Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favourite piece of exercise equipment and why?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

It can be a device, an item of clothing etc...
    Something you dont 'need' but like to use.

Mine - for running, a stopwatch, I dont measure how far I run, I measure how long I run for. I cant go for my run without it - god forbid Id run an extra few seconds!! Couldnt be having that!

For swimming, swim gloves - you know the ones that make it harder to swim? I love them because for the last few lengths I take them off and feel like Im flying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Right now, my cross country skis. I never would have been drawn to it but when in Rome... Its such a great workout. Works every major muscle group and is low impact on the joints.

A good base layer is essential too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Clothing - My new Nike free runs I got last week :D Love them
    Device - My ipod, can't work out unless I have decent music playing in my ear :P
    exercise equipment - I love the cross trainer for cardio and also love free weights. I prefer using free weights then using the weight equipment in the gym!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For running - my Garmin 305, very handy to have the GPS/HRM etc, also my Asics 2170s and full-length Nike tights. Mmm, comfort.

At the gym - I'm on a bit of a free weights buzz at the moment, considering doing Starting Strength soon.

For yoga - Long M&S coloured vest tops and my cheap-ass Decathlon yoga pants.

For cycling - my Specialized winter gloves, would be close to impossible for me to manage on the bike for long stretches of the year without them. €40 but well worth it.

In general - Panache sports bra

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My treadmill. After months of diddering I finally bought it and it's one of the best investments I ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I love my dog. She's the best excuse ever to get out. On days I feel lazy, all she does is look at me with her cute eyes and look over at her walking gear, and back to look at me again and so on until I give in.

I lost 5 stone about four years ago. I put half back on during college. Lost a stone last summer and put that back on over the christmas.

So since new years, I lost a stone and still motivated to keep going. I have been tracking calories. Bought a food scales to weigh food. I love my polar heart rate monitor watch. It calculates how much calories you've burned while exercising. I love seeing that I burned 400 calories on a walk. It makes me think twice about pigging out.

I bought a bike a couple of months ago and i'm loving it. Who needs a gym membership. Looking forward to the longer days, I will certainly be getting out more on the bike.

I also have a kettlebell and a dvd. I'm not sure if it helps with toning up as its only 4kg and i read that I should probably be using a heavier weight, but it certainly gets my heart rate up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Motivations pills. Either they don't exist or they're illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

my bike. I don't view it as exercise equipment tho, it's a mode of transport, I cycle pretty much everywhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

My set of kettlebells - strength and cardio training in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My dog is a good one..he needs two walks a day so he always gets me out. Plus living in Killarney most of the time helps!

The only bit of clothing so to speak is my knee support. Since dislocating and totally fecking up my knee I don't feel safe without it. Especially when training for taekwondo.

In the gym my favourite piece of equipment is the treadmill. Mainly because I can run for ages. Well, about an hour and a half. Not mad long...but when I go on the bikes I last about 15 minutes before my thighs start burning.

Advertisement