Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax (MOD REMINDER: Don't get too personal)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That must be why bin charges and water charges were introduced so smoothly!

Bin charges didn't exactly go to plan to begin with.

There was an attempt at introducing water charges here before.
    Remind me how that went again?

Do you think these may have been opposed for any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Do you think these may have been opposed for any particular reason?

People don't want to pay for services they can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Replace it with domestic rates.

I don't think anyone would object to actually paying for services they can see.

It'd be easier to swallow a service charge, when you didn't have to fork out for services after you've paid a charge to a council.

I'd be all for an option like they have in the north. Free health care, schooling, refuse collections, etc etc.

Rates in the north don't pay for free health care or schooling. They do pay for bin collection, mind. So, assuming your gaff is worth £200,000, that'll be £1500 (1780 euro) per year. Sound good?

btw - my mates in Belfast were staying down in Wexford last week - they loved the bin collection arrangement there - wheelie bins were collected from their yard weekly - emptied and placed back where they were taken from. They only get fortnightly collection in Belfast, and have to ensure the bin is out on the pavement, or it doesn't get collected at all.

alastair wrote: »
    Rates in the north doesn't pay for free health care or schooling. It does pay for bin collection, mind. So, assuming your gaff is worth £200,000, that'll be £1500 (1780 euro) per year. Sound good?

You're wrong about that.

Your rates bill:

Your rates bill is made up of two parts:

District rate
    The district rate is fixed annually by individual councils and is used to pay for services such as bin collections, recycling and waste disposal, leisure services, street cleaning and parks.

Regional rate
    The regional rate is set by central government and is used to pay for services such as roads, education and health.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/council/rates/whatarerates.aspx

• Advertisement

People don't want to pay for services they can see?

I posted about a vat increase that was supposed to pay for things like these earlier in the thread.

You're wrong about that.

Fair enough - the council services / district portion of rates doesn't include those - so that'll be 900 euro annually (twice what we're paying) for including that bin collection on a modest property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Rates in the north don't pay for free health care or schooling. They do pay for bin collection, mind. So, assuming your gaff is worth £200,000, that'll be £1500 (1780 euro) per year. Sound good?

btw - my mates in Belfast were staying down in Wexford last week - they loved the bin collection arrangement there - wheelie bins were collected from their yard weekly - emptied and placed back where they were taken from. They only get fortnightly collection in Belfast, and have to ensure the bin is out on the pavement, or it doesn't get collected at all.

I was in Newry last week in Tesco, I loved the prices of beer and food

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Slick50 wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I meant. It wasn't that difficult really. So what? so that's how we ensure a stable tax base, we finance ourselves by taxing welfare recipients.
    As opposed to financing ourselves by not taxing welfare recipients? Is there anyone or anything else you'd like to not tax in order to broaden our tax base?
    Anybody reading this thread, would have to be forgiven if they got the impression that it was the only option.
    It happens to be the only option currently on offer, and also happens to be the topic of the thread.

But you always have other options. You can vote for whomever you want in the next election, including the party that will hike up income tax on minimum wage earners, or increase VAT, or tax the rich until their eyeballs bleed, or whatever other options are compatible with your personal morality.
    Just because someone can see other options, does not mean they have to subscribe to another particular point of view.
    If someone doesn't subscribe to your point of view, they're not living in reality?
    If someone's point of view is that our tax base is sufficiently broad as it currently stands, then yes: I reserve the right to express the opinion that their view is not grounded in reality.
    You can blow that condescending twaddle out your jacksie
    I guess that's easier than actually demonstrating how our tax base is sufficiently broad.

Fair enough - the council services / district portion of rates doesn't include those - so that'll be 900 euro annually (twice what we're paying) for including that bin collection on a modest property.

School books.
    G.P visits
    Prescriptions, capped at (iirc) £3
    Abolition of tolled roads.
    Motor tax at much, much cheaper rates.

Why have you chosen to zone in on only one aspect of the rates system up there?

• Advertisement

OK, suppose you are the Shiny New Party's finance spokesman in the run up to the next election: how would you propose to replace the LPT?

A 0.5% rise in corporation tax would more than cover it,

hju6 wrote: »

As I keep pointing out: Irish people love taxes that other people have to pay.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As I keep pointing out: Irish people love taxes that other people have to pay.

Yes and it's very boring and incorrect,

The Corporations are here in our country and we have a right to tax them accordingly, I thought this was the Republic of Ireland, not a tax haven for a privileged few,

That's exactly how Oxigen/AES/Ballymore bins/Thornton operate around my area.

That bin service in Wexford is most definitely not the norm Alistair.

Besides, who wants random strangers plodding through their private property at all hours of the morning:confused:

School books.
    G.P visits
    Prescriptions, capped at (iirc) £3
    Abolition of tolled roads.
    Motor tax at much, much cheaper rates.

Why have you chosen to zone in on only one aspect of the rates system up there?

I've restricted myself to council services only. Like for like. We are not looking at spending LPT on anything but local authority services. NI didn't have tolled roads, so hard to see where they've been abolished - there's lots of tolled roads across the UK though.

I was in Newry last week in Tesco, I loved the prices of beer and food

Speaking as someone who regularly shops in Belfast, the prices aren't much different to here. They were, for sure, but not so much these days.

That's exactly how Oxigen/AES/Ballymore bins/Thornton operate around my area.

That bin service in Wexford is most definitely not the norm Alistair.

Besides, who wants random strangers plodding through their private property at all hours of the morning:confused:

Just passing on the delight of a couple of Belfast Rates payers in terms of bin collection services. Well done Wexford bin men!

Speaking as someone who regularly shops in Belfast, the prices aren't much different to here. They were, for sure, but not so much these days.

I'd agree with you here.

I make regular, fortnightly visits to visit family/work. To be completely honest, I've found some items to be cheaper here now.

(In the name of fairness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Your maths are more than a little off.

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2013/Documents/Budget%202013%20-%20Economic%20and%20Fiscal%20Outlook.pdf

The expected full-year collection of corporation tax is € 4.1 bn. The LPT is expected to bring in €250m this year and €500 m in a full year, approximately 1/8th of the corporation tax receipts. As the corporation tax rate is 12.5%, this would mean an increase of 1.5% in the corporation tax rate would be required to replace the LPT.

However, this does not take into account the law of unintended consequences. While a 0.5% increase might make little difference, a 1.5% increase in the corporation tax would certainly affect location decisions.

Say 5% of companies decide that they don't like the 1.5% increase and pull out of Ireland. That would mean a fall in corporation tax receipts of about 5%, equivalent to 0.7% on the corporation tax rate negating half of the expected increase.

That is before you take into account the falls in income tax, VAT, excise duty etc that would arise in the event of the increase.

At the end of the day, it is quite possible that an increase of 1.5% in the corporation tax rate could lead to an overall decline in tax revenue. Back to the drawing-board on your alternatives.

A 0.5% rise in corporation tax would more than cover it

Now, consider that everyone (including all the "defenders" of LPT on this thread) expect the LPT to go up in the next few years.

Do you think announcing a rise in Corporation Tax this year with an expectation of more rises to come might have some consequences for the wider economy?

Do you recall an enormous fuss about whether the US or EU would pressure us into raising our corporation tax rate, and what might happen if we did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Godge wrote: »
    We have been through several self-induced government finance crises in the last 30 years so you could say we have survived all right.
    So have most of the economies in the developed world, including the ones that have rates/LPT.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:There's enough circular debate on this thread so we can leave this one out.
    Can we leave this one out too?
    OK, suppose you are the Shiny New Party's finance spokesman in the run up to the next election: how would you propose to replace the LPT?
    As opposed to financing ourselves by not taxing welfare recipients?
    It's akin to playing the slot machines to increase your income.
    Is there anyone or anything else you'd like to not tax in order to broaden our tax base?
    This is a welfare reduction for a select few, who happen to be the ones who have probably contributed more to government finances than those who are not liable. If the government want to do that, they could show some of that courage they are always talking about, and do an across the board welfare reduction.
    It happens to be the only option currently on offer, and also happens to be the topic of the thread.
    So why contradict someone when they point out that it is not the only option?
    But you always have other options. You can vote for whomever you want in the next election, including the party that will hike up income tax on minimum wage earners, or increase VAT, or tax the rich until their eyeballs bleed, or whatever other options are compatible with your personal morality.
    Thanks very much:rolleyes:. Very condescending of you, you know what you can do with that.
    If someone's point of view is that our tax base is sufficiently broad as it currently stands, then yes: I reserve the right to express the opinion that their view is not grounded in reality.
    What you said earlier is...
    sure: if you subscribe to the rather bizarre view expressed earlier in the thread that our taxation system is completely fit for purpose as it stands,
    you were implying that, that is my point of view, which it isn't.
    I guess that's easier than actually demonstrating how our tax base is sufficiently broad.
    It was an apropriate response to your post.

It's akin to playing the slot machines to increase your income.
    How is it akin to that?
    This is a welfare reduction for a select few, who happen to be the ones who have probably contributed more to government finances than those who are not liable.
    As is so often the case, I'm lost in a maze of pronouns. What is a welfare reduction? Who are the select few?
    If the government want to do that, they could show some of that courage they are always talking about, and do an across the board welfare reduction.
    I personally think that needs to be done, but if it were, it would be met with the same howls of indignation that have greeted the introduction of this tax.
    So why contradict someone when they point out that it is not the only option?
    I didn't.
    Thanks very much:rolleyes:. Very condescending of you, you know what you can do with that.
    Yes, that seems to be becoming your standard retort when you can't refute something.
    What you said earlier is...
    sure: if you subscribe to the rather bizarre view expressed earlier in the thread that our taxation system is completely fit for purpose as it stands,
    you were implying that, that is my point of view, which it isn't.
    You either agree with bgrizzley that our tax base is sufficiently broad and doesn't need broadening; or you don't. Which is it?
    It was an apropriate response to your post.
    Uh huh.

Your maths are more than a little off.

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2013/Documents/Budget%202013%20-%20Economic%20and%20Fiscal%20Outlook.pdf

The expected full-year collection of corporation tax is € 4.1 bn. The LPT is expected to bring in €250m this year and €500 m in a full year, approximately 1/8th of the corporation tax receipts. As the corporation tax rate is 12.5%, this would mean an increase of 1.5% in the corporation tax rate would be required to replace the LPT.

However, this does not take into account the law of unintended consequences. While a 0.5% increase might make little difference, a 1.5% increase in the corporation tax would certainly affect location decisions.

Say 5% of companies decide that they don't like the 1.5% increase and pull out of Ireland. That would mean a fall in corporation tax receipts of about 5%, equivalent to 0.7% on the corporation tax rate negating half of the expected increase.

That is before you take into account the falls in income tax, VAT, excise duty etc that would arise in the event of the increase.

At the end of the day, it is quite possible that an increase of 1.5% in the corporation tax rate could lead to an overall decline in tax revenue. Back to the drawing-board on your alternatives.

My maths?
    The so called mathmetistians that forecast (guess) the country's future each year are always way off.

Green shoots, corners turned, soft landings etc

How is it akin to that? As is so often the case, I'm lost in a maze of pronouns. What is a welfare reduction? Who are the select few?
    If you try reading the post, and interpret it in context with what is being discussed, it will help, like you did earlier. But you seem to be preoccupied with looking for flaws with a post, rather than it's actual meaning.
    I personally think that needs to be done, but if it were, it would be met with the same howls of indignation that have greeted the introduction of this tax.
    So you don't share the point of view that it has been broadly accepted? *(rhetorical)
    Yes, that seems to be becoming your standard retort when you can't refute something.
    There was nothing to refute....
    Your post was purely condescending.
    You either agree with bgrizzley that our tax base is sufficiently broad and doesn't need broadening; or you don't. Which is it?
    You are ignoring the fact that you changed the statement from the one I responded to. (I already reposted your origional statement). Also, I do not have to share bgrizzley's point of view, to be able to object to this particular tax.

If you try reading the post, and interpret it in context with what is being discussed, it will help, like you did earlier. But you seem to be preoccupied with looking for flaws with a post, rather than it's actual meaning.
    I'm only prepared to put so much effort into deciphering your posts. If you're interested in actually discussing the topic, it would help if you were clearer about what you're trying to say.
    So you don't share the point of view that it has been broadly accepted? *(rhetorical)
    Accepted? Yes. Welcomed? Not so much. Like I keep saying, Irish people don't like paying tax.
    You are ignoring the fact that you changed the statement from the one I responded to. (I already reposted your origional statement). Also, I do not have to share bgrizzley's point of view, to be able to object to this particular tax.
    You didn't answer the question.

My maths?
    The so called mathmetistians that forecast (guess) the country's future each year are always way off.

Green shoots, corners turned, soft landings etc

Yes, your maths. When asked how you would replace the LPT, you came up with this gem.

When I demonstrate to you that this would be completely inadequate to cover up the shortfall and that the percentage rise required to replace the LPT would be such as to open up the risk of an overall decrease in tax revenue, you resort to the last refuge of the bewildered: shift the goalposts and blame someone else for something else.

Your solution is completely unrealistic so back to the drawing board.

Howls of misplaced moral indignation from a loud minority trying to bully the government into withdrawing the tax are not incompatible with the vast majority of the population accepting the tax and paying up.

Actually, that sounds like exactly what happened.

I'm only prepared to put so much effort into deciphering your posts. If you're interested in actually discussing the topic, it would help if you were clearer about what you're trying to say.
    Fair enough, considering you had problems with the likes of...
    Where is the money supposed to come from, if people are unemployed.?
    Accepted? Yes. Welcomed? Not so much. Like I keep saying, Irish people don't like paying tax.
    I think you're confusing acceptance, with resignation.
    You didn't answer the question.
    Which question are you asking then? That the tax system was fit for purpose? Obviously not. That the tax base is broad enough? Yes.

the vast majority of the population accepting the tax and paying up.

Indeed, the exchequer figures for the first half of the year were rosier than expected because of the number of people who coughed up before the July 1 deadline:

The State’s overall tax revenues for the first half of this year amounted to just under €17.6bn; an improvement of €585m or 3.4% on the first six months of 2012.

Furthermore, the total was 1%, or €166m, ahead of expectations, helped by the receipt of €126m from the local property tax.

• Advertisement

Howls of misplaced moral indignation from a loud minority trying to bully the government into withdrawing the tax are not incompatible with the vast majority of the population accepting the tax and paying up.
    This point of view was countered many times, ages ago.
    Actually, that sounds like exactly what happened.
    You sound suprised, as if this thought just dawned on you.

Advertisement