Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations Champions and a first grand slam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Whew, thank feck. That was intense stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Feck!

Yeeeeeeesssss!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Well done girls!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

decisions wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeesssss!

Did they win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Well done ladies. Weather and pitch were awful but they did what was needed. :D

6-3 final score.

Well done girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Did they win

6-3 to Ireland after what Michael Corcoran would describe as "100,000 phases".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Magnificent performance and defence. Whatever the female version of "Balls of Steel" should be applicable :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great work to hold on those last ten minutes :)

Congratulations to the team :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Change that thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tough attritional match that. Bloody well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

Savage stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

What a win! Tough conditions and tough opposition but they managed to hold on.

Fantastic achievemment. Well done ladies, so proud of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

My nerves are in shreds. Wonderful discipline at the end when the Italians were going through the phases. One infringement and a grand slam was lost! Well done girls; fantastic win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No main sponsorship on the shirt. Is a pity. Hopefully the Slam will attract a decent sponsor that will put some money in and snsure that the women's game is looked out for financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

With the women much more likely to make it to the olympics than the men, I'm sure they won't have trouble picking up sponsorship over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder will the IRFU do what the RFU do and put the womens international matches on after the mens during the 6 nations at Twickenham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

With the women much more likely to make it to the olympics than the men, I'm sure they won't have trouble picking up sponsorship over the next few years

You can't wear a sponsor at the olympics though?

Well done Ireland, those conditions were tough. They left everything out there and went home with all. :D

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    You can't wear a sponsor at the olympics though?

Well done Ireland, those conditions were tough. They left everything out there and went home with all. :D

Yeah but there'll still be plenty of interest before the tournament itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

_66444956_rugbycele624.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

So happy for the women, the spirit they played with today was immense. What impressed me most was their calm discipline inside the last ten mins when the Italians were on the attack. I couldn't but feel that our men would have conceded a penalty in those circumstances.

Would have been nice to see the other Irish teams that were in Rome this weekend at the game supporting the women. It's been known for over a week that they were champions and that the slam was on. Could the boys not have stayed on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

athtrasna wrote: »
    So happy for the women, the spirit they played with today was immense. What impressed me most was their calm discipline inside the last ten mins when the Italians were on the attack. I couldn't but feel that our men would have conceded a penalty in those circumstances.

Would have been nice to see the other Irish teams that were in Rome this weekend at the game supporting the women. It's been known for over a week that they were champions and that the slam was on. Could the boys not have stayed on?

In fairness, the lads have games coming up next weekend in the build up to the HC quarters. Probably had no choice but to go home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

trouttrout wrote: »
    In fairness, the lads have games coming up next weekend in the build up to the HC quarters. Probably had no choice but to go home

Internationals have next weekend off in keeping with IRFU policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Yeah but there'll still be plenty of interest before the tournament itself.

I suppose they will get some sponsorship out of it yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Ladies 7's won the plate in Hong Kong earlier today so some more silverware is on the way back.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-rugby-womens-sevens-plate-netherlands-851957-Mar2013/?utm_source=shortlink

P_1 wrote: »
    The Ladies 7's won the plate in Hong Kong earlier today so some more silverware is on the way back.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-rugby-womens-sevens-plate-netherlands-851957-Mar2013/?utm_source=shortlink

Not Hong Kong actually, but China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The Women's side (not 'Ladies' - a bugbear of mine. They're not golfers) beat Australia in the Plate semi-final, then beat the Dutch side, most of whom are fulltime, in the final. Great starting point for hopefully more ahead in beating two of the six core women's teams for silverware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Great to see the ladies doing so well.

Advertisement