Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips actifry

Options
  • 13-03-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

reduced by over €100 in Argos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much is usaully

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crayon80

Tis the other kind reduced, the Phillips Airfryer

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=PHILIPS+AIRFRYER&authToken=
    58-4237415SPA75UC906906M.jpg

white one - Save Over €109.00 - Was €243.49 now €133.89

black one - save Over €104.00 - Was €219.99 now €115.49

Free Philips Recipe Book in pack when you buy this Philips Airfryer. Please note this offer will not show in your trolley. Offer ends 26 July 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If I may pipe in, as much as I know it is not a bargain alert related comment, but may I discourage against the usage of one of these. Not only have I found food to be completely different, but they are not even that edible.

For example, chips: one of the key features of the product. If you have chips so often that you can warrant one of these, please consider it. If not, move away. I have found most meals soggy and late due to this. For example, most products (poultry, potato, etc.) take far longer in the product and don't seem to be much tastier. You probably find it better for your health as you eat less.

Just keep it in mind. I come from a family of health freaks and chefs (ironically), and we haven't used it in over a year and a half. You can cook healthier without it, and whilst saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

€115 on amazon also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Note: Phillips are now gone from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

rom wrote: »
    What dya mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

rom wrote: »

What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If I may pipe in, as much as I know it is not a bargain alert related comment, but may I discourage against the usage of one of these. Not only have I found food to be completely different, but they are not even that edible.

For example, chips: one of the key features of the product. If you have chips so often that you can warrant one of these, please consider it. If not, move away. I have found most meals soggy and late due to this. For example, most products (poultry, potato, etc.) take far longer in the product and don't seem to be much tastier. You probably find it better for your health as you eat less.

Just keep it in mind. I come from a family of health freaks and chefs (ironically), and we haven't used it in over a year and a half. You can cook healthier without it, and whilst saving money.

You're doing it wrong. Almost everything I've cooked in mine has been awesome. Oven chips are excellent. Chicken rubbed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and about 20 mins at 200 deg is sublime. Crispy skin and moist meat.

I love my airfryer. Price above is good. I paid £99 a couple of months ago on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stimpson or anyone else does it have to be certain brands of oven chips pre fried etc that you buy for these or can you cut up a spud yourself and have it turn out like homemade chips? Can you do chicken and chips/fish and chips together or will that be a mess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RoboRat

No they're not. They have stopped doing TV's etc but they still do small appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thargor wrote: »
    Stimpson or anyone else does it have to be certain brands of oven chips pre fried etc that you buy for these or can you cut up a spud yourself and have it turn out like homemade chips? Can you do chicken and chips/fish and chips together or will that be a mess?
    i use fresh spuds (also, sweet potato, carrot or parsnips) and cut them up myself in my tefal actifry and they're great.

it takes a little experimentation to get the desired 'crispy outside, moist inside' outcome depending on what you put into it and how long for, but overall i'm very happy and it's a lot easier and quicker than par-boiling and ovening chips manually.

my next test is going to be to try a bit of stir frying in it and to see what else it can be used for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vibe666 wrote: »
    i use fresh spuds (also, sweet potato, carrot or parsnips) and cut them up myself in my tefal actifry and they're great.

it takes a little experimentation to get the desired 'crispy outside, moist inside' outcome depending on what you put into it and how long for, but overall i'm very happy and it's a lot easier and quicker than par-boiling and ovening chips manually.

my next test is going to be to try a bit of stir frying in it and to see what else it can be used for. :)

How else do you do chips other than manually ?

Place chips in tray close oven door. What makes this actifry easier ?

to make decent, reasonably healthy fresh crispy chips from spuds (i.e. not the mccain oven chip type frozen ones) in the oven that are comparable to actifry chips, you need to par boil them before transferring to the oven, then evenly coat them with some kind of oil without drenching them in it and keep an eye on them, turning them regularly to make sure they are all evenly cooked but at the same time that none get burnt.

by comparison, with the actifry, you just chop your spuds, place them with a spoon of oil in the fryer and turn it on and then come back to it when the buzzer goes off and they're cooked to perfection, all evenly browned and crispy with no mess or fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

listermint wrote: »
    How else do you do chips other than manually ?

Place chips in tray close oven door. What makes this actifry easier ?

You dont need to shake and flip them, they get cooked evenly with no help from you.

I do marinated prawns too in my Actifry, delicious! And roasted chickpeas!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

How do you do the chickpeas? That sounds like a great idea for home made snack food :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

vibe666 wrote: »
    to make decent, reasonably healthy fresh crispy chips from spuds (i.e. not the mccain oven chip type frozen ones) in the oven that are comparable to actifry chips, you need to par boil them before transferring to the oven, then evenly coat them with some kind of oil without drenching them in it and keep an eye on them, turning them regularly to make sure they are all evenly cooked but at the same time that none get burnt.

by comparison, with the actifry, you just chop your spuds, place them with a spoon of oil in the fryer and turn it on and then come back to it when the buzzer goes off and they're cooked to perfection, all evenly browned and crispy with no mess or fuss.

I NEVER par-boil the potatoes before oven baking them for chips. No need IMO. I only use two tea spoons of oil for a big tray and turn twice maximum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

the_pod wrote: »
    How do you do the chickpeas? That sounds like a great idea for home made snack food :pac:

Just drain the tin, pat them dry, put them in a bowl with oil, paprika, cayenne. pinch of salt and curry powder shake them up, roast for 20 mins! Really nice treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

It is the philips airfryer that I have and would highly recommend. I have used it nearly every day since I got it.

I found "premium" frozen oven chips to be better than frozen ones. I normally use the Aldi ones. However it does all the other frozen stuff like wedges/curly fries/croquettes/nuggets very well no matter what the brand. Things like onion bhajis/spring rolls/samosas etc turn out very well. Haven't done any fresh meat in it (yet) Butternut Squash chips are yummy too. I found the potato chips to be nicer if par boiled, then tossed in a little olive oil and salt and pepper (or nandos piripiri chip seasoning) The chickpeas sound very yummy, am defo going to give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thargor wrote: »

It comes with a seperator so you can do high in one side and chips in the other. You'd only really get one portion (a big one though), so if we're doing more we sling the fish in the oven and do chips in the airfryer.

I usually do the McCains thin oven chips. The missus bought some Lidl ones today so ill give them a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for this , herself was always looking for one , they are always going on about them in Slimming world.

The girl that runs slimming world says she does everything in it , so hopefully its that good now herself finally got one :D

shivers27 wrote: »
    I NEVER par-boil the potatoes before oven baking them for chips. No need IMO. I only use two tea spoons of oil for a big tray and turn twice maximum!
    horses for courses i guess, but i think they come out much nicer from the oven when you par boil them first, but regardless if i've boiled them first or not and then ovened, by comparison the actifry'd chips still come out much better than any i've made in the oven.

i also made some lovely crisps in my actifry last night. i just took the paddle out to begin with and laid them in the bottom of the pan in a single layer until they started to firm up, then back in with the paddle to finish them off and they were very tasty, easily as good as any shop bought crisps (even the fancy ones) with a little splash of salt and vinegar. :)

it's also great for finger food for our toddler. i usually cut up some carrots, parsnips, potato & sweet potato and throw them in the actifry and they all come out lovely crispy for him without being fatty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Think I seen them in Johnstown SC, Navan for under €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

squod wrote: »
    Think I seen them in Johnstown SC, Navan for under €90.
    Highly unlikely. B&M stores in the republic are asking big money for these things.

argos have the actifry plus (1.2kg, instead of the 1kg, but smaller than the family one which is 1.5kg) for €151.99 at the moment, although there was a BA for it a while ago at about €125.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9066650/Trail/searchtext%3EACTIFRY.htm

most other irish retailers have the 1kg one for more than that at the moment (€160+), so it's still a good deal if you want one right now.

if i'd had the patience to wait i'd have gone for the 1.2kg one as that little bit of extra room would have been handy from time to time i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got the black Philips Airfryer today for €115

It's every bit as good as you all have been saying :)

Made roast parsnip, frozen veg samosas and home made fries, all perfect!

The fries were very impressive. Cut potatoes into medium chips, leave in water for 30 mins to de-starch. Dry (used towel), put 1 tablespoon of oil on 0.8kg of chips and spread out. 30mins in the fryer (can go straight in, no need for pre-heating as you do with a conventional oven!) shaking the pan every 5-8 minutes

Result!

So cheap to use, healthy, very quick, no smells, no smoke, a bit noisy and a bit small

800g of chips is enough for about 3 adults (or 2 hungry ones). I knew this fryer was on the small side for use in a family, but the bigger one is very expensive and out of budget

Fortunately this cooker is very quick, so doing batches is not such a problem. The veg Samosa went into a cold cooker frozen and only took 10 minutes. And they really were as good as from a deep fat fryer, but less fatty of course

I'll be using this a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

stimpson wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong. Almost everything I've cooked in mine has been awesome. Oven chips are excellent. Chicken rubbed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and about 20 mins at 200 deg is sublime. Crispy skin and moist meat.

I love my airfryer. Price above is good. I paid £99 a couple of months ago on amazon.
    completely agree, the guy has to be doing it wrong, not giving the food enough time or something.
    and thanks for the chicken tip.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry if its an obvious question but is eating chips from these a few times a week as healthy as eating the potatoes boiled or steamed or are they still bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The Airfryer is great, if you think of it as a small fast fan oven rather than as a deep fat fryer replacement then you are much closer to reality of the usefulness of it.

Simple example, got caught out with lunch for the kids, forgot to get bread or meat for sandwiched and didn't realise until 45 mins before we were due to leave, so I popped in two chicken breasts for 11 mins (I always slightly overcook meat slightly for the kids), then with 5 mins to go popped in some part baked rolls, everything done to perfection, left it all cool then sent the kids off with freshly cooked chicken breast and pesto in still warm rolls, apparently the smell drove their classes mad for half the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

fenris wrote: »
    The Airfryer is great, if you think of it as a small fast fan oven rather than as a deep fat fryer replacement then you are much closer to reality

That's not doing it justice!

I agree it is a small fast oven for many things. I just roasted a red pepper in it. 10 minutes from cold. It would take a conventional fan oven about 15 minutes to warm up plus 25 minutes to do the same job

But you can also use it as a deep fat fryer replacement. The home made fresh chips I made from fresh potatoes earlier were every bit as good / crisp as deep fat fried chips. Without the fat of course :)

Just made some carrot crisps as a snack. Slice up a carrot very thinly with a cheese slicer. Put in bowl with a teaspoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Mix well. In the fryer for a good 10-12 minutes at 180C shaking it every 3 minutes. Yum, healthy quick cheap snack :cool:

Advertisement