Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Public Holiday.

Options
  • 16-03-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭

Sinn Fein has called for a new public holiday and they want it called Independence Day.

Sinn Fein are not living in the real world. Neither the private or public sector can afford this.

I see some of the Universities in Northern Ireland have closed their colleges for a couple of days this weekend. This has been done in order to avoid conflict and I commend them.

Forget about Independence Day, move our own October public holiday back to the 24th.July and call it Forgiveness Day.

Of course we have the option as I suggested in an earlier post of moving St. Patrick's day to the 24th. July and still call it Independence Day.

Look at the weather the 17th.March not a time of the year for sunny celebrations

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bill Pullman day has a much better ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ruairi Quinn promised two extra holidays

Another broken promise from Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ruairi Quinn promised two extra holidays

Another broken promise from Labour

We can't afford it. It is intelligent to break foolish promises. All of us have done the same thing at some time or another.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

If my child gets any more time off school because of these public holidays, they may as well stay at home altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What's July the 24th? That would be right on top of the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Anyway, we don't need another bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Xenophile wrote: »
    Neither the private or public sector can afford this.

We can't afford to pay for the debts of private businesses nor the pensions of failed politicians, yet here we are....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

We could do with another public holiday at the start of July! Call it diversity day... Celebrate all traditions on the island nationalist, unionist, orange, green, foreign national, lgbt, disability, sports, everything and anything worth celebrating... Let everyone just live and let live day! Will bring money into the tourism sector... Allow people to enjoy one weekend of our best month weatherwise? It's not all about money... Working people need a break!!! Politicians, teachers get the entire summer off... All we want is an extra Monday in July!

I propose the banishment of the term "bank holiday" cause fúck them. Call it a "tax payers holiday"

How would a public holiday in July affect school holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I see some of the Universities in Northern Ireland have closed their colleges for a couple of days this weekend. This has been done in order to avoid conflict and I commend them.

You do know that St Patrick's Day is officially a bank holiday in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Deedsie wrote: »
    Call it diversity day... Celebrate all traditions on the island

A great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

We should have two new public holidays per year. Have them sponsored by whoever. Middle of May and Winter Solstice in December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

We can't afford it. It is intelligent to break foolish promises. All of us have done the same thing at some time or another.
    It could have been yesterday. Didn't see a whole load getting done-"it's paddys weekend!" so slot in a public holiday the last friday before paddys day. That way we could do very little on thurday as well. We need to embrace our inner slacker, sure all those years of slogging away at being "boomy" didn't do us much good in the end. Is "Independence day" the best moniker though?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thread here already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement