Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin,s "Republic Day".

Options
  • 21-02-2013 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0221/368919-sinn-fein-republic-day/

Sinn Féin has published legislation that would create an extra bank holiday, to be called "Republic Day".
    Party spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh said the holiday would be on 24 April, the anniversary of the reading of the 1916 Proclamation outside the GPO by Padraig Pearse.
    Mr Ó Snodaigh said this would bring Ireland, which currently has nine bank holidays, closer to the European average of 11.
    He said the holiday would mark the sacrifice of men and women who gave their lives in pursuit of an independent Irish Republic.
    Asked if that included members of the Provisional IRA who died in the course of the Troubles, Mr Ó Snodaigh said it did.

Well would you be in favor of having such a day ?

After hours answer, I would, anything for an extra paid day of.

Serious answer, Cant see it happening especially as it includes P IRA members. But I would be in favor of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

realies wrote: »

Sinn Féin has published legislation that would create an extra bank holiday, to be called "Republic Day".
    Party spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh said the holiday would be on 24 April, the anniversary of the reading of the 1916 Proclamation outside the GPO by Padraig Pearse.
    Mr Ó Snodaigh said this would bring Ireland, which currently has nine bank holidays, closer to the European average of 11.
    He said the holiday would mark the sacrifice of men and women who gave their lives in pursuit of an independent Irish Republic.
    Asked if that included members of the Provisional IRA who died in the course of the Troubles, Mr Ó Snodaigh said it did.

Serious answer, Cant see it happening especially as it includes P IRA members. But I would be in favor of it.

Whatever about the historical significance, it's the wrong time of the year. Too close to may bank holiday and Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

An extra bank holiday can only be a good thing really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

We could have a Safe Opening Bank Holiday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or another day to get double pay.

Seriously though, its a good idea I suppose to celebrate the country becoming a republic, but I think the suggestion has been hijaked already. Not sure who it was this morning, but they suggested it be used to celebrate all republican volunteers, before and after 1916.

The war republican volunteers have fought during the troubles and since was/is totally different to that during the civil war, and cant see most law abiding people celebrating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I agree lets bank another holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is maith sin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I always thought that Easter was recognised as the anniversary of the 1916 rising even though its on a different date every year. This sounds like Sinn Fein playing the populist card again. Sure who wouldn't want another day off for a piss-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

irish-stew wrote: »
    Or another day to get double pay.

Seriously though, its a good idea I suppose to celebrate the country becoming a republic, but I think the suggestion has been hijaked already. Not sure who it was this morning, but they suggested it be used to celebrate all republican volunteers, before and after 1916.

The war republican volunteers have fought during the troubles and since was/is totally different to that during the civil war, and cant see most law abiding people celebrating them.

The country didn't become a republic until 1949 and it wasn't announced outside the GPO, it was announced in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i agree with them, we need an independence day celebration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

And on that basis......it's a no from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Who's be opposed to a bank holiday really? What would be the theme of Republic Day though? fireworks? BBQs? drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why couldn't they have organised the Rising for sometime in February? It was terribly inconsiderate of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Although 24th April 1916 isn't our independence day, it's usually seen to be the beginning of our struggle for independence. Most other countries have an independence day - why not us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Who's be opposed to a bank holiday really? What would be the theme of Republic Day though? fireworks? BBQs? drink?

;) Rpgs,drink uzis,drink,kalashkonovs,drink,cementex,drink and more drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Yamanoto wrote: »
    And on that basis......it's a no from me.

Time to move on. Sinn Fein has but you havent.

I believe its worth a look, be good to see country celebrating our heros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As much as I'd like it, it'll turn into "Knackers in celtic jerseys day"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We could have a commemeration day for the Irish Republic, seems as how its now a thing of the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's about time, it's wrong that we don't have an independence day after the struggle this country has been through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I'd love to see this happen, we need an official day to remember those who went out in Easter week 1916 and laid down their lives for Ireland, especially coming close to the 100th anniversary, would be nice to have it officially remembered.

If only they could see our country now, our present leaders, James Connolly would be fuming.

Anyway I hope the government consider this, after all they wouldn't be in power today if it wasn't for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

As Jean McConville might have said, we need this like a hole in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

Is this so they can rob the bank ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Great idea imo, in reality it would be confined to stuff about war of independence and 1916.

Snarky question really, he's hardly gonna say that the provos were not fighting for an Irish republic is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Murphj7 wrote: »
    Time to move on. Sinn Fein has but you havent.

I believe its worth a look, be good to see country celebrating our heros.

That's a touch odd - you're asking me to 'move on' by commemorating people, events, deeds and misdeeds spanning the guts of the previous hundred years.

As for celebrating 'our heroes', lumping the Provo's in with those who gave their lives during the Rising & War of Independence simply won't wash with many right thinking folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Recognise a date to a failed state that only lasted for 3 years, pass.

Now if they were to hold it on the 6th Dec when it was actually recognised or on the 29th Dec when the constitution was officially enacted then maybe but they're both in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OldIrishWulf

Not until the british hand back the 6 counties and we have made peace with or chucked out the troublesome loyalists . I have no trouble with them (orange lot) taking seats in that dail up there in dublin .

I'm new to this boards.ie ,but I have heard people get banned for small things .With that in mind I will not express my views on what should be done with ex polititions who get massive ,whats that payment called when you retire ? I'd lump RTE broadcasters in with them .

I hope I'll get some sort of warning before someone decides to ban me . ;) thanx .

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mattjack wrote: »
    We could have a Safe Opening Bank Holiday too.

To commemorate the Northern Bank Robbery?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd rather go in to work in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You can't have two national holidays, Other countries that have independence day don't have another day. We have st.Patrick's day already. To have another day we need to win a war..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OldIrishWulf

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That's a touch odd - you're asking me to 'move on' by commemorating people, events, deeds and misdeeds spanning the guts of the previous hundred years.

As for celebrating 'our heroes', lumping the Provo's in with those who gave their lives during the Rising & War of Independence simply won't wash with many right thinking folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS9jI12JwFY I'm not sure if thats a video I've seen before . If you do some homework and a little searching , you will realise ,the terrorists were the ones patrolling the streets and ditches and eyeballing citizens down the scope of a rifle .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You can't have two national holidays, Other countries that have independence day don't have another day. We have st.Patrick's day already. To have another day we need to win a war..

Of course you can.

NZ has Waitangi day and ANZAC day for instance, sure technically not a national day as such but is observed as one effectivly. We could re-brand St Patrick's day as something else, it's not exactly connected with the state in any way apart from religion anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement