Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

PhD Application

• 13-03-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ dropping_bombs

I hope this is the right place to post this, but anyway. I'm in the process of filling out an application form for a PhD scholarship and basically I'm just looking to see if anyone on here has a few tips to make my application stand out?

My main fear is that due to the fact that I have a 2.1 average that this will automatically rule me out, is this true? I have gotten 1.1s in several individual modules throughout my years but for some reason I have never been able to maintain that standard for a year. I also have lab experience in the area that I am applying for and I have also written reviews on the area for exams and projects so I think I know it well and am able to demonstrate an interest.

Cheers folks, any help/tips at all will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scottweiss

You haven't provided enough information for anybody to provide you with tips -in particular, what are of study, and to what country you are applying.
    The requirements for PhD vary widely across disciplines, and across countries.

One suggestion I would have is to get in touch with the department to which you are applying; talk to faculty whose research interests align with your own; and also see if you can talk to graduate students.

IMO, a 2.1 does not rule you out - depending of course on the competitiveness of the program. I think at PhD level what faculty are most interested in is your motivation and commitment.

Advertisement