Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another shooting.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't agree with decriminalisation, I don't see the point of it really. It's fine for the end user but does nothing to tackle the problem.

Ireland like the rest of the world has always had a drug culture, drugs are and have always been a big part of human culture. I think religion is the direct result of people taking drugs.

i was in agreement upto that point, but as much as i have little time for organised religion i cannot quite see the connection?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

space_man wrote: »
    i was in agreement upto that point, but as much as i have little time for organised religion i cannot quite see the connection?:confused:
    Traditionally up until the churches came along drugs were always seen as the path to god. Most religious leaders were heavy drug users and were seen as being able to go over to this other dimension were the gods lived.

Many, many societies had a drug binge as the ritual a boy had to go through to become a man. Fairy rings so popular in Ireland are actually markers for magic mushroom locations.

Any one that's ever taken an hallucinogen would be able to understand how people would see it as travelling to another dimension or talking to the gods. Your head is filled with new thoughts and beliefs and it allows you to see the underlying geometric patterns that makes up everything in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Traditionally up until the churches came along drugs were always seen as the path to god. Most religious leaders were heavy drug users and were seen as being able to go over to this other dimension were the gods lived.

Many, many societies had a drug binge as the ritual a boy had to go through to become a man. Fairy rings so popular in Ireland are actually markers for magic mushroom locations.

Any one that's ever taken an hallucinogen would be able to understand how people would see it as travelling to another dimension or talking to the gods. Your head is filled with new thoughts and beliefs and it allows you to see the underlying geometric patterns that makes up everything in nature.

I think its unfair to use some obscure ritual from a tribal group who only use the drug during their rituals.

Dont get me started on religion and its leaders, the biggest hyopcrites in human history - "do as i say, not as i do".

Drugs or taking them is not a simple subject, you have people hooked on perscription drugs as well as illegal drugs. Anything that alters someones perception can only be a bad thing, and yes that includes alcohol, but alcohol is so deep rooted in the "civilised" world that i can never see it being made illegal (and i do enage in a bit of drinking myself).

I tolerate people smoking weed because it usually doesnt end in tears, even though ive seen the use of it having a detrimental effect on someones life if used to excess. The way i see it, there is enough things in the world that cause problems that are legal without exacerbating the problems caused by the likes of alcohol.

Drugs are bad mmkay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Deleted my post,maybe too soon to post what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

yes it could be a nice little earner for the exchequer. there would be strict quality control, so users would know exactly what they're getting.

problem is no other country (that i know of) has ever tried this, so it would be a giant social experiment with possibly unforseen consequences.

Czech Republic decriminalised all drugs in 1990, then criminalised again in 2001 then decriminalised again in 2011. They found criminalising had no impact on addiction rates.

• Advertisement

i've never read such codswallop in all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seachmall wrote: »
    Canada provided addicts with heroin and allowed them to inject in a supervised environment. This reduced the number of needles in the street, reduced crime and reduced the number of ODs and had no negative effects.

And if they gave shoplifters free tvs and cameras there would be very low rates of shoplifting too. Sure legalise everythng and there will be a zero crime rate. How can we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

i've never read such codswallop in all my life.
    Interesting informative rebuttal.

Said no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Has the term "Tax Eurons" been used yet?

i think we're a bit off topic here.
    the young man in question may never walk again, as one of the bullets hit his spine.
    poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't understand why they don't just pass a law against shooting people. And, if they aren't going to do that, pass a law against gun ownership!

If we just had laws, we could prevent these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

1ZRed wrote: »
    Here we go again...

You can roll your eyes, but all the anti- crowd have going for them is some kind of perverted sense that they have the "moral high ground". All the emmpirical evidence suggests that it is the way forward.

You can roll your eyes, but all the anti- crowd have going for them is some kind of perverted sense that they have the "moral high ground". All the emmpirical evidence suggests that it is the way forward.
    What is the way forward? And for whom?

Legalisation or decriminalisation.

As stated already, you just have to look at Portugal for a case study on decriminalisation.

It benefits everyone. Less people end up using, and once you legalise something, it's obviously removed from the realm of the black market. Resources in law enforcement can be re allocated to more important matters, the war on drugs is a massive waste of time, manpower, money, everything.

It's time people just fuccking dealt with the fact that people want to get high, and stop pretending otherwise.

Legalisation or decriminalisation.

As stated already, you just have to look at Portugal for a case study on decriminalisation.
    I had read through the thread, but forgot about the drug angle that came up earlier. When I read your post, it looked like it was a suggestion on guns as I had forgotten. The drug legalization? That's a whole other thing, and honestly, I guess now that I'm replying I'll say both I think that's a good approach, for the most part, though it would require systemic changes beyond a law change. Also, this thread didn't really need to be talking about such things. I know, I'm not really helping there.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I had read through the thread, but forgot about the drug angle that came up earlier. When I read your post, it looked like it was a suggestion on guns as I had forgotten. The drug legalization? That's a whole other thing, and honestly, I guess now that I'm replying I'll say both I think that's a good approach, for the most part, though it would require systemic changes beyond a law change. Also, this thread didn't really need to be talking about such things. I know, I'm not really helping there.

Absolutely.

I guess the drug angle is coming from the angle that this may have been a gange shooting, and most gangs are dealing drugs. That's all really.

I still don't think it's impossible to follow a similar route to Portugal though. It can't be any worse than the current standard.

Honestly, I was preparing for a "we should get everyone owning guns like the States. See? We're having people get shot now, so lets get everyone guns." There are likely people here who hold such an opinion.

I still don't think it's impossible to follow a similar route to Portugal though. It can't be any worse than the current standard.

you might be right.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324374004578217682305605070.html

That's exactly what I'm talking about

That's exactly what I'm talking about

u agree withthose crazy hippies in the WSJ !!!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement