Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

world book day

Options
  • 07-03-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

The 1st thursday of March is world book day in Ireland.

So ladies, what are you reading?
    What is your fav book?
    What book changed your life?

Atm I am reading Warren Ellis' Gun Machine and the Casters Chronicles.
    My fav book is Against a Dark Background by Ian M Banks
    and a book which changed how I looked at the world was Never Jam Today by by Carole Bolton which is the Sufferage movement in the USA as told about a young woman who gets involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

If I had to pick one book I would say Great Expectations.

I also love One Hundred Years of Solitude.

For both those books I felt a real loss when they were over.

I often go through little obsessions. Had one with detective fiction when I was a child.

Now going through an espionage phase. Loving Operation Mincemeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I love books and always have.. one of my first memories of reading is reading the ladybird books of fairy tails such as Cinderella and snow white.. my favourite of the books was the elves and the shoe maker, they had gorgeous illustrations. Books have often been my saviour when thing were not great in my life the pleasure of loosing yourself in a book is wonderful.

At the moment I am reading Gone girl by Gillian Flynn and excellent book I am also reading an introduction to critical theory.

Books that have influenced me the most are one on subjects like cultural studies and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My favourite book is The Passage by Justin Cronin

Right now I am reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and A Clash of Kings from the Game of Thrones series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Right now Im reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Love her stuff, and Im a relative newcomer to it.

Favourite book? Hard to say! Classically, I adored A Little Princess, and re- read it a few years back as my kid sister had it!
    I read 'Oranges are not the Only Fruit' by Jeanette Winterson last year and it blew me away completly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am reading the second half of the 3rd book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm engrossed! Makes me look forward to getting the bus ever day :p

Not sure about favourites but the books I have reread the most are the hobbit and wuthering heights. Love them both.

I think the only book that ever really changed my life was investment and portfolio management, 3rd edition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Jeanette Winterson last year and it blew me away completly.

I would recommend you read the book which goes with that one, Why be happy when you could be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I didn't know it was World Book Day. But every day's a book day for me :)

I've just finished Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami, which I am unsure about. I think maybe there were too many subtle philosophical themes which were too clever for me...

I'm on to Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, which I'm really looking forward to, because HP was a big part of my life!

My favourite book is hard to say...I loved The Ancestor's Tale, by Dawkins because I am fascinated by adaptations and evolutionary biology and I think it's a beautiful telling.

The book that changed my life? I remember when I was about 11 in school the teacher asked who thought they were a good reader and I stuck up my hand straight away (:rolleyes:). I was in the front row so I don't know if anyone else did :D but she handed me Carrie's War by Nina Bawden and I think it was the first book with adult themes that I had read.

I don't think any book changed my life really, but it's moments like that I remember the significance of. Years later my college supervisor gave me Jacques Monod's Chance and Necessity as a gift when I was going off to do my Masters and that's always been important to me too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think my favourite book is defined as the one I most enjoyed as a teenager which was Famine by Liam O'Flaherty.

I love books, I read voraciously, and regularly give away 200 plus books every three for four months, they are my escape, my me time, my indulgence, and I cannot imagine a life without books.

I'm not well versed in the classics, but the non fiction I read along with the fiction makes me think and consider.

Currently reading:

Dare to die by Gareth O'Callaghan
    Dropping the Habit by Mario Dante
    and Strategic planning for IS as part of my Masters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey at the moment so, I'll get my coat :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Happy Belated World Book Day :)

I read poetry collections most evenings for relaxation, so I have a few books in the stacks......

The Selected Poetry of Edna St. Vincent Millay is tonights selection.
    A neighbour gave me Night of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy that I am looking forward to reading.

When I was younger, I read Bring Me a Unicorn, the Diaries and Letters of Anne Spencer Morrow.
    It was empowering to read the thoughts and feelings of another shy girl who learned to love, live a public life, and :) fly (in the 1920's).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Reading the Runelords series
    Favourites include Dune, Atlas Shrugged, Peter Hamilton's books, Possession by Byatt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Stheno wrote: »
    I love books, I read voraciously, and regularly give away 200 plus books every three for four months
    Lol what? Gimme gimme gimme! Please, sugar on top! Willing to collect! No seriously do you give away that many books? Any chance you have a list handy or do you give them to charity?

Edit: Oh right almost forgot! I love The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho. Great book that you can just pick up anytime, awesome read. Nice and short :)

At the moment though: Gaijin - James Clavelle. Will take getting into but if you love diving into mad world in another century filled with the crazy and dramatic on all levels of society, I'd suggest this. Based on the discovery of Japan recently and various nations trying to setup trade negotiations, all while the civil war or war of independence is going on in America. Might sound politic, but is actually full of juicy stuff and quite a lot of action. Gets quite violent though. Picked it up for 1 dollar in 2009, bargain.

Advertisement