Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hell?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

OK, so Jesus gives a choice. Follow me and you go upstairs to the party otherwise you go downstairs and burn for eternity. That doesn't sound like a very nice choice. Why can't we just get an option to cease to exist? We neither go to heaven or hell?

Surely that would be minimum a loving God should give us?

In fact, if he was really loving we should get a few more options such as reincarnation? OR going to another heaven where atheists could leave in peace and try and set up their own community?

How come we get a come with me or the worst possible existence you could imagine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

OK, so Jesus gives a choice. Follow me and you go upstairs to the party otherwise you go downstairs and burn for eternity. That doesn't sound like a very nice choice. Why can't we just get an option to cease to exist? We neither go to heaven or hell?

In fact, if he was really loving we should get a few more options such as reincarnation? OR going to another heaven where atheists could leave in peace and try and set up their own community?

How come we get a come with me or the worst possible existence you could imagine?

WHITE SMOKE!!!!!!

I'm sure the new CEO will answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What better way to get people to follow your religion? "Live as we say and you'll have eternal happiness. Don't, and you'll have eternal punishment"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

The op is either a satirical joke or a ball of contradictions....

Good laughs reading that,
    nice one :)

If you met God in the after life Atheism would be non existent ....unless you follow the tripe of most believers are an atheist one way or the other, I believe in Thor but dont believe in Mocha therefore I'm an Atheist :S

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

because Christianity as a religion is basically an abusive relationship. I love you but will punish you unless you worship me without question, but I love you. except I get stabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The expectation of the punishment of hell for non-believers is the ultimate vengeance fantasy pious ***** use to contain their internalised vindictiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

why are you asking the question in this forum, surely it's a question for the Christianity forum? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Some of them say "separation from god IS hell, that's all there is to it" rather than the vindictive "do as I say or YOU'LL GET IN TROUBLE NAH NAH"
    Non existence would still be better though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Christianity isn't big on opt-out clauses. You're either in or you're in. No other choices.

Non existence or eternal life sounds like a ball of ****e to me...
    Sure I don't have the time to do all the adrenaline sports I pursue,climb mountains,surf Aileens, Rileys...
    Whitewater rafting.
    Fish for salmon in Russia,Canada for a few years in a row.
    Catch cod from a shingle beach,a record bass...
    Give me reincarnation as a human being any day I love life

There's medication and professional services for people who don't want to exist,you can also call a helpline.

Life is good enjoy it when ya can and if you're finding it hard I hope it gets better because you're worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A loving God wouldn't put people through the torture of terminal illness and harvest them young. Logic doesn't seem to be his thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

koth wrote: »
    why are you asking the question in this forum, surely it's a question for the Christianity forum? :confused:
    I'm thinking its because TR is banned from there.

Honestly, we're all agreed the concept is nonsense; it's probably one of the main reasons people here don't believe.

Failing to see any point to this thread, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Some Christians do believe the final punishment is non-existence, it's called Annihilationism. Others believe that everyone will be (eventually) saved, which is known as universalism. Both views are a lot more common than people think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Geomy wrote: »
    Non existence or eternal life sounds like a ball of ****e to me...
    Sure I don't have the time to do all the adrenaline sports I pursue,climb mountains,surf Aileens, Rileys...
    Whitewater rafting.
    Fish for salmon in Russia,Canada for a few years in a row.
    Catch cod from a shingle beach,a record bass...
    Give me reincarnation as a human being any day I love life

There's medication and professional services for people who don't want to exist,you can also call a helpline.

Life is good enjoy it when ya can and if you're finding it hard I hope it gets better because you're worth it :)

Bertie? Is that you?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Bertie? Is that you?

Not at all at all love,this is Mr Happy
    But people should avail of all the professional help they need,thinking of not wanting to exist is not good.
    Anyone who doesn't enjoy life is entitled to a good life,help is out there :)

Bertie ????

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Some Christians do believe the final punishment is non-existence, it's called Annihilationism. Others believe that everyone will be (eventually) saved, which is known as universalism. Both views are a lot more common than people think.

Well in all fairness,how can non existence be a punishment ?

Sure if you don't exist,you won't be able to be conscious of non existence...

The whole point of punishment is to learn some sort of lesson or feel remorse for the reason you were punished in the first place.

Not at all at all love,this is Mr Happy
    But people should avail of all the professional help they need,thinking of not wanting to exist is not good.
    Anyone who doesn't enjoy life is entitled to a good life,help is out there :)

Bertie ????

Swap 'existence' for 'economy' and you get the picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well in all fairness,how can non existence be a punishment ?

You're asking this regarding an institution based largely on peoples fear of death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Why does it even have to be cease to exist.

Why didn't this "loving" God simply make us eternal to begin with, here on Earth?

.... Cause it's not real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Eh how could Universalism work? Whether the Christian god exists or not there are many of us out there who would consider him a right prick so he'd either have to put up with us in heaven complaining about him or change our very minds (wherever they happen to be in a soul) which makes him an even scarier prick when you think about it, as free will is only temporary and all it results in is a bit of punishment followed by some soul brainwashing before welcoming whatever version of us exists in to heaven; Because it sure as hell (lol) wouldn't be the same person. Actually that's a more terrifying idea than hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Slow day in the office I take it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Having to spend eternity with the religious is my idea of the ultimate punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Penn wrote: »
    What better way to get people to follow your religion? "Live as we say and you'll have eternal happiness. Don't, and you'll have eternal punishment"

It's an extension of the old tactic of "if you don't follow god's will you'll get et by the lions."

It's just slightly more sophisticated.

If you met God in the after life Atheism would be non existent

If I met god in a non-existent place everybody would believe in him? Maybe he'll convince me that 2+2=5 as well.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Eh how could Universalism work? Whether the Christian god exists or not there are many of us out there who would consider him a right prick

He is a prick, full stop. Any rational reading of the bible will show that god is simply one of those kids who is wont to pulling the wings off living flies and setting cats tails on fire, just with a lot more power and a following.

If I met god in a non-existent place everybody would believe in him? Maybe he'll convince me that 2+2=5 as well.

Is that the Christian God or are you referring to Mocha ?

Is that the Christian God or are you referring to Mocha ?

Mocha - The God of Coffee? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mocha

Or do you mean Macha - The Goddess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macha

Mocha - The God of Coffee? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mocha

Or do you mean Macha - The Goddess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macha

I'll be having hot cross buns and a Mocha with Macha on good Friday
    :)

Macha the goddess I meant thanks for the correction :)

I'll be having hot cross buns and a Mocha with Macha on good Friday
    :)

Macha the goddess I meant thanks for the correction :)

Oh you don't want to have mocha with Macha :eek:... she makes Kali look laid back.

• Advertisement

Oh you don't want to have mocha with Macha :eek:... she makes Kali look laid back.

Shile Ni Gig is a better bet lol

Nothing like a lie in with Shile ;)

Advertisement