Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spud varities

Options
  • 10-03-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Can anyone narrow the potato varities down to about four or five with taste and best positives suitable for the irish climate to the fore....

Which ones for earlies and lates...... mostly mashpotato eaten in this house.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Desiree is a lovely maincrop. Looks a lot like Rooster, but anyone who I gave some to raved about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have a fondness for Kerrs Pinks but the blight loves them too.
    A lot of people are very critical of Roosters but I think they are a good hardy spud that crops well.
    A good crop of Records are hard to beat too. I've noticed with records a type with a rough skin on them (as opposed to the smoother type). I think these are a great spud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Should i have them bought in now for planting by the end of the month and what is your preping techniqe for the seed potatoes.......i'm new to this.

tanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Should i have them bought in now for planting by the end of the month and what is your preping techniqe for the seed potatoes.......i'm new to this.

tanx.

Buy as soon as, they may be very scarce this year, i keep seed from 2 varietys & buy 1 different bag every year.

I planted last year queens early, & rooster & Kerr pinks. Had records last year, really great flavour.

I am not a great fan of new varietys.
    Tried chitting them 1 year, made feck all difference, am waiting for ground to warm up to plant

How many are you thinking of sowing?

A

tanx.
    You certainly need to be thinking about getting your hands on earlies if you're goin to sow some. It's a matter of watching ground conditions then, and getting ready for the end of the month. If you're Midland boggy sheltered ground you might want to hold off sowing to avoid a frost wiping you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

home guard is an excellent early and has done well for me in the past.
    This year i am trying red duke of york and rocket.

I do not use any sprays but pull up the plant stems when any sign of blight appears and leave the potatoes in the ground untill needed.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I do not use any sprays but pull up the plant stems when any sign of blight appears and leave the potatoes in the ground untill needed.

What do you do wiyh the stalks then?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Sharps express
    British queens
    Records
    Golden wonders

The first 3 are easy grow but the Golden wonder are hungery feckers and ideally need new ground especially if your not using potatoe fertaliser

One of the mods here grows sapro miros (spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I see the famous Lumper is being promoted again as a "rare breed". Is anyone going to give them a go?? - I might grow a small plot this year out of sheer curiosity!!

I wouldn't bother with the Lumper, read that they're ****e really.

Nothing planted here, weather was too cold, then lambing came along. Earlies didn't even sprout in the shed, wondering did the cold kill them inside?

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    What do you do wiyh the stalks then?
    special compost bin for them and their ilk. bin filling it for years, and will not use compost in the end.

I wouldn't bother with the Lumper, read that they're ****e really.

Nothing planted here, weather was too cold, then lambing came along. Earlies didn't even sprout in the shed, wondering did the cold kill them inside?

did they have enough light?

Oldtree wrote: »
    did they have enough light?

They're about 18 inches under a clear panel in the shed roof, it's pretty much the brightest part of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Does Maris piper produce a decent crop in the West of Ireland??

Advertisement