Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Most important point:
    Wear headphones for the Save Moga Village quest! Seriously. The music is excellent.

>>>Will do!

Secondary points:

Honestly, it's not that hard of a quest. It's more a cool event.

>>>I've seen people on forums 'crying' about hard this quest is!...

If you want to be extra prepared, trade for a stack of 10 UW Ballista Ammo from the Argosy Captain and bring them with you (saves time gathering them 1 by 1).

>>>Did this last night after I saw them appearing in his trade list...:D

Also if you want to be extra prepared bring dash juices (because you will never not want to be moving quickly) and barrel bombs if you want some easy damage on a big monster.

>>>Good points! I noticed the Argosy Captain had Large Barrel Bombs + to trade. Thought that might be a little clue alright!

Do leave the boneblade at home though, since you can't paralyze this boss. Grab whatever your strongest (in order) element of Dragon > Thunder > Fire. Failing that just bring whatever has the best raw and sharpness.

>>>That boneblade IS the strongest I have right now! Gives good raw and sharpness... I'll investigate other weapons I have upgraded.

Thanks for your help - Very much appreciated. Keep the posts/tips coming...

twinQuins wrote: »
    Made some HR Jaggi armour since the LR Wroggi set was wearing thin on the HR village quests.
    I'll probably just make a new set, since I love Razor Sharp so much (used LR Lagi armour in Tri for it all the way to making my Vangis set).

Remember, you can
    mine Uragaan's back when you knock it over to get firestones and lava nuggets.

Also, for the key quest you might want to bring some
    Large Barrel Bomb+s to help breaking the horn and beard. Just remember if you do to bring a Small Barrel Bomb to detonate them, otherwise you'll have to attack them yourself.

Thanks for your help too! :)

I normally bring large/small barrel bombs to ALL quests since hitting 5* in the Village... Several of my final kills have been down to explosive damage after a monster has become weakened. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

twinQuins wrote: »
    Made some HR Jaggi armour since the LR Wroggi set was wearing thin on the HR village quests.
    I'll probably just make a new set, since I love Razor Sharp so much (used LR Lagi armour in Tri for it all the way to making my Vangis set).

I used LR Guild Bard for most of Tri (I even two-manned my Alatreon urgent wearing it), because of its great skills and pimping hat; but it got heavily nerfed in this game.
    I made it anyway because I like the appearance, but it's really bad now :P

In MH3U my most used armours were LR Jaggi (Gun and Blade), LR Wroggi and LR Guild Bard, once I got to high rank I armoursphere'd the hell out of all three of these sets because I still find them useful.

I also made LR Barroth and Bnahabra but left them gathering dust because I didn't like them as much

The only high rank armour I've made is Volvidon S, which I was able to gem to get Attack Up Large, Evasion+2 and Tremor Resistance.

Those are ridiculously good general use skills in my opinion (and especially against Duramboros and Diablos) and fully outclasses LR Jaggi in every fight except ones where I REALLY want Negate Stun.

Its only weakness is not having any specific weapon skills, but I'll definitely keep wearing it while I look for other sets.

I'm thinking Agnaktor U for Lance, and Nargacuga for general gunning.

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    I normally bring large/small barrel bombs to ALL quests

Solid tactic. Bombs do great damage.

If you like Bombs you might be interested in the Bombadier skill.

It increases bomb damage, which is incidental to it's other skill: All bomb combinations done in the field have 100% success chance. So if you bring 2 LBB+, 3 LBB, 10 barrels, 10 gunpowders and 10 scatterfish, you can use 15 LBB+s(!!!) per outing.

Bombadier also enchances the Slime weapons you can make from Brachydios so it has much wider use as a skill than it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Guild armour's nice but I could never get used to the arena. It can be fun but I prefer to hunt with my preferred weapon. Still good practice, as you've pointed out.

I might make some Volvidon S, if you're able to gem those skills in. Though I use hammers quite often so I may look into something with Focus. The Evasion would be nice for switch axes and long swords (I don't use them much, I swear!) all the same.
    Never really used the Evasion skills with Diablos (usually going lance unless it was Black Diablos which oddly I found to be easier) but with that kind of setup I could take something like the Amber Slash.

Really, I never bothered with much beyond extending or increasing sharpness. Extra damage is nice for shortening hunts but I've sort of become used to being able to re-sharpen in one scrape and evading any potential hits.

Just a shame I haven't had much time for this, as I'd really like to work up some weapon trees and get a few good gunlances.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Killed the Damn lighting lizard ffs! What a pain in a hole. I love monster Hunter a lot, but this underwater hunting is really starting to work on my fits! I always hate underwater sections In games and this is like freaking marathon! :(

Anyway, I should be sleeping already. I wonder what quests opened up now and who is my biggest enemy after I killed that bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

After much picking on ants, deer and the cats from the Craven ads, I have finally earned my stripes. HR2 and there's an imaginary Great Jaggi head hanging over my fire place tonight. And now, sleep...

Banjo wrote: »
    After much picking on ants, deer and the cats from the Craven ads, I have finally earned my stripes. HR2 and there's an imaginary Great Jaggi head hanging over my fire place tonight. And now, sleep...

Your first Jaggi is always the best Jaggi! Get used to hunt those as you will wear its skin in you a lot! I checked last night my play time. It's 22h and 90% of it is in Jaggi set! ;)

Can I just take a moment to thank ShadowHearth and the other guys from early on in the thread who took the time to point out why this game was worth giving a chance, and why the Demo should not in any way be taken to be indicative of the gameplay.

(I mean, it is indicative of the gameplay, if you play it right, but unless you've already played the game you probably won't)

I was putting off the HR1 Ludroth urgent quest because I figured a Ludroth would be some big feck-off jellyfish or something* (ludroth sets mentioned sponge as an ingredient, the description said it was aquatic...) and I didn't fancy an under-water fight. So I went to the port and had a look in the Arena - they had a grudge match with my old mate the Easter Bunny from the demo! So I signed up, 'cause it looked like a reasonably consequence-free environment for training.

The last time we met, on a frozen tundra in the demo, he mostly handed my Rs to me, with only frantic button mashing, a whole bunch of potions and those two psychotic sidekicks keeping me alive. But now I'm a seasoned hunter. I've stalked mushrooms. I've tracked defenseless deer. I've swatted giant mosquitoes till they exploded. I'm a motherfathering Monster Hunter!

And by jingo did it show. I was no longer button-mashing road-kill on the tundra floor. I was an indestructible twin-bladed dervish. He'd rear, he'd charge, I'd already be out of the way and slashing his calves as he passed. He'd throw snowballs, I'd jeer and tell him to aim at where I was moving to, not where I used to be. And then I'd lie and tell my wife I was talking to someone online. By the time he was drooling, I was showboating, sharpening my blades or drinking unnecessary potions while he charged at me, only to dodge at the last second. And then I brought down the beast. 6m 1 sec - damn the showboating, it cost me a silver medal!

(I realise the Easter Bunny is not exactly a top shelf enemy. Don't take this moment away from me!)

Anyway, the point is, as has been pointed out by the seasoned players already, this game is at it's best when you stride out to meet your giant hulking doom, and come back with your giant hulking doom's head on a stick. It's epic.

And the Great Jaggi? He never stood a chance :)

____

*It's not a jelly fish at all. And it's not an it, it's a them. And it's not a big deal.

Edit : Worth noting, for balance purposes, I tried fighting the Easter Bunny again immediately after, but with a Great Sword (ie not the long sword, the REALLY long sword) - which I hadn't used before - instead of the twin blades I've been using for all 8 hours of my MH career. It was a very different fight, and far less awe inspiring as I came to terms with the slowness of the weapon and the required accuracy for scoring hits. I was crap again, constantly swinging and missing or having swings interrupted by charges and ice-balls. He scored a knockdown and had me very worried at one point. I did not do my "Are you not entertained???" walk-around of the kitchen during that fight :) Eventually, despite him looking very angry and not a bit tired at all, I smacked him a good one on the head and he went down, but I definitely need a few hours in the dojo with the great sword before I go up against a real monster again.

Next up : Bagpipes!

Oh no... now I'm starting to feel all hyped about buying this for the WiiU so my family can share in how awesome I am.. Damn this game!

Fair play to you m8, for sticking around and giving this game a chance. Majority of people are missing out so much by ignoring this fantastic game. Now you know for sure why we were saying that demo was a very poor representation of monster Hunter! ;) I wish more western gamers would give this game a chance :(.

I am noob myself in monster Hunter world. I would be on the lowest step of food chain compared to guys here! :D the reason I knew MH games are awesome, because I knew about franchise and played some of monster Hunter 2 on ps vita ( psp version).

we have a very very small ( unfortunately) community here, but one of the nicest ever in video game history. I have seen many and 99% are not pretty... Just do what ever Baal says ( sorry, can't remember all name and I am on the phone too lol) and you will be golden! He knows his ****! :D

R.I.P. Ceadeus
    He 'departed' @ 12.30pm today!

The cutscene and dialogue afterwards was brilliant.
    Did the 1st part with my longsword: Ananta Boneblade+

2nd stage was much easier after finding my bearings...
    but, of course, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't done it yet!

ShadowHearth - You'll adore this fight...
    as I know how much you love underwater fighting! :D On a serious note...(if you couldn't resist reading this): never give up on this fight. When you figure out what to do...it's easy enough! ;)

Thanks to UberPrinny_Baal and twinQuins for the suggestions/help...

Really nice surprise from the Argosy Captain after completion! I liked his suggestion about going to the port (at this point) too.

I went back and did an earlier village hunt quest and completed it in minutes. Actually had another 'boss' join in...and I just laughed and slaughtered BOTH! I only used the supply items. Free Hunting rewards is a great touch too.

6* HR Village Quests await me...

I feel like a true Monster Hunter now...but as Cha-Cha said "it's only the beginning........."!!! :)

• Advertisement

Anyway, the point is, as has been pointed out by the seasoned players already, this game is at it's best when you stride out to meet your giant hulking doom, and come back with your giant hulking doom's head on a stick. It's epic.
    we have a very very small ( unfortunately) community here, but one of the nicest ever in video game history. I have seen many and 99% are not pretty... Just do what ever Baal says ( sorry, can't remember all name and I am on the phone too lol) and you will be golden! He knows his ****! :D
    FLOODY777 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Ceadeus
    Thanks to UberPrinny_Baal and twinQuins for the suggestions/help...

I feel like a true Monster Hunter now...but as Cha-Cha said "it's only the beginning........."!!! :)

Haha, it's great to see you guys enjoying yourself so much. I'm glad you stuck with it through the initial awful portion of the game. I wish there was a way Capcom could make the beginning of the game less..... crap and boring? It's a pretty difficult design problem though, and Japanese developers are pretty stubborn. They might just continue to rely on losers like me to do loads of free promotion for them via word of mouth, but the gains from that are kind small in scale :D

It's worth throwing out at this point that if anyone is up for an offline Monster Hunter meet-up in two weekend's time in Dublin City (27th/28th of April) I'm available.
    If anyone else on 3DS is interested, our previous coffee shop meet-up was good fun. Not sure what to say to Wii U owners. Unless you want to host a meet-up at your home (a very tall order) you'll just have to enjoy your online mode with HD graphics, off-TV play and infinite easily available g-rank hunters to shepherd you through hard quests at any time of day. Suckers!
    ...I tried fighting the Easter Bunny again immediately after, but with a Great Sword

Great Sword is a very advanced weapon, since so much of it relies on prediction and planning (go back and watch the "Gotcha Bitch" video I linked on an earlier page if you want see Psychic-God-Level Greatswording).

I like to bring it on some quests, but I'm clearly terrible with it.

It's worth messing around with though, since a Lv.3 Greatsword charge attack is the single most powerful weapon attack in the game.

I dunno if it helps but I find Greatsword easier to use on harder monster, who are generally bigger, stronger and slower.

I'd much rather bring it to fight Rathian or Rathalos than I would Lagombi or even the Great Jaggi. Maybe try it out in Freehunt the next time you see something BIG appear ;)

Right I had a nerd rage moment last night! So by the looks of it to progress in 5 star quests I need to capture some bastard. So I went to train capturing Jaggi in 2 star quest... I spent 1k gold and haven't fecking completed the Damon quest!!!!! Grrrrrrrr! I just keep killing it. Or wasting a trap. Just could not capture the bastard. Only once he got to a limbing state. He fecked off to other zone and ate after! ****! Got it once to water his mouth, got trap dropped and he just walked around and went for a meal.... God fecking damn it!!!

Any tips on capturing monster lads? I keep killing the Damon Jaggi. Squishy bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

Right I had a nerd rage moment last night! So by the looks of it to progress in 5 star quests I need to capture some eastward. So I went to train capturing Jaggi in 2 star quest... I spent 1k gold and haven't checking completed the Damon quest!!!!! Grrrrrrrr! I just keep killing it. Or wasting a trap. Just could not capture the bastard. Only once he got to a limbing state. He decked off to other zone and ate after! ****! Got it once to water his mouth, got trap dropped and he just walked around and went for a meal.... God fecking damn it!!!

Any tips on capturing monster lads? I keep killing the Damon Jaggi. Squishy bastard!

Don't lay the trap immediately when u see him limping. Let him escape to another area and follow him there. Immediately lay the trap at the new area and get your tranquilizer bombs at hand. Lure him to the trap and bomb him. Collect rewards. €€€€.
    Also the shock trap is better for capturing than the pitfall one though you can capture with both.

Regards
    Gecko

Something else to consider: if you've five slots over armour, weapons and your charm, you can gem in Perception jewels (each giving +2 to the skill). If you get ten points in the skill you'll get the Capture Guru skill: when you throw a paintball at a monster you see an outline of them on the map, right? With Capture Guru, that outline will flash when their health is low enough that they can be capped.

As Gecko says, when you see a monster limping, wait for them to leave the area first. However, it's worth mentioning a monster can be capped before it starts limping. I think it's something like 30-40% of it's health it can be capped at and it's about 20% that it starts limping at.

However, as with many things in MH, with time and practice you'll get to know when you've dealt enough damage. For now, you may just want to wait until it's limping or use Capture Guru. When you've been attacking for a while, pause when the monster isn't attacking and observe them. If they start to turn suddenly and not as smoothly - or slower - than usual then chances are they're going to start limping off.

Also, if you see a monster drooling or stopping to growl or grumble (or both) then it means they're exhausted. In that case, it's likely they're going to go somewhere to get something to eat (or otherwise refresh themselves - in the case of Royal Ludroth, it recovers stamina by standing under a waterfall).

@Shadowhearth: I know that feel bro. Trying to capture the first Gendrome in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite drove me mad, I had no idea how to do. Had to look it up online and was genuinely mad at how unintuitive it was.

There are three conditions for capture:

(1) Monster health below a certain amount
    (2) Monster in a trap
    (3) Monster tranquiliser status = 100

The most common way to do this is to wait for it to limp, have it move into a trap, and hit it with 2 tranq bombs, but you can technically do it in any order.

The most useful skill for capture quests is "Capture Guru", which requires 10 points of perception, and you can get a +2 decoration in one slot of armour (So you need 5 free slots between your armour and weapons, or a charm that gives +Perception).

My LR Wroggi armour is registered with Capture guru, since each of the 5 pieces has a single slot. What this does is that it makes paintballed monsters flash on the map when capturable. It's super handy. You should register a varient of your Jaggi armour with it.

Also be aware that every tranquiliser bomb and shot deals 50 points of tranquiliser status (less if you have "status attack down"), but every 5 or so seconds the monster will heal away some of the tranq status (this is why people generally throw tranqs last). So if you're fighting the great jaggi, get him to limp, get him into a trap, throw a tranq and THEN get knocked flying by a Jaggia; by the time you get up and hit him with that second bomb, he will probably have healed away some of the first bomb (Maybe making his total tranq status around 95), so you'll need a third tranq.
    Geckolimus wrote: »
    Also the shock trap is better for capturing than the pitfall one though you can capture with both.

Neither is technically better for capture. They each have distinct pros and cons depending on the situation, but I would say that Shock Trap IS better on Great Jaggi/Wroggi/Peco because they're so small that when they fall in a Pit trap you need to stand 20 feet away in order to not throw the tranq bombs clean over their heads.

Is there any way to predict where they're going to limp to? I keep laying the trap after they limp away, then they limp away again after it's set....

I'm trying to capture the Azuros from the HR2 Bear Trap mission, and it turns out I'm just too efficient a killing machine. I let him run, I chase him, I beat him a little more, then spring the trap and bomb the crap out of him, he escapes... I run off and get the other trap, try the same.... he escapes... foolishly didn't bring any traps of my own and so rage-spam Tranq Bomb hoping he'll come down swinging like the Incredible Hulk... but no...

Interestingly, he chose a really bad place to hole up after his first bashing, heading to the Jaggi spawning grounds. By the time I got there, the little leathery barstewards were wailing on him. When I arrived and the pair of us went at us, the Jaggi all held back, like kids in a playground watching two bigger kids fight. Love it :)

Incidentally, while preparing for the mission, I was harvesting herbs and blue mushrooms when who should turn up and tap me on the shoulder but my old friend Great Jaggi and his friend Dave, the Great Jaggi. Oh, and their mates Jaggi, Jaggi and Jaggia. 24 hours ago I would have Shatnered my pants and ran. But that was then, and this was now (except now it's then. But you get what I mean) So I killed them both for interrupting me - you have to be firm with them or they'll never be house-trained.

Once again, epic game :)

Edit : P.S. Shadowhearth - I love the way your phone fixes your foul mouth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have MH3U on my shelf to start after I finish Luigis Mansion. The more I read this thread, the more I can't flippin' WAIT to get stuck in. :)

Fire Emblem on Friday too. What a great time to own a 3DS.

Lucky buggers!

give me a nice price cut and I will buy the damn wii U just for MH3 multiplayer. Yes, I will buy a console not just for one game, but for one feature!!!

Lucky buggers!

give me a nice price cut and I will buy the damn wii U just for MH3 multiplayer. Yes, I will buy a console not just for one game, but for one feature!!!

The premium bundle is £250 on Amazon, how much cheaper are you hoping it'll get?

BTW, factor in the cost of a wii LAN adapter for 3ds online, packet forwarder insists on a cabled connection to your router

• Advertisement

The premium bundle is £250 on Amazon, how much cheaper are you hoping it'll get?

BTW, factor in the cost of a wii LAN adapter for 3ds online, packet forwarder insists on a cabled connection to your router

In UK they sold zombie U premium bundle with controller for 199£. So there is room to go down!

I sow this only now! I got the biggest boner ever!!! I wonder when it will come out to europe :(. maybe in 2015 if lucky?

Cheers for advice on capturing lads. Cough jaggi from first try. Then tried on eastern bunny and trapped him from first try.
    So I moved to the next progression quest. The only thing I can say: **** who ever though it was good idea to put capture quest in 5 star of a monster that you barely killed. What an asshole move. Even bigger asshole move to have only one shock trap! Twice failed so far. Last time I just nerd raged. It limbed away so I was happy out. On last potion too. So got in to zone, dropped trap threw tranqualiser and boom! ****ing nothing! He just jumped off and ripped me a second asshole... Abandoned, quest as no point to carry on.

So I guess no more mh3 tonight anymore. Work tomorrow. Started so well a d ended so annoying!

Can't wait to get back and have a go again! Mh3 is like evil girlfriend. Gives you a kick in the jewels and you still come back crawling :D.

Anyway, any good set for that fight? I am still using Jaggi, but his electrical attacks can down my very fast. Sometimes he just chain bum loves me resulting in me wasting 3-4 pots in one rush.

I will definitely try to get that tracking skill skill this time.

P.s I only learned yesterday how properly use long sword... The whole chain combo level up stuff thing... I know, I am a bit slow lol

Is it my blog now or mh3 thread lads?! Where the hell everyone is gone?

Anyway, I trapped the wee nasty thing like a mouse! First try today! Then did next quest. Killed something huge! Was fun though, helicopter thing was funny too!

Looks like I got opened a lot of new monsters for myself. Will have to go get full rathian set for myself first!

By the way lads. How does it work with weapon upgrades? Each weapon has unique upgrade path? Worth crafting other long swords and check their upgrade paths?

Is it my blog now or mh3 thread lads?! Where the hell everyone is gone?

Anyway, I trapped the wee nasty thing like a mouse! First try today! Then did next quest. Killed something huge! Was fun though, helicopter thing was funny too!

Looks like I got opened a lot of new monsters for myself. Will have to go get full rathian set for myself first!

By the way lads. How does it work with weapon upgrades? Each weapon has unique upgrade path? Worth crafting other long swords and check their upgrade paths?

Been busy upgrading to a full HR Jaggi set... Got it last night. Upgraded as far as possible, complete with decorations for 'Attack Up (L)'...and one to negate to 'Item Use Down'... 'Stun' is now fully negated too.

Slightly mixing the weapons up too - Having fun with a powerful Great Sword. Killing the HR Great Jaggi in less than 5 mins!...

Working through the other 6* Village Quests...

Re: Weapon paths / Upgrades - I normally save the game...look at the options...reset...and make a decision of the way forward. More variations to suit monster weaknesses, more power, more fun!

I normally set myself a main goal of the day - Gathering for combining, monster farming for weapon and amour upgrades, undone quests etc.

The monster hunting continues.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im keeping watch on this - think I'll be joining ye getting a wii u if theres a bundle offer shadow..! :p

I thought there were two paths - Iron and Bone - and that weapons along each path would have interim upgrade levels that can't be directly forged as well as being able to be upgraded into a directly forgeable blade.
    I don't have any names to hand but say you have Blade A. It can be upgraded to Blade A+, which is the only way to get an A+, or Blade B, which you could also make by gathering sufficient resources. Blade A+ might then have multiple paths it can be upgraded to for different properties (elemental damage, sharpness, damage etc), some of which you can jump on to by forging the blade directly, others which you can't without starting further down the tree and upgrading.

But that's based on reading websites, I'm only HR 2 :)

(Edit : Not for long though - Get in the bag, G-Jaggi! Next up, Boom-Shakalaka )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Here's what I use when deciding what weapons I want: http://imgur.com/a/XPaVU#0

• Advertisement

If it's a way to check weapon part requirements and whatnot you're interested in, I cannot recommend this highly enough: https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/en_us

Of course, everything is in that so if you're avoiding spoilers it may not be for you.

Advertisement