Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a bicycle in Drumcondra over night?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know of a safe place to leave a bycycle in Drumcondra on a daily basis over night?

I plan on getting the train from Maynooth, getting off as drumcondra and cycling to East Point bussiness park (work is moving there :( ) but will need to leave the bike in drumcondra at night and at weekends... asking for trouble?

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Would you be better off going to Connolly and leaving your bike there? I thought there was some bike parking there. There's a car park just off platform 1 which I think is an IE staff car park but should be a little safer than drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hey,

Does anyone know of a safe place to leave a bycycle in Drumcondra on a daily basis over night?

I plan on getting the train from Maynooth, getting off as drumcondra and cycling to East Point bussiness park (work is moving there :( ) but will need to leave the bike in drumcondra at night and at weekends... asking for trouble?

Niall

Maybe a battered old bike would be better but I still dont think it would be safe. With a good lock it would probably not be stolen but possibly vandalised.

What about a walk down Clonliffe Road to Easpoint instead..not that far..only about 1.5 miles.
    or else what about a folding bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I definitely wouldn't leave a bike out all night on a long-term basis. You'd be surprised how quickly the local scumbags pick up on those sorts of things. Learned the hard way - lost the key to a bike before and was waiting on a tool to cut the lock. 4 days later and the bike was gone! It wasn't even visible from the street either.

As an alternative to cycling I think some of the Maynooth trains go to Docklands station. You can get a shuttle bus from there to Eastpoint. If not then you could get a DART from Connolly to Clontarf Rd and then the other shuttle bus. Effort/time/money though.

Funny, my job is moving there too - I even made a thread about it - Same company? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You could always see if you could park the bike in the Spencer Dock apartment development, get the train to Docklands, collect the bike from Spencer Dock and then cycle up to East Point

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Cheers All,

Yeah Connoly would be the next stop and option, the only issue I have is quite often, the train would be stopped outside connoly for few minute while a line cleared up, so could end up being another 10 min on the train just to head back out. I havent walked the route from drumcondra yet, so if it's short enough - a coffee and a stroll might work. I had also looked at a fold-up bike, apart from being kinda pricey for one which is light(ish), it might be a pain getting onto a packed train with it, but I havent ruled it out!!!

Thanks again for the input, it looks like at least there are options, I just need to pick the right one!

carlmango11, Pemboke Street to East Point?

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

when the dublin bike scheme expands into docklands - as it is proposed to do this year
    walk to bike stand by gardiner st church and cycle to nearest docklands station..
    but a walk down clonliffe would probably end up quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, get the train to Clontarf via a stop-off at Connolly, and then walk the 14 minutes or get the shuttle bus.

Last time I was there (years back) there was a Centra in the business park and also a sandwich bar. Doubt they're still there, though :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As an alternative to cycling I think some of the Maynooth trains go to Docklands station.

Along the same line from Clonsilla, but don't they generally start in Dunboyne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

carlmango11, Pemboke Street to East Point?

Yup :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

you can take the bike on the train after peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

My wife is working in East Point, and walking to/fro Phibbsborough / Drumcondra (depending on where she gets off the bus). Since the weather got better she is planning to cycle, but the big question is - where to leave the bike? We've got old rust-affected bike, so it won't be primary target, but anything left in a wrong spot will surely be swiped.
    Any CCTV'd places around the area? There is bicycle stand beside Drumcondra Station - is it safe to leave bike there overnight though? I was rather thinking somewhere on side roads along Whitworth Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Are you married to the idea of a cycle for fitness reasons?

East Point run free bus transfers to/from each of Connolly, Docklands (Arrow) and Clontarf Road (Dart) stations.

MrDerp wrote: »
    Are you married to the idea of a cycle for fitness reasons?

East Point run free bus transfers to/from each of Connolly, Docklands (Arrow) and Clontarf Road (Dart) stations.

It's all about time, actually. She finds it faster to walk from Drumcondra to East Point than continue on the bus to O'Connell str, walk to Connolly and take shuttle. With a bike she would shave off further 10mins each way. That's 1.5hr a week going towards flexi-time, that transforms into an additional day off every 5 weeks to spend with kids.

Transfer buses are unreliable I was told, they do not adhere to the schedule, they're slow, and you don't always get to the bus stop to depart straight away - more time lost waiting.

MrDerp wrote: »

Shuttle bus from Connolly Station has been cancelled since December. Now they only run to Clontarf Road and Docklands.

The bike got stolen this morning from Drumcondra Rd from a pub front in front of security camera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Report to it to Ballymun garda station. I find them to be the most helpful station on the northside by far.

If you are looking for a cheap replacement. Look out for the garda bike auction. I got a €300 bike for €60. Its every 6-8 weeks.

It might turn up.

Advertisement