Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PhD Application

• 13-03-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I hope this is the right place to post this, but anyway. I'm in the process of filling out an application form for a PhD scholarship and basically I'm just looking to see if anyone on here has a few tips to make my application stand out?

My main fear is that due to the fact that I have a 2.1 average that this will automatically rule me out, is this true? I have gotten 1.1s in several individual modules throughout my years but for some reason I have never been able to maintain that standard for a year. I also have lab experience in the area that I am applying for and I have also written reviews on the area for exams and projects so I think I know it well and am able to demonstrate an interest.

Cheers folks, any help/tips at all will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scottweiss

You haven't provided enough information for anybody to provide you with tips -in particular, what are of study, and to what country you are applying.
    The requirements for PhD vary widely across disciplines, and across countries.

One suggestion I would have is to get in touch with the department to which you are applying; talk to faculty whose research interests align with your own; and also see if you can talk to graduate students.

IMO, a 2.1 does not rule you out - depending of course on the competitiveness of the program. I think at PhD level what faculty are most interested in is your motivation and commitment.

Advertisement