Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone ever miss being a child?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm generally content at being all grown up.

Until the Late Late Toy Show comes around again, and I get ridiculously jealous at the kids that get to review the new toys. Little bastids

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm generally content at being all grown up.

Until the Late Late Toy Show comes around again, and I get ridiculously jealous at the kids that get to review the new toys. Little bastids

I am actually the opposite...I wanted to be on it when I was younger but watching it now I am glad I didn't fall into the population of pretentious little sh*ts they choose from.

With the day that's in it I should probably thank my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not at all. As a child I really wanted to be an Adult. and being a grown up rocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

OP your mothers on the phone - she says its time to come home for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I miss the lack of responsibility but that's about it. Things are much more fun as an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I miss aspects of it. I mostly enjoyed primary school, with the exception of one teacher, seeing friends every day, playing games, doing a bit of easy work, playing out on the road after school. But I don't miss having to put up with the toxic atmosphere of my family life. And I hated secondary school and being a teenager, so overall no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Yeah I do miss being a child from about 8-12 years of age. Then being a teenager can be a rotten enough time and I think it's even harder for this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You can get away with much more random, reasonless behaviour when you're a kid.

Climb a wall and walk across the top of it.
    Climb into a hedge and stay there for 10 minutes lighting matches.
    Put up a tent in the back garden and sleep there.
    Run down the road as fast as I can for no particular reason.
    Shout random things in public.

A lot of this stuff you wouldn't be bothered doing anyway. But I think life is a bit less spontaneous when you have to run everything through a predictable-behaviour-for-an-adult filter. Especially when the parameters for that filter are so arbitrary. It's like the averaged-out behaviour of every other boring arsehole, and you have to stay within -/+ a certain amount. Well you don't have to, but I feel brow-beaten into it.

Take this video for example... this looks fun as shit, and something I would have no problem doing as a kid, but as an adult I'd worry about what people would think. It's weird though, on a cognitive level I don't give a shit what they'd think, but yet I'd still be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

In the nostalgic sense yes
    ie. Having nothing to do, or
    Having no responsibility,
    Easy(ish) homework (Bloody long division and factors:mad:),
    Free copybooks from Tesco or Quinnsworth as it was known then,
    Games in the schoolyard and
    Out on the street:cool:,
    The summer holidays and
    The weather during (94,95,96, I thought were real good:D, 97, 98 and 00 were washouts if i remember right:(),
    Dinners cooked for you everyday,
    Better cartoons on the tv, (Animaniacs and Dexter's Laboratory were class!).
    We went everywhere on our bikes. I miss those days!

No because of,
    Having nothing to do,
    The craic with your mates was pretty tame,
    Some teachers I had in primary school were downright evil:mad:
    I knew less people when I was a child,
    No mobile phones,
    Having to go through being a teenager again, I think if I had to do it, I would kill somebody:pac: although there was some serious craic had in secondary school.

In retrospect, I liked being a kid but at the time, I guess I just wanted to be older

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You can get away with much more random, reasonless behaviour when you're a kid.

Filling a football full of rocks, leaving it on one side of the road while you and your friends sit on the other and ask passers by to kick it over to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Take this video for example... this looks fun as shit, and something I would have no problem doing as a kid, but as an adult I'd worry about what people would think. It's weird though, on a cognitive level I don't give a shit what they'd think, but yet I'd still be embarrassed.

My mate used to do this except with roller blades:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Sometimes being a responsible grown up is a pain in the arse! Not that I'm particularly responsible or grown up :P, but, even so, you do have to attain some level of sense once you have bills to pay.

I loved being a kid. But, as a mid-twenties chick with no dependents, making good enough money, having a large degree of freedom, being fairly comfortable in who I am, etc., is pretty flipping brilliant.

And, if I felt like walking along the top of a wall or racing down the street, or breaking into a spontaneous dance, I have no problem doing that either (as long as there's somebody else with me - would be a bit weird even by my standards to start hopping around on my own)!

I'm living the best of both worlds I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

I miss just knocking in to your mates , no phones, no txting . You would just get up, go out and only come home for your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I can guarantee you there's a lot of folk who just took the almightiest stretch and miss, being a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My parents were controlling, horrible cúnts, so no, not at all. I rather the shítty can barely afford to get by, paying bills and the like life to being stuck around those two again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    My parents were controlling, horrible cúnts, so no, not at all. I rather the shítty can barely afford to get by, paying bills and the like life to being stuck around those two again!

I'm sorry to hear that missy =/ If it was as awful as you say, I'm glad you're free of it (: x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Abi wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that missy =/ If it was as awful as you say, I'm glad you're free of it (: x

I refuse to believe I had it the worst, there is always someone who has it worse! So I am grateful to just be out on my own now. Thought me how to be resourceful and do things for myself though, so it helped make me the person I am now, for that I am grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I refuse to believe I had it the worst, there is always someone who has it worse! So I am grateful to just be out on my own now. Thought me how to be resourceful and do things for myself though, so it helped make me the person I am now, for that I am grateful.

I left home quite young, and being thrown in the deep end has a way of showing you whether you can sink or swim. It takes strength and resilience.

You should be proud of yourself hon, you're swimming ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    No worries,care free and life is just about having fun.

What makes you assume my childhood was like that!! It was quite the opposite, so no thanks. Glad to be an adult...though I wish I was stop aging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I stumbled on this song called 'Golden' on youtube last week and this song is now stuck in my head (It's by Mika, ya know the 'Love Today' guy with the high pitched voice) and it made me really nostalgic about my teen years that I thought I'd never miss....

I also totally forgot about tapes.... and the inconvenience of changing to 'Side B':p

Advertisement