Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving bank of Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Thankyou for not informing me about the changes to the criteria for no fees banking on my account .

Being working class unfortunately I am not an avid reader of the Irish independent or the Irish times where you chose to disclose this information .

Sending me a bill for €52 came as some SUPRISE !

Anyway
    Can anyone recommend a bank that actually values their customers money ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Thankyou for not informing me about the changes to the criteria for no fees banking on my account .

Being working class unfortunately I am not an avid reader of the Irish independent or the Irish times where you chose to disclose this information .

Anyway

PTSb or ulster bank. Ulster is free at the moment but can't see that lasting too long.
    The other option is to use a credit card for all transactions, but only if you have the discipline to pay it off each month.

On their disclosure of information re fees, it has been fairly well flagged, both in national newspapers, on most radio stations with a news feature and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Thanks for that
    I work 12h shifts and have no acess to radio so it came as a bit of a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks for that
    I work 12h shifts and have no acess to radio so it came as a bit of a shock
    Its also on many threads here. Judging by your posts youve fairly regular access  ;)

listermint wrote: »
    Its also on many threads here. Judging by your posts youve fairly regular access  ;)
    Well if you investigate a little deeper you will find I haven't been on-line very much lately while caring for an ill family member

Your patronizing comment to me Doesn't show you in a very good light .

Btw she got the all clear last Friday
    So as most people could imagine banking fees wasn't on top of my agenda .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

listermint wrote: »
    Its also on many threads here. Judging by your posts youve fairly regular access

So do you think it’s necessary now for users of any product to go searching on line to see if the manufacture or bank or whatever the product they have has an online presence to see if there is any important news that would affect them as regards the product they have by same?

Whats wrong with sending them a letter out or at least when you log into 365 online banking have it there, there well able to put pop ups from time to time selling services or products but they werent able to inform there customers about change of fees this way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I think we all know it was done to get money off people who didnt know.
    When BOI want to advertise mobile banking or to warn people to be carefull online, it pops up when you log on.
    However I dont think they expected such a reaction from their customer base.
    I have switched all three accounts elsewhere as have my family ( >10 accounts)
    Id say they regret it now.
    As for the posters above who mention radio notices, threads on here etc, a charge like this should be a direct communication, no excuses.

harolds57 wrote: »

So do you think it’s necessary now for users of any product to go searching on line to see if the manufacture or bank or whatever the product they have has an online presence to see if there is any important news that would affect them as regards the product they have by same?

Whats wrong with sending them a letter out or at least when you log into 365 online banking have it there, there well able to put pop ups from time to time selling services or products but they werent able to inform there customers about change of fees this way.

That's a very good point
    I haven't been online much but I have been on the 365 mobile app regular which is excellent btw
    And no mention of new fees there .
    First indication I got was a letter charging me €52 for the last 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

PTSB has free banking from 1st April.  Some t and c's apply.

vicwatson wrote: »
    PTSB has free banking from 1st April.  Some t and c's apply.

Thanks for that
    Yes they seem to be the only bank that is looking for people's buisness

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Anyway
    This is my problem as well. I am on a limited income and they never told me that all of a sudden I would be paying an amount  I asked how much they said go add it up yourself and just keep your account topped up... Are you kidding me?!
    2 years ago (ish) they used to send out a letter to say you would be paying so and so 2 weeks in advance. At least then you had an idea. Now... oh yeah go take a flying leap. I am going to PTSB. I would try Ulster but nearest is a 1 1/2 drive haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

HI Thraxen

You should have received a fee notification statement two weeks before the account transaction fees are charged to your Current account if the total is more than e12.70.

If you haven’t received this notification, you should contact your branch to advise them. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I am attaching an information link on Fees which you may find useful.

http://www.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/doh000631-fees-and-charges-web-version-feb-2013.pdf

Thanks for posting.

Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Same here, Over 60 quid gone from my account without any notification. Ended up having to deal with the guards on the way to work after filling up at a petrol station and suddenly finding out when i went to pay that there wasnt money in my account for laser card.

Seriously pissed off at boi and moving my account asap

I did get notified 2 weeks before they took the money
    But it was for the previous 3 months
    So I was using my account for 2 and a half months un aware that I was clocking up fees .

Advertising this change of policy in the Irish times and some other high brow broadsheet was no addition to me

Hi Skatedude,

If your fees were over €12.70 you should have received a notification. Please call your branch directly to making sure you get notified in future.

Apologies about the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sorry, but there is no "future" this was the last straw. boi already lost 500 quid of my money when i was manually paying of my loan, but said they couldnt do anything as i didnt have the deposit slips and didnt tell me about the missed payments for months.

enough is enough. safer keeping your money under the mattress then dealing with boi anymore

Skatedude wrote: »
    Sorry, but there is no "future" this was the last straw. boi already lost 500 quid of my money when i was manually paying of my loan, but said they couldnt do anything as i didnt have the deposit slips and didnt tell me about the missed payments for months.

enough is enough. safer keeping your money under the mattress then dealing with boi anymore

Yes the mattress is looking a safer bet alright .

Notice how my complete post was ignored by them .

Yes the mattress is looking a safer bet alright .

Notice how my complete post was ignored by them .

Just wait "we appologise please contact your branch"

Seriously guys PTSB seems the best way but honestly I don't keep money in banks anymore. Not when all they do is shrug their shoulders and say "our apologies". Yeah when I apologise they don't care so why should them saying it matter to me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Ptsb are doing no fees if 1500 euro goes into your account in a month and it doesnt have to be in 1 lump sum. I have moved mine there instead of BOI.

It seems they are doing this deal from April

At 1500 that's a great deal
    Boi want u to have 3000 in your account at all times afaik

It seems they are doing this deal from April

At 1500 that's a great deal
    Boi want u to have 3000 in your account at all times afaik
    Ah no guys you dont need a 1500 balance!! You just need to have 1500 go in each month. I was told that you can even do it so if someone says sends you the 1500€ or even use 3 x 500 then it is all good. They actually said I could withdraw my money, put it back in, withdraw and so on till I got the 1500 in transactions lol!
    I recorded the call the guy says if you have a overdraft which is say €-20 in your account. As long as 1500 goes in each month then you will still get free banking! An all the fees are free, card, atm, online, standing orders and so on. All free. The did have a one before which was free (well they do until april 2nd) but you needed to do say 18 card transactions, 1 online payment blah blah blah. Now you just need 1500 going in and they are happy. Tis brilliant!
    Guy from PTSB said that one lady had a €120 transaction fees from BOI.
    Yeah now say for instance in PTSB you did not have 1500 going in. Don't worry. They will only ever charge a max of €12 each quater. It is ridiculous that BOI thinks they have "competitive rates".

• Advertisement

Thraxen wrote: »
    Ah no guys you dont need a 1500 balance!! You just need to have 1500 go in each month. I was told that you can even do it so if someone says sends you the 1500€ or even use 3 x 500 then it is all good. They actually said I could withdraw my money, put it back in, withdraw and so on till I got the 1500 in transactions lol!
    I recorded the call the guy says if you have a overdraft which is say €-20 in your account. As long as 1500 goes in each month then you will still get free banking! An all the fees are free, card, atm, online, standing orders and so on. All free. The did have a one before which was free (well they do until april 2nd) but you needed to do say 18 card transactions, 1 online payment blah blah blah. Now you just need 1500 going in and they are happy. Tis brilliant!
    Guy from PTSB said that one lady had a €120 transaction fees from BOI.
    Yeah now say for instance in PTSB you did not have 1500 going in. Don't worry. They will only ever charge a max of €12 each quater. It is ridiculous that BOI thinks they have "competitive rates".

Ill get onto them on Tuesday
    What's their online site like ?
    Tbh boi 365 is really good and the iPhone app is bang on
    And do they do the visa debit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I find that PTSB app and online banking to be really good. It does the exact same as BOI and they also do the visa debit card too.

stevekavo wrote: »
    I find that PTSB app and online banking to be really good. It does the exact same as BOI and they also do the visa debit card too.

That's brilliant I use the iPhone app for almost everything

I wonder where boi Linda is right now ?
    Proably off for the long weekend till Tuesday no less .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

Yep, 80 euro fees here. I'm disgusted. Ill be moving aswell.

I got stung for €52
    Sure I was buying small things on eBay not knowing their was a 28c charge with each transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

I'm impressed with PTSB so far, they know how to deal with customers. We switched our 3 current accounts from BOI in January and they told me yesterday that I can update to the new account rules after Tuesday by just signing a document. Happy days.
    BOI staff, you can learn from this if you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

mckildare wrote: »
    I'm impressed with PTSB so far, they know how to deal with customers. We switched our 3 current accounts from BOI in January and they told me yesterday that I can update to the new account rules after Tuesday by just signing a document. Happy days.
    BOI staff, you can learn from this if you want to!

I was stung for €67 fees by BOI earlier this month.  In the process of switching my current account, savings account and credit card to PTSB.  It's been pretty seamless so far.

All BOI had to do to retain my business was send a separate letter back in November informing me of the fees, not try to hide it on the back of my statements.

DerryRed wrote: »
    I was stung for €67 fees by BOI earlier this month.  In the process of switching my current account, savings account and credit card to PTSB.  It's been pretty seamless so far.

All BOI had to do to retain my business was send a separate letter back in November informing me of the fees, not try to hide it on the back of my statements.

Same here
    From November I had absolutely no idea I no longer had free banking .

Hi everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post and provide us with their opinions and feedback.

While we are unable to reverse group decisions, we do appreciate everyone taking the time to post. Any feedback we receive is passed on and can be used for when future decisions are being made.

Thank you again
    Linda

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post and provide us with their opinions and feedback.

While we are unable to reverse group decisions, we do appreciate everyone taking the time to post. Any feedback we receive is passed on and can be used for when future decisions are being made.

Thank you again
    Linda

Hope you enjoyed your long weekend Linda .

Answer me this one question ?
    Is it common practice to start a charging restructure without informing the client ?

Advertisement