a lot of different devices and unfortunately, each one isn't without their downsides. The WD 1TB device seems to have a lot of problems with large libraries, crashing etc.

This asus seemed good until I saw reviews about compatibility issues with w7 64 bit which I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-1080p-HDP-R1-Internet-Streamer/dp/B002OQPBVQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1363860444&sr=1-2

This has some great reviews and great value, but seems to only support EXT HD's up to 1TB: http://www.amazon.co.uk/IncrediSonic-Ultra-Play-IMP150-Flashdrives/dp/B006FNCWSY/ref=pd_sim_computers_14

So it looks like it may be down to the WD live TV without HD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Live-Stream-Media-Player/dp/B005MYX33K/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=340831031&s=computers I'm just not sure if I'll be able to connect to to the dated projector and then the 3.5 speakers too

or the PI... :D

The pi may actually turn out to be the best solution for me at this stage? If I got an eclosure for it maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

What exactly would I need to buy for the PI to suffice me here?

PI
    Enclosure
    Composite Cable
    WIFI attachment (or is that included?)
    Probably several hours setting it up, installing firmware, apps etc?

Or would I need a few more things too? If it's no hassle for you to check that at work it'd be cool, it's a pity we can't know these things from the spec alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

VGA to HDMI?

EDIT: Wow, just seen such cables cost around €60!!! The vga to mini display was only around €8 I think!

Think you might be looking for a converter thats going the wrong way...

you need a HDMI to VGA - which is much cheaper....

or you could try this:
    You can go HDMI to DVI (for less than a tenner) which is very handy for connecting the PI or other to a monitor especially as there is no loss of video quality.
    ($2 here -> http://dx.com/p/gold-plated-hdmi-male-to-dvi-24-1-female-adapter-32388)

and then you can get a downgrade DVI to VGA plugs sometimes free with video cards...
    (or $2 -> here http://dx.com/p/dvi-i-to-vga-adapter-708)

The audio comes then from the PI 3.5mm jack to the sterio

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

or the PI... :D

What exactly would I need to buy for the PI to suffice me here?

PI
    Enclosure
    Composite Cable
    WIFI attachment (or is that included?)
    Probably several hours setting it up, installing firmware, apps etc?

The PI is a little hacky - you would need

* a convertor from HDMI to VGA (or it will look low res and rubbish)
    * a memory card (8G class 10 usually used)
    * a remote control (you can use Android or Iphone - or an old XBox remote and a few others works also)
    * ethernet cable recommended - just plug it in and it works full speed.
    too much can go wrong with wifi but if you want - a wifi nano plug ($5 online or 10 euros in maplins) just make sure you research its one the pi supports out of the box - most are I think - but you really dont want to be installing linux drivers in a command line using a composite cable :)

Note: Pi cannot playback stuff recorded in very hi resolution yet- but VGA/720 quality and maybe a bit better is fine.

You can download the opensource software onto the card easily using a windows app that installs it all for you.

“Roll it back”

Thanks a lot for the breakdown, ooh, sounds a little complicated with all the memory cards etc and also, I won't be able to connect an ethernet cable to it, not a chance on that unfortunately as the router is too far away.

I know it's probably technically the best solution since so much can be done with it and every bug fixed and so many customisations etc with such a huge community behind it, I think it just might be a bit too technical for me though :o

Unless they are sold ready to go and all I'd have to do is download an app for android?

• Advertisement

Just ordered the WD TV LIVE, seemed the best option given my situation. Can anyone advise what cables I'll need now to make it all compatible with my speaker and projector set up?

Just to report back the WD TV LIVE is working perfect, it's better than expected after having read a few negative reviews, decided to risk it and am very happy so far. I still haven't received the 2TB WD HD's I ordered (which were dispatched and ordered before the WD TV Live also from Amazon) so I hope it reads the 2TB drives ok, if so, then all is good. Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement