Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house to live in mobile home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I don't think your idea is a good one. You would be swopping short term gain for long-term pain. Mobile homes are not suitable places for elderly folks with mobility issues. Where, in your retirement, would you find the money to trade up from a cold and poorly insulated mobile home to a cosy house with the option of a downstairs bedroom should one be required?

You are still 15 years or more away from normal retirement age. With your kids grown up, this should normally allow one greater financial resources to start making prudent plans for a financially comfortable old age when serious health issues may arise.

+1

This was what I was thinking as I read the OP's post.

Imagine being 75, needing a walking frame to get around, and needing to climb out of a mobile home every time you need to go to the loo. Or if the mobile home has a sewerage system in it, imagine the mechanics of emptying the tank if you're unstead on your feet.

OP, it sounds liek you need to trade down on the house front.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bigtomw

Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but just wondering for what do people who are living on their own sites who maybe waiting for a house build do with their sewerage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

bigtomw wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but just wondering for what do people who are living on their own sites who maybe waiting for a house build do with their sewerage

Just guessing here but get the septic tank installed first?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

bigtomw wrote: »

Now I want to know how the OP got on and did they go for the mobile home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Got me thinking about how I'd avoid the property tax came up with this:

331953.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a lot harder for someone to steal ones house, than it is to steal a mobile home. It being mobile and all. Also, check if there are any travellers with your surname, in case someone mistakes you for a long lost cousin, and decides to park next to you. It's not like you can just ring the cops; they have a history of not being able to do much to trespassing travellers.

The long lease thing; there'll probably be something to stop you staying the full year, otherwise travellers may take residence, and they won't make an exception for you, as discriminating against travellers is one of the big no-no's of Irish discrimination law.

Whilst on the topic of travellers, people will probably assume you are one, and you may find yourself ostracised from the community you wish to live in.

Advertisement