Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

marcsignal wrote: »

I don’t know how it affects their insurance, but I’ve seen it happen. In fact, on the particular night I’m talking about, the bouncers wouldn’t allow the persons mates bring him down. They insisted the door staff deal with it. I assume they have a similar plan in the event of a fire or other emergency.

I don't doubt you that it has happened, however, their insurers would take a very dim view of such a practice.

I'm interested in this incident simply because I work in the area and know the buildings very well. I own a business nearby and we opened up the basement for retail space but there is no way that we can allow wheelchair users to go downstairs. We just apologise profusely for not being able to accomodate them. I really wish it were different but it was just physically impossible to design wheelchair access to the basement - as is the case in the vast majority of buildings in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I wouldn't have let him in wearing Converse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wouldn't have let him in wearing Converse.

You're not that loose with footware.

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sounds about right, well done on him being refused, if a big fire was in there and a wheelchair was a blocking the steep stairs then many would die, yet as there was no fire the club will be getting it in the neck
    Are you for real!
    A wheelchair blocking a stairs! How about an obnoxious drunk person blocking the stairway which would be more the reality! To be fair, the wheelchair person would be leaving by a different exit. Why?Cos they couldnt get in the same entrance as you..In most places..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Some of he comments on the nightclubs bookface page are seriously OTT.I can see why corrie and eastenders are so popular in this country

Some folks just love a reason to be outraged

It will be interesting whether or not the guy publicly accepts the apology or is he wallowing in the attension he was craving

P.s does anybody know if he got the sympathy shag after said event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Has anyone visited the Madison Facebook page?

Some of the stuff on it is completely off the wall. People from China, Canada, Poland, USA calling them scum ect ect.

None have probably ever been in Ireland let alone in the night club.

I have sympathy with the man , it can't be easy to go out on a night out under his circumstances but he's handled this like a complete bell end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This only happened last night and yet clearly the first course of action was to go to the masses rather than going to through the proper channels, which your friend blatantly ignored. If your friend had a reasonable case, he could have got a succesful result contacting the management privately and if that didn't work out, then he should of considered other options. It will be interesting to find out if the bouncer files for unfair dismissal. How many steps does Madison have?

Refusal because of wheelchair does not equate to outright discrimination if there are reasonable and credible health safety concerns involved.

If there's a fire let's say and your friend's only way out is to be carried up a long flight of stairs, what does he do then? Hope and pray.

jluv wrote: »
    Are you for real!
    A wheelchair blocking a stairs! How about an obnoxious drunk person blocking the stairway which would be more the reality! To be fair, the wheelchair person would be leaving by a different exit. Why?Cos they couldnt get in the same entrance as you..In most places..

AFAIK they don't allow obnoxious drunk people into the club either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't get it. Should they have carried him down the stairs knowing that he would be a casualty in the case of fire?

Its a bit like if someone in a wheelchair applies for a job as a window cleaner. Its not discrimination, just common sense.

Now what they could look into is making the venue wheelchair accessible but most nightclubs aren't.

ya know. Ah has actually been pretty balanced. Very little name calling. And next to no insults. People are discussing pros and cons.

It's all grown up. Awwww...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Officer999

They know their position alright. They have been backed into a corner by baseless claims on facebook.

It has generated 20,000 likes in 4 hours. By morning at that rate it will have 80,000 likes. Thats a lot of bad publicity.

I have seen a similar complaint on the facebook page of the company where I work but a different department. I knew the full story and the one which was posted to the page couldn't have been much different. On investigation into the post it got 40 likes, every like was a friend of the person who posted it.

That hows this mob frenzy mentality gets started.

If you ask me it's good publicity. I had never heard of this nightclub before now.

And 20,000 likes in 4 hours.....even if its for negative reason's that a lot of people clicking on their facebook page that wouldn't have before.

In a couple of weeks this thing will have blown over, yet everyone will know of Madison nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

Anyone else a little disappointed with how quick Madison backed down? I was expecting more of a fight from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Grayson wrote: »
    ya know. Ah has actually been pretty balanced. Very little name calling. And next to no insults. People are discussing pros and cons.

It's all grown up. Awwww...

Your mum.

marcsignal wrote: »
    A friend of mine of many years 'Graham Bolger' was refused entry to the Madison Nightclub on Wicklow Street, Dublin, last night, because he is a wheelchair user :mad:

90190695.jpg
    Last night I was refused entry to Madison nightclub in Dublin on the grouds that I was in a wheelchair...and that was just the start of my 45 min ordeal of extreme discrimination at the hands of their staff.

In my 8 years adventuring in a chair i have never been refused entry to any venue anywhere in the world from boats to cliff top castles, festivals to beach clubs, car rallys to deep sea dives. well done Madison. Youve just stepped in the ring with one very determined person.

madisone.jpg

What century are they living in ? Shame on them :(

What exactly happened during the 45 minute ordeal mentioned in the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Fm 104 just chatting about it now.
    Apparently the guy who refused him has been sacked.

Anyone else a little disappointed with how quick Madison backed down? I was expecting more of a fight from them.

Yes, the 'ol "sacked the intern/contract/temp" line is pathetic, would have preferred to see an explanation of some sort.

Mob wants blood though..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

What exactly happened during the 45 minute ordeal mentioned in the OP?

I think of many, many ways to spend 45 mins with the one in the red dress...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What would be the purpose of posting it on the internet including a photo if not to attract attention though? The text with the image is worded provocatively.

The club were wrong, but creating a big internet stink causing someone to lose their job was worse.

I don't like the whole thing as much as anyone but in fairness I've never thrown anything up on FB with thoughts of it going any further than my friends. I don't find it hard to imagine him being surprised the way it has taken off. It's not a case of him asking for likes and shares.

mackg wrote: »
    I don't like the whole thing as much as anyone but in fairness I've never thrown anything up on FB with thoughts of it going any further than my friends. I don't find it hard to imagine him being surprised the way it has taken off. It's not a case of him asking for likes and shares.

Well, that depends. we know very little about him. He could work in publicity or entertainment etc..

Or he could be a quiet guy working behind a desk somewhere.

It all depends on what sort of guy he is. But I find it hard to believe when his friends are posting it up on irelands largest discussion board that they didn't want as much publicity as they could garner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

Grayson wrote: »
    Well, that depends. we know very little about him. He could work in publicity or entertainment etc..

Or he could be a quiet guy working behind a desk somewhere.

It all depends on what sort of guy he is. But I find it hard to believe when his friends are posting it up on irelands largest discussion board that they didn't want as much publicity as they could garner.

Did a quick search, this is him:

• Advertisement

Seeing as the bouncer hasn't had a chance to defend himself, he is the only one I feel sorry for.

He's lost more than anyone else in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

They could have had a very valid reason to deny him entry but don't expect them to try to argue that point with the mob mentality driving this campaign.

The smart move is not to stoke the fire, regardless of who is in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The girl in the photo is Christina Urban, a Polish model.

You're welcome :D

Seeing as the bouncer hasn't had a chance to defend himself, he is the only one I feel sorry for.

He's lost more than anyone else in this.

Think he is just pointed to your man , and said: the guy in the chair getting in here is just a non-runner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Madison is brand new isn't it?
    You might want to go there now if you like the look of it, other nughtclubs have closed down over far less controversial PR disasters...

fullgas wrote: »
    Did a quick search, this is him:
    Quazzie wrote: »
    The girl in the photo is Christina Urban, a Polish model.

You're welcome :D

Here he is in Café En Seine with Christina

http://www.showbiz.ie/photos/2013-02-graham-bolger--christina-urban.jpg

Is this his way of pulling beauts :o

So he knew what he was doing and wanted to create a fuss.

Lads, on crappy phone here and can't click the links. Was this a setup?

• Advertisement

Lads, on crappy phone here and can't click the links. Was this a setup?

No he has a hot friend/gf? and was understandably pissed off when he couldn't get into the club with her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement