Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you bother with a dedicated GPS unit?

• 06-03-2013 11:54pm

Howdy folks,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but quick question for ye new and old: Do you bother using a dedicated GPS unit in your car (assuming your car/vehicle doesn't already have one built-in)?

Was in Halfords the other day and seen some units. Think they were all over €100 (or in that area, anyway). Meteor sell a Samsung Galaxy Mini for €50 posted (which has GPS capability).

I understand having a phone as a GPS unit can be troublesome if you get a phone call/text etc. whilst using the GPS/Maps app, but am I the only one who sees the sense in just buying an extra phone to use, along with whatever necessary car charger is needed and a suction mount?

Or am I missing something obvious? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It depends really, not sure what on exactly but at home I often use a dedicate gps system, i find it easier to read, slightly more accurate, gives a speed read out and always has signal.

I sometimes use my iPhone too with the waze app, its fantastic but works much better stateside. Over there I used it to navigate 3 major road trips including route 66 and more. The thing I prefer about that is real time traffic, social media aspect where you can report accidents, speed cameras etc and you get am advanced warning, the petrol prices which are regularly updated. The downside is all those features work best where there are a lot of users so not as good in Ireland and it also relies on having signal which doesn't always happen, especially in Ireland.

As I said it depends on the situation I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I have a suction holder for the window and just use my Iphone as a sat nav. A Proper sat nav I'm sure would be better but for the bit I use it the iPhone does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I agree with the phone idea. I went alittle further. Here is what I did with an old samsung galaxy and an electronic box of tricks. This also allowed me to add a reverse cam.
    Set destination and return phone to arm rest. Works fantastically. Also means I get youtube etc in car.
    2m2ezpk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Yes imo a dedicated system is much better. Also I have one of them samsung galaxy mini's and it's as slow as a wet week and has a poor battery. The gps isnt that good on it either.

mickdw wrote: »
    I agree with the phone idea. I went alittle further. Here is what I did with an old samsung galaxy and an electronic box of tricks. This also allowed me to add a reverse cam.
    Set destination and return phone to arm rest. Works fantastically. Also means I get youtube etc in car.

Looks good, but probably something a little too advanced for the likes of me :o:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

a dedicated GPS unit is more reliable than a phone for when you don't have phone coverage toupdate the mmaps add you travel, also better for foreign travel so you don't end up with massive data roaming charges.

and you can create your own poi lists, as well as adding poi s of speed cameras abroad.

Garmin ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

mickdw wrote: »
    2m2ezpk.png

Tell me more about this box of tricks and this setup. I have a pair of Galaxy S2's bought specifically for the job but haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet.

BTW I only ever use my Iphone and the Tomtom app. Ive found it to be a lot more up to date than any of the usual devices you find around and if you get a decent car charger it will charge it as you navigate too, Something that the cheaper chargers have a problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I sold my Tomtom as soon as I got a smart phone with gps, haven't regretted it a day since.
    Connects to stereo with bluetooth.
    Yes calls (again via bluetooth) will interrupt it but as soon as it's over it jumps back to gps again.

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

Please tell us Mick, I am looking to buy one of those audis so I am intrested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I have two dedicated units, TomTom and a Garmin Nuvi and haven't used either since I got my Galaxy Nexus phone 18 months ago. I find it much quicker, more accurate and all round better using Google maps compared to the dedicated GPS. I find, in particular it is waaaay better finding rural locations compared to the dedicated.

Plus you can have Map view or satellite imagery which can come in dead handy. I can manage PoIs on the fly or pre select them from my laptop. I doubt I'd ever go back to a dedicated unit. Battery life is the big problem but I have an in car charger so it's all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

KKV wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but quick question for ye new and old: Do you bother using a dedicated GPS unit in your car (assuming your car/vehicle doesn't already have one built-in)?

Was in Halfords the other day and seen some units. Think they were all over €100 (or in that area, anyway). Meteor sell a Samsung Galaxy Mini for €50 posted (which has GPS capability).

I understand having a phone as a GPS unit can be troublesome if you get a phone call/text etc. whilst using the GPS/Maps app, but am I the only one who sees the sense in just buying an extra phone to use, along with whatever necessary car charger is needed and a suction mount?

The galaxy minis screen is a bit small and could be a danger trying to drive and look at it..a proper GPS is the only way to go unless you onlr want something for a rough idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Been using a phone as a sat nav since 2008 - Nokia N97 and Garmin mobile xt were my first combo,got me all around europe and never missed a beat,worked a treat with a bluetooth headunit,.

Today i use Iphone and Tom tom.

I don't go for suction mounts or anything i hate things stuck to my dash or window. The phone sits nicely into the cup holder,the Iphone also sits nicely against the instrument cluster between the Speedo and rev gauge the only thing it blocks is the computer display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

tossy wrote: »
    Been using a phone as a sat nav since 2008 - Nokia N97 and Garmin mobile xt were my first combo,got me all around europe and never missed a beat,worked a treat with a bluetooth headunit,.

Today i use Iphone and Tom tom.

I don't go for suction mounts or anything i hate things stuck to my dash or window. The phone sits nicely into the cup holder,the Iphone also sits nicely against the instrument cluster between the Speedo and rev gauge the only thing it blocks is the computer display.

+1
    I just ordered a Brodit proclip for mine off Amazon.de
    Saw it in a mates car and its pretty good compared to the sucker on the windows job (hate those, especially when it flies off while driving!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a dedicated Garmin for car use, another for running, another for cycling and another for going up and down mountains. There are also a few retired running models over the years now gathering dust. Getting the right tool for each job is much better than faffing about trying to get the wrong device to do the task.

What I don't have are any shares in Garmin which is a bit of an oversight seeing how much of their kit I have bought.

robinph wrote: »
    I have a dedicated Garmin for car use, another for running, another for cycling and another for going up and down mountains. There are also a few retired running models over the years now gathering dust. Getting the right tool for each job is much better than faffing about trying to get the wrong device to do the task.

What I don't have are any shares in Garmin which is a bit of an oversight seeing how much of their kit I have bought.

Surely a good phone with sat nav built in would do all those jobs more than competently? I'm sure you bring your phone with you while running and going up and down mountains anyway? A separate sat nav for different pursuits sounds crazy - Garmin must love you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Uriel. wrote: »
    I have two dedicated units, TomTom and a Garmin Nuvi and haven't used either since I got my Galaxy Nexus phone 18 months ago. I find it much quicker, more accurate and all round better using Google maps compared to the dedicated GPS. I find, in particular it is waaaay better finding rural locations compared to the dedicated.

Plus you can have Map view or satellite imagery which can come in dead handy. I can manage PoIs on the fly or pre select them from my laptop. I doubt I'd ever go back to a dedicated unit. Battery life is the big problem but I have an in car charger so it's all good
    +1 Google navigation is completely free, maps can be downloaded for offline use.
    Also when you arrive at your destination it goes into street view to show you the destination, very handy when it's dark.
    Can't understand anyone paying for a dedicated device when navigation is free unless you are using it everyday or travel to different countries regularly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surely a good phone with sat nav built in would do all those jobs more than competently? I'm sure you bring your phone with you while running and going up and down mountains anyway? A separate sat nav for different pursuits sounds crazy - Garmin must love you :D

For the car possibly, but unless you have the maps downloaded in advance it's no use for travelling outside of your home country or outside of mobile coverage.
    For running a phone is far too bulky to carry most of the time and especially so in a race, doesn't have heart rate monitor, the battery might not last the distance, won't be waterproof and you can't easily hit the start/ stop button for timing yourself.
    For the bike, again a phone doesn't have HRM facility, not waterproof, no cadence sensor, battery won't last the day with gps and screen on, touch screen probably won't work with gloves on, maps will be unlikely to have bike routes.
    For wandering up a mountain, again...battery life, waterproof etc plus ruggedness for when you drop it on a rock, no mobile signal, no barometer.

Yes the phone can get you by in all these situations in an emergency, but to do the job properly you need the right tool. Phones are useful, but they are for doing lots of different things OK'ish, not for doing any job really well.

For the car possibly, but unless you have the maps downloaded in advance it's no use for travelling outside of your home country or outside of mobile coverage.
    For running a phone is far too bulky to carry most of the time and especially so in a race, doesn't have heart rate monitor, the battery might not last the distance, won't be waterproof and you can't easily hit the start/ stop button for timing yourself.
    For the bike, again a phone doesn't have HRM facility, not waterproof, no cadence sensor, battery won't last the day with gps and screen on, touch screen probably won't work with gloves on, maps will be unlikely to have bike routes.
    For wandering up a mountain, again...battery life, waterproof etc plus ruggedness for when you drop it on a rock, no mobile signal, no barometer.

Yes the phone can get you by in all these situations in an emergency, but to do the job properly you need the right tool. Phones are useful, but they are for doing lots of different things OK'ish, not for doing any job really well.

Fair enough,good points.

As regards the car ,i've never used a phone/GPS combo that requires mobile signal to work.Load the maps onto the phone all the time.An entire map of Europe is only going to be a few gigs in size.

Fair enough,good points.

As regards the car ,i've never used a phone/GPS combo that requires mobile signal to work.Load the maps onto the phone all the time.An entire map of Europe is only going to be a few gigs in size.

I have Europe wide FM traffic fro my in car Garmin which is another reason for dedicated device as you don't require data for that. I would download local OpenStreetMap in advance to the phone though, but that would be used for finding stuff whilst walking about rather than whilst driving.

I have Europe wide FM traffic fro my in car Garmin which is another reason for dedicated device as you don't require data for that. I would download local OpenStreetMap in advance to the phone though, but that would be used for finding stuff whilst walking about rather than whilst driving.

That's another plus of having Sat nav on a phone.While walking about foreign cities you can leave the phone in your pocket with one ear bud in,it saves you walking around with a big please rob me sign over your head with a big map open and a clueless expression :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Been using Google maps navigation for a couple of years and it does me fine. I dont need GPS that often, nor have I had the need to use it abroad yet, but when I have used it it has brought me to the door of where Im going every time. Cant go wrong for a free system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Generally speaking the battery of a phone, even when plugged in isnt enough to retain maps for long travel distances.

They just arent built to have a fully illuminated screen over 3 Hours time. Thats why dedicated GPS systems come into play.

The phones when plugged in cant keep up with the power loss of the screen, processor and GPS signals pulling down its juice.

Fine for short journeys thats about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Howdy folks,

I generally just read sign posts, saves me buying a gps (that dont really work that well in a country with no post codes) , seriously it works. :D

listermint wrote: »
    Generally speaking the battery of a phone, even when plugged in isnt enough to retain maps for long travel distances.

They just arent built to have a fully illuminated screen over 3 Hours time. Thats why dedicated GPS systems come into play.

The phones when plugged in cant keep up with the power loss of the screen, processor and GPS signals pulling down its juice.

I cant say Ive experienced this tbh. The Galaxy S3 would have a screen that would be about as battery intensive as they come, and Ive never had any issue with using the GPS for long periods of time while the phone is plugged into a car charger. Even on battery you should be able to get several hours out of the GPS, assuming you allow the screen to dim (which should not be an issue on a journey with stretches of motorway).

dbrunson wrote: »
    I generally just read sign posts, saves me buying a gps (that dont really work that well in a country with no post codes) , seriously it works. :D

Works fine, until you are driving around the countryside where there are no signposts, or no guarantee that the ones that are there are correct...!

GPS has nothing to do with postcodes; Ive used it to get to some pretty remote parts of this country and it has never failed me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Please tell us Mick, I am looking to buy one of those audis so I am intrested!
    Look up xcarlink.co.uk. They do units for most cars. You need a full colour screen though and alot of cars dont have that. All this device does is give you av inputs into the factory system. Its plug and play and is controlled via factory steering wheel controls. It also comes with auto switch reverse cam feed.
    Its pretty old tech so the phones are going away from offering the tv out format that suits but I believe iphone still does it. Im using a galaxy s but ive an s3 too and id much prefer to use that for this but it would need a convertor to work.
    My ideal setup is the s3 sending wirelessly to the screen and also having a near field com tag in the car programmed to set the phone instandly onto required setting and straight into nav.
    Dont think I will get round to that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Definitely a dedicated GPS unit for me for the reasons mentioned above, not having navigation disrupted if you get a phone call etc and also, when on the phone to a customer if you have a problem finding their address, it's great to have the maps in front of you.

I guess the question is, given phones have come on so much and are probably the most advanced technology with a screen that size, would a phone be a better dedicated GPS than the likes of a Garmin? My Nuvi 760's are still going strong although a bit slow with zooming out, re-routing etc, they don't let me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't have a smartphone. There's a TomTom in the car, but I haven't turned it on since 2010.

djimi wrote: »
    I cant say Ive experienced this tbh. The Galaxy S3 would have a screen that would be about as battery intensive as they come, and Ive never had any issue with using the GPS for long periods of time while the phone is plugged into a car charger. Even on battery you should be able to get several hours out of the GPS, assuming you allow the screen to dim (which should not be an issue on a journey with stretches of motorway).

Not a hope of getting several hours out of an S3 with the screen on and GPS maps running. Its just not going to happen.

Drive to belfast / Tralee from dublin on it and see how several hours its lasts on battery alone.

• Advertisement

I disagree there,i drove 3,300 miles around Europe years ago with a primitive nokia N97 and Garmin XT screen was always on,phone wasn't always plugged in and it never skipped a beat,this was also while playing MP3's all the time from the same phone along with the occasional phone call.In fact it out performed a stand alone Tom tom sat nav and a VW factory sat nav in the other cars,we were on the road for 5/6 hours non stop at times.

Furthest i've gone on the Iphone/Tom tom combo is Birmingham, under similar conditions i'e playing Mp3's answering and making calls it never missed a beat.

The era of the stand alone Sat nav is dead really.

Not a hope of getting several hours out of an S3 with the screen on and GPS maps running. Its just not going to happen.

Drive to belfast / Tralee from dublin on it and see how several hours its lasts on battery alone.

I drove from Naas to west Cork using the GPS without the phone being plugged in and I still had life in the phone when I got there. You probably wouldnt get more than 3-4 hours max on the battery, but with a car charger it should be no issue whatsoever.

I drove from Naas to west Cork using the GPS without the phone being plugged in and I still had life in the phone when I got there. You probably wouldnt get more than 3-4 hours max on the battery, but with a car charger it should be no issue whatsoever.

Anecdotal as it is, But im just not buying this. When you say battery life it had to be on dregs or just beeping plug me in. Its not possible to have the screen running for that length of time. Ive done the journey with 2 different phones and the wont last it to the end.

Anyway, i know have a dedicated Android headunit with all this built in so its not a problem.

Anecdotal as it is, But im just not buying this.

There are 2 'anecdotal' stories posted here now to prove otherwise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I tend to just turn the screen off. For example, when I get onto the motor way and the map is telling me that I have to take exit 34 and it is 92km away, I just flick the screen off. Navigation continues in the background but battery drain obviously completely reduced. Screen gets flicked back on when about to leave the motorway etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anecdotal as it is, But im just not buying this. When you say battery life it had to be on dregs or just beeping plug me in. Its not possible to have the screen running for that length of time. Ive done the journey with 2 different phones and the wont last it to the end.

Anyway, i know have a dedicated Android headunit with all this built in so its not a problem.

Listermint, get yourself a decent phone and or a car charger. There is no reason why you cannot keep the phone going using navigation.
    I can maintain a 100% charge on a 3 hour journey with GPS, mobile data, blue tooth enabled while also listening to podcasts.
    Replacement batteries can be picked up for 3euro.
    Battery should not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Have driven all over N Ireland and the Rep without a sat nav. Rarely get caught out, don't see the need for one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've my phone setup over A2DP so can listen to music, take calls and hear the GPS over the car's standard head unit. I've been using TomTom's Western Europe App for the iPhone for the last few weeks and it's miles better than my old Garmin Nuvi (which had the most recent maps on it). If someone calls during Navigation, you can just tap the top of the screen and it returns to the map. Only downside is when you quit out of the app but don't close it and find yourself in the toilet of a services with 'Please Make a U-Turn When Possible' blaring from your pockets.

I dont give a toss if you believe me or not! It was down to about 20% by the time I got there. Given that large stretches of the journey are motorway the screen was able to dim for large parts of the journey and use a lot less battery life. Perhaps if I was spending three hours driving around country back roads where Id need the screen all the time then it would be a different story, but then Id just plug the phone in.

I also dont know where you are getting this notion from that a plugged in phone is not going to keep up with GPS; unless you are using a rubbish cable or have no real power going to the phone then it should not be an issue.

My Samsung Galaxy S+ did Eindhoven - Berlin grand, have a Tunelink A2DP Bluetooth Adapter which also provides power over USB.

Switched over to the Nexus 7 now, 7 inch screen is a great in the car for the Sat Nav, plus powerful enough to run other apps in the background e.g. Podkicker, music, Flitsmeister (or your other favorite speed camera app) and Torque

Want to get a better mount though, hence why I bought the Brodit Kit.

Its not the 3g Version, but were so close to the border of Germany (And I work there) I just stick on tethering on my German phone, when in NL I stick on tethering on my Dutch phone.

Using Sygic Android at the moment and its great.

Battery in the Nexus lasts around 9-10 hours with usage.

Also have a Tomtom .. but never use it, its ok like .. just I'd prefer to have one device that does it all rather than one device for each task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is there any case I wonder where a phone would be using more power than it's getting fed from the charger? GPS, music, phone calls, wifi, bluetooth all on together?

dgt, the money saved in fuel, driver wage, stress relief etc more than covers the cost of a GPS. When I'm booking a job with a customer who lives in the middle of nowhere, I open up google maps, stick in the closest place to them, name a few roads around it, get the right road, open up street view, tell them I see the barn with the stones painted white at the gate, pan another little bit, tell them I see their house with the yellow door and the green nissan micra, they are baffled at this technology, I then click "what's here", get the coordinates, add the coordinates to the booking, the driver who has never spoken to the customer or has any idea where he's going before the job gets into the van, puts the coordinates into the GPS and arrives exactly on time. I'm just so thankful for such technology given my business and can only imagine how much heartbreak drivers must have had in the days before google maps, GPS and even mobile phones.

• Advertisement

I dont give a toss if you believe me or not! It was down to about 20% by the time I got there. Given that large stretches of the journey are motorway the screen was able to dim for large parts of the journey and use a lot less battery life. Perhaps if I was spending three hours driving around country back roads where Id need the screen all the time then it would be a different story, but then Id just plug the phone in.

I also dont know where you are getting this notion from that a plugged in phone is not going to keep up with GPS; unless you are using a rubbish cable or have no real power going to the phone then it should not be an issue.

Ooo Touchy! Sorry for picking on your phone. Your experience is no less experience than mine.

BTW i have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it is a high end phone. So dont need a new one.

@Kieth - The nexus 7 has obvious battery capabilities over a phone, It has a larger capacity doesnt have GSM , GPRS to contend with. I also have one of them and they are awesome. Wouldnt need it in the car as i have a android already. Albeit its not where near as quality as the nexus. Sygic maps is superb too i use that.

Ooo Touchy! Sorry for picking on your phone. Your experience is no less experience than mine.

BTW i have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it is a high end phone. So dont need a new one.

Its got nothing to do with my phone; you all but accused me of lying!

cormie wrote: »
    Is there any case I wonder where a phone would be using more power than it's getting fed from the charger? GPS, music, phone calls, wifi, bluetooth all on together?

Its possible, but I dont think I have ever experienced a situation where a phone, even when plugged into a car charger, has actually lost power while charging. At worst it might just stay static or charge extremely slowly.

Its got nothing to do with my phone; you all but accused me of lying!

I said im not buying this, Because my experience is otherwise. Not really saying your lying is it now. Just means im skeptical and would need to see it with my eyes because my experience is otherwise.

No need to be touchy. Its the internet we are all friends here.

I said im not buying this, Because my experience is otherwise. Not really saying your lying is it now. Just means im skeptical and would need to see it with my eyes because my experience is otherwise.

No need to be touchy. Its the internet we are all friends here.

I told you my experience, you called it anecdotal and said youre not buying it. Call it whatever you want; it amounts to the same. Theres no need to be a dick about it; several people have now disagreed with you.

I told you my experience, you called it anecdotal and said youre not buying it. Call it whatever you want; it amounts to the same. Theres no need to be a dick about it; several people have now disagreed with you.

2 People disagreed with me, I never called you names. You need to grow up a bit when some disagrees with you.

You need to grow up a bit when some disagrees with you.

Advice you would do well to take yourself...

Edit ..

Erra i'm not going to bother.

Grow up you langers :)

Youre right; lifes to short and all that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

What I found on my iPhone 4 (may be different with other models/brands not sure) was that the GPS app used about 1% battery every minute. Did most of the driving after that with the phone plugged into the car charger. I partially blame this for the poor battery life I have now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement