Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Your Dream Holiday In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Tra fúcking lee

i was in tralee for a week last august/september. we ate out every day and went to the pub 4 nights out of the week. i backed horses and she went shopping and we did a lot of tourist things. we didnt spend a grand between us

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

Valencia Island , Waterville and Caherdaniel all beautiful places in south Kerry. Staying in one of these parknasilla hotel or Carrig house a hidden gem in Carragh lake not far fron Killarney and Killorglin and of course a bit of sun would round it off.
    The things I don't like is 8 or 9 euro for a glass of vino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Kilkee co clare with the young fella,beautiful especialy if you get the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A cold, dark and cloudy winters day. Wind and driving rain with the fire blazing, with not a tv, radio or internet in sight. Absolute perfection.

I had 2 holidays in the west like that. Its actually miserable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My last proper holiday was a week in Youghal with my family when I was 11, it was feckin deadly. I really want to go back .

We got gorgeous weather and had an apartment overlooking the sea. Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

=admiralofthefleet;83699816 i backed horses

It's the place for that.

phasers wrote: »
    My last proper holiday was a week in Youghal with my family when I was 11, it was feckin deadly. I really want to go back .

We go to the lighthouse in the summer, my mam and dad get it for two weeks and I drop down for a night or two. Beautiful.

I go often to Rosslare, stunning part of the world, Kilmore Quay for the best fish and chips I've ever eaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When I was younger and lived at home we had Tramore only a few miles out the road, we were out there nearly every day of the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

West Cork, with a trip out to Cape Clear.
    A group of us went to Cape Clear for a weekend years ago. The sun came out just as we were arriving into Cape Clear, simply stunning, one of the most beautiful sights in the world. Great place to holiday.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Even tho l am from & live here, it has to be Kerry! :D back West...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Bundoran in Donegal. I try get there once a year at least, could (and have) sit on those cliffs for hours on end looking out to sea

http://www.bundoransurfco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Bundoran_Tullan_Strand.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

getting the fuuck outta it for a few weeks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

girl2 wrote: »
    Visited Killarney for a few days and drove round the Ring of Kerry…breathtaking scenery, totally totally fantastic.

As bad as the weather gets…I was so so lucky to do this in 24degree heat with the sun beating down on me…everyone was in shorts and vests, I felt like I was away in some foreign land. I remember stopping at this little beach bar that served food, the wee beach part was totally filled with people and I sat there in the blazing sun outside eating salad and watching everyone having such a super time. The same place had dolphins visit the area, so everyone was on the lookout.

Can totally say this was one of the best days of my life…thank you Kerry!

And thank you for a marvellously evocative post. You reminded me of when my parents took us on a holiday around Ireland many years ago. Kerry was amazing; maybe one day I'll return and do it all again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

For me Coastal areas are the nicest places to holiday near while in Ireland or anywhere there is good sight seeing and landmarks!

Killarney other places in Kerry, Westport and Clonakility nicest places i've ever visited in Ireland. Galway and Dublin best cities to visit other than the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

For city breaks, my 2 favourite would be Limerick and Cork, theres georgian areas or Limerick that rival anything Dublin has, yet has tons more older buildings , still has part of the city wall, dramatic castle, misericords in st.marys (the only surviving ones in Ireland) and so close to all the castles and great houses in the county, which has more castles than any other county.

Cork for scenery and pubs, the city of steps and steeples. The veiws from the Elizabethan fort across the city are amazing,then pop into the pub next door which has served the dukes of marlborough and wellington, the oldest in the city, and the beamish....yum yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

For us the problem is weather. It's just too unpredictable. And then when it rains it's cold too.
    Poor cycling facilities and traffic still hasn't yet become aware enough of families out on bikes. Although this is improving.

Before kids we holidayed in Achill and it was great. Then moving up the coast to Donegal and across to the giants causeway.

We do a weekend away in Ireland twice a year with the kids but when we do 75% of the time is in the hotel.

For us the campsites in France are a superior holiday for very little more money.

I think the city beaks I've been on in Ireland are great for couples and groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I'd like to spend my holidays in the dark and hairy caves of Caroline Morahan,Jean Byrne and Andrea Corr.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

went to dingle a few summers ago and we seemed to go during the 3 nicest days of summer, there's something really special about the town, there's so many beautiful quiet beaches, the history of the blasket islands was really good too.

rossbeigh in kerry is lovely too

on passing through lahinch on the way to galway I thought it seemed lovely, really need to go there properly

would also love to go somewhere really remote like achill or aran islands, or a remote part of donegal just to get away from it all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I have learned that you can take the negative weather aspects and turn them into positives, for example, last time we were in Ireland there was 2 days on the trot with,shall we say,inclement weather. It pi##ed rain out of the heavens and with a wind that would bowl you over.Instead of staying in and grumbling, we went through the Healy pass towards castletownbeare and dursey.

It was absolutely amazing, there were waterfalls cascading down the full heights of the mountains,truely amazing.

As for our coast, give me a dark angry sky with wind and rain over a calm and tranquil one any day,it really brings it to life.
    And the added pleasure of looking out at the swells from a cosy pub in brandon with a pint of stout and a glass of powers,pure bliss.

I can't wait to come back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's nice looking when sunny but every summer is just monsoon season now so you can't plan anything and most of the time when you're outside it's rainy and miserable and really hard to enjoy, for me anyway. I really don't like rain.
    So I would holiday there if I could, but I'm not willing to put up with the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dub Ste wrote: »
    I'd like to spend my holidays in the dark and hairy caves of Caroline Morahan,Jean Byrne and Andrea Corr.:D

I don't think they'd be into 12 year olds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

crockholm wrote: »
    I have learned that you can take the negative weather aspects and turn them into positives, for example, last time we were in Ireland there was 2 days on the trot with,shall we say,inclement weather. It pi##ed rain out of the heavens and with a wind that would bowl you over.Instead of staying in and grumbling, we went through the Healy pass towards castletownbeare and dursey.

It was absolutely amazing, there were waterfalls cascading down the full heights of the mountains,truely amazing.

As for our coast, give me a dark angry sky with wind and rain over a calm and tranquil one any day,it really brings it to life.
    And the added pleasure of looking out at the swells from a cosy pub in brandon with a pint of stout and a glass of powers,pure bliss.

I can't wait to come back.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Kettleson wrote: »
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Right. Why would you want to stand at a so called beauty spot in driving wind and rain when you can barely see 20 meters in front of you because of low clouds and poor visibility? Bad weather really affects tourist experiences in Ireland, regardless of what you're wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Ireland is a super little country.

When travelling abroad I'd be a big fan of visiting the big cities. I'm from Dublin and when you think of Ireland you dont think of the cities.

A real holiday here is in one of the smaller or more scenic rural spots. The real Ireland in a sense. As much as I love Dublin its always nice to visit one of these places. (Wexford in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Right. Why would you want to stand at a so called beauty spot in driving wind and rain when you can barely see 20 meters in front of you because of low clouds and poor visibility? Bad weather really affects tourist experiences in Ireland, regardless of what you're wearing.

i'd agree with that.

The flip side is that Ireland is a four seasons in one day sort of country.

If you are hear for a week, you will get one or two fine days, one or two manky days and a few dry over cast days on average.

For the two fine days, you have IMHO some of the best scenery in Europe. For the two manky days, you have the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Skyflyer1234

Lovely Summer with a Cottage to myself with the sea just around the corner lots beers and a fishin Rod...oh the dreams and peace i would have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My parents own a cruiser on the R.Shannon. Have done since I was very young. While we used to go abroad occasionally nothing beat a week on the Shannon! Since turning 18 the weekends have become more enjoyable also :P

We stick to Lough Derg so places like Terryglass, Garykennedy, Banager, Mount Shannon are on the radar, some great little pubs and friendly people. Yes you have days when the rain is beating down and you're stuck inside, but it's no different than being stuck in the house. When you do get the weather though there is nothing on this earth like it....absolute bliss. We've had family and friends from Germany, America and Australia down for a weekend and they have absolutely loved it. Great way to see how beautiful Ireland really is.

I also spent alot of time in enniscrone Co Sligo growing up. Beautiful beach and just an all round peaceful spot, great for kids!

Only place I haven't spent any time in is Kerry, wouldn't mind a weekend down there sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I holiday in Ireland a lot and while dingle and sligo are nice, the best holiday is a week cruising on the Shannon. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

syklops wrote: »
    Cruising on the shannon is my dream trip. Ive done it twice and hoping to go this year again. It doesnt matter if the weather is crap, and you get to see new places and experience new pubs every day.

Did that as a kid and the boat partially sank. Spent the holiday on a boat in a drydock. And I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Thought this would be the best thread to post this in......

I was having a look through groupon.co.uk today, checking out sun holidays. So, I clicked on the getaways tab and then filtered again to 'SUN'. Low and behold, Sligo is there in the Sun destinations right beside Majorca!! :pac:

http://getaways.groupon.co.uk/filter:15/Sun

:cool:<
    have my shades ready

Advertisement