Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To look for a job is an unpaid job.

Options
  • 11-03-2013 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

To look for a job is an unpaid job. All the things you have to do to find a job. To apply for a job. Writing a good letter. To visit fairs. To prepare yourself for an interview etc. etc.
    Post edited by Nody on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Looking for a job takes effort alright... but everything worthwhile takes effort! For example, you could get McDonald's or you could buy the ingredients for a meal and make something delicious...

Don't give up and you will eventually find a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What's your point? What about JSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

And luckily for you, the Irish government pay you a salary, in the form of JSA, to sit and home and do just that.

Lots of people manage to look for work while they already have a job (which may have long hours and no computer access) and people here in Spain receive NO HELP at all when looking for work. What do you want, 30K a year to write applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Having been made redundant recently after years working I am amazed at the amount of support there is out there for jobseekers.

Help writing CVs, courses up to masters level , one on ones with DSP staff , and other forms of help.

All free - to you :)
    Theresia wrote: »
    To look for a job is an unpaid job. All the things you have to do to find a job. To apply for a job. Writing a good letter. To visit fairs. To prepare yourself for an interview etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

bullpost wrote: »
    Having been made redundant recently after years working I am amazed at the amount of support there is out there for jobseekers.

Help writing CVs, courses up to masters level , one on ones with DSP staff , and other forms of help.

All free - to you :)

Was made redundent over 3 years ago after many years, have worked on contracts since, with only short periods of having to sign on, have worked for 3 different employers, and one of those have asked me back for three separate contracts.

During a period of unemployment, I wanted to do a graduate diploma in my local college. No funding was available, as the course was part time (10 hours per week) and I live 60 miles for another college where I could do the same course full time. Unfortunately, with a young family, mortgage, bills etc. Its hard to live and impossible to introduce 120 mile a day commute to the budget.

Supports are available, but are not being targeted. I feel that a fresh qualification would really have boosted my chances to find permanent employment in my field of experience, and if I had found a job during the course, I would happily have paid back any fees the department had paid.

BTEA is a great payment for 20 somethings, or people fortunate enough to live close to a university or college, but the removal of the grant a couple of years ago makes the payment virtually unusable for many other people.

I hope everything works out well post redundancy for you. But I feel your opinion of the supports available will change if you are unfortunate enough to need them over an extended period, or may already be skewed by where you live:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Also I think courses of no intrinsic value, often run by contractors to Fas, are being used to massage live register figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

Boskowski wrote: »
    What's your point? What about JSA?

I don't receive an JSA.

I was talking with a friend about looking for a job. It is an interesting statement. To look for a job is an unpaid job. Just curious what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    And luckily for you, the Irish government pay you a salary, in the form of JSA, to sit and home and do just that.

Lots of people manage to look for work while they already have a job (which may have long hours and no computer access) and people here in Spain receive NO HELP at all when looking for work. What do you want, 30K a year to write applications?

I don't receive an JSA. I probably have no right for that. I have applied for it, bur they told me already I have little chance. To short in Ireland for that. I am Dutch. I had a job in Ireland, but lost it unfortunately.

To look for a job is an unpaid job. Just curious what other people think.
    I wouldn't agree.

Looking for work can be incredibly time-consuming. That doesn't make it a job. That's like saying that doing housework or having a social life is a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't receive an JSA. I probably have no right for that. I have applied for it, bur they told me already I have little chance. To short in Ireland for that. I am Dutch. I had a job in Ireland, but lost it unfortunately.

What are your competencies? I could guide you in the right direction if you can PM me with what you are looking for and your skills. I know a few friends who are on the look out for Dutch speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'd say theres a good chance Theresia has found a job in the last 10 years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement