Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Cafe/Cafe Bar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

All the following names are spelled phonetically, to maximize their IMPACT!! :D

The Rashunall - the rational

The Scientifique - the scientific

The Laube - the Lab

The Pea Tree Dish or The P (to the power of) 3 Dish - The Petri Dish

Thoughts, suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

robindch wrote: »
    What about "The Infi-Deli"?

Would like to see a "Comfort Split" with banana ice-cream.

Apple Pie
    Made from scratch. Please allow ~13.7 billion years for preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Sarky wrote: »
    There's a creepy Christian cafe in Galway that seems to be doing just fine.
    Tobar?

I went there at least 10 times before I realised it was a Christian café. It's not particularly obvious apart from a few trinkets on the walls. They're really cheap and the food is decent enough, I'd say they get a lot of schoolkids.

I also listened to Spirit Fm for an embarrassing amount of time, thinking 2fm were doing a Father's Day theme because all the songs were about people's dads.

OP, I wouldn't open a café that was explicitly atheist, it's too narrow a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

EmmettInc wrote: »
    All the following names are spelled phonetically, to maximize their IMPACT!! :D

The Rashunall - the rational

The Scientifique - the scientific

The Laube - the Lab

The Pea Tree Dish or The P (to the power of) 3 Dish - The Petri Dish

Thoughts, suggestions?

I'd just go for "The Science Cafe". It's 100% unambiguous. Put a emphasis on science, education, environment which is as close to enlightened atheism as you get without the negative undertones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

243954.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'll have the Stephen Fries with some Rand dressing.

Warming to this idea, OP!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I'll have the Stephen Fries with some Rand dressing.
    Chips + vinegar = yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,124 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At least 84% of the Irish population disagreed with you in the last census.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    At least 84% of the Irish population disagreed with you in the last census.

SO 16% do not identify with any religion? Thats not a bad sized niche... Hipster market is definitely smaller than that!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SO 16% do not identify with any religion? Thats not a bad sized niche... Hipster market is definitely smaller than that!:P
    Actually, no. If you add together the "no religion", "atheist" and "agnostic" groups, plus all those who simply didn't answer the question, it comes to 7.6%. Ninja900's 84% figure refers to Catholics; you have to account for other Christians (6.3%) and non-Christian religions (1.9%) as well.

Still, 7.6% is a reasonable cohort - 350,000 people. The big question is, do their theological views determine their dining preferences?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Actually, no. If you add together the "no religion", "atheist" and "agnostic" groups, plus all those who simply didn't answer the question, it comes to 7.6%. Ninja900's 84% figure refers to Catholics; you have to account for other Christians (6.3%) and non-Christian religions (1.9%) as well.

Still, 7.6% is a reasonable cohort - 350,000 people. The big question is, do their theological views determine their dining preferences?

Ah got ya, scary to think that if you're not considered christian, you just fall ino the category of pagan :P

it's still a nice chunk, but the dispersal nationwide would probably be an issue, and also you have the whole do i really care that much about where i eat as long as its good factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Darwins used to be a good spot last time I was there. Not really in your face but thematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,124 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was addressing Robindch's heretical views on chips and vinegar actually!

84% = the ludicrously large number of people in Ireland claiming to be catholics (or whose mammies fill in the form for them, or who think that once you're baptised you're a catholic forever, etc. etc.)

Now - just thought of a name... wait for it...

'The Skeptic Tank' ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

'The Skeptic Tank' ;)
    I am so not eating there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

'The Skeptic Tank' ;)

Don't tell Phil Hogan about this. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Serve fish & chips on a cross-shaped plate and call it The Cod Delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mmm Sacrilicious.

You need to have a sign up saying 0% Horse Beef in our burgers, 0% Jewish Carpenter Blood in our Wine.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Mmm Sacrilicious.

You need to have a sign up saying 0% Horse Beef in our burgers, 0% Jewish Carpenter Blood in our Wine.
    A skeptic shouldn't make claims which aren't sustained by evidence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

No. Things like this just give right-wingers something to else moan about.

Don't know why anybody would got to it either if it's not local to them. People go to Cafe's/Cafe Bars for the quality of service not based on whether or not there religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

"There's probably no horse.
    Now stop worrying and enjoy your meal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

"I'm sorry we don't serve Eggs Benedict anymore. Might I recommend the Eggs Emeritus?"

Advertisement