Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to tone and get bigger?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey people.

I started a gym program in September last year aimed at burning fat and toning up. I have since lost 9kg and toned up a good bit. I have changed my way of eating too. I am eating 100% healthy. I eat no processed food or fryed food. I dont eat white bread, chocolate, crisps or any general junk food.

I have just started a new program which has a lot more weight lifting in it and has got good reviews. I am taking 2 protein shakes a day also. 1 workout 5 days a week. My question is is there anything else I need to do to tone up and get bigger? or should i stay at what i am doing? (I wouldnt have the most defined muscles yet)

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

Look at amounts of food.
    Calorie breakdown, protein/fats/carbs.
    Find out your amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

GoldCobra wrote: »
    Look at amounts of food.
    Calorie breakdown, protein/fats/carbs.
    Find out your amounts.

Well here is a typical example of diet from yesterday .

Breakfast
    2 x wheatabix with low fat milk.

Morning Lunch break
    2 x Whole grain brown bread sandwiches
    Filled with grilled chicken breast, lettuce and tomato
    1 x Protein Shake

Midday Lunch
    1 x Chicken Salad consisting of Lettuce, Peppers, cucumber, Tomato and grilled chicken

Gym
    1 x Protein Shake

Dinner
    1 x Large Potato, 1 x ten oz fillet steak (grilled), 2 x carrots, 1/2 Cup of broccoli, 1/2 cup of cauliflower, 1/2 small tin of sweet corn.

Drinks for the day : 3 litres of water over the course of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

So use something like myfitnesspal or cronometer and work out how much calories you are eating. Then how much calories you body needs. And to get bigger eat a higher number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

crossy wrote: »
    Well here is a typical example of diet from yesterday .

Breakfast
    2 x wheatabix with low fat milk. - [B]full of sugar. have eggs (protein)
    [/B]
    Morning Lunch break
    2 x Whole grain brown bread sandwiches - again - Full of sugar and carbs, ditch the bread, have salad instead.
    Filled with grilled chicken breast, lettuce and tomato
    1 x Protein Shake

Midday Lunch
    1 x Chicken Salad consisting of Lettuce, Peppers, cucumber, Tomato and grilled chicken

Gym
    1 x Protein Shake

Dinner
    1 x Large Potato (carbs), 1 x ten oz fillet steak (grilled), 2 x carrots, 1/2 Cup of broccoli, 1/2 cup of cauliflower, 1/2 small tin of sweet corn.

Drinks for the day : 3 litres of water over the course of the day

Your diet isn't has great as you make it out. IMO you are not eating enough kcal's for someone who wants to build muscle and is training 5 days a week, and it's also fairly carb heavy.
    Are you not starving on that diet?

Have you worked out your macros? Your protein/carbs/fat percentage?
    Do you even know the purpose of taking protein in a diet or are you just taking it because you think it's like a juice that will make you like the hulk :rolleyes: Read the stickies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Hey people.

I started a gym program in September last year aimed at burning fat and toning up. I have since lost 9kg and toned up a good bit. I have changed my way of eating too. I am eating 100% healthy. I eat no processed food or fryed food. I dont eat white bread, chocolate, crisps or any general junk food.

I have just started a new program which has a lot more weight lifting in it and has got good reviews. I am taking 2 protein shakes a day also. 1 workout 5 days a week. My question is is there anything else I need to do to tone up and get bigger? or should i stay at what i am doing? (I wouldnt have the most defined muscles yet)

Thanks folks :)

Go for the Paleo diet for Athletes. Your diet is not too far off the Paleo diet. A good book here

This site is good: http://thepaleodiet.com/

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 faulttolerant

no such thing as getting "toned" and bigger at the same time unless your on peds..

get bigger first as in too big then get shredded brah

yeah brah #getshreddedordietrying

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Your diet isn't has great as you make it out. IMO you are not eating enough kcal's for someone who wants to build muscle and is training 5 days a week, and it's also fairly carb heavy.

Do you even know the purpose of taking protein in a diet or are you just taking it because you think it's like a juice that will make you like the hulk :rolleyes: Read the stickies.

I never once said my diet was great. I said it was healthy which it is. It worked for me when losing fat. I am on this now because I know my diet isnt right for what i want to do.

Also I have noticed myself getting hungry very easy lately and I am needing more food. I find that complex carbs are the only thing to keep me full or i will just keep eating.

I am not taking the protein as a juice. I am taking it as it promotes muscle growth and recovery and incase i havnt enough protein in my daily diet.

Also one last point.....I am a pure beginner to all this and your smart comments dont help because if I was a genius in this I wouldnt be on Boards looking for advice would I? People giving smart responses put you off forums if i knew the answers I wouldnt be asking you this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Also I have noticed myself getting hungry very easy lately and I am needing more food. I find that complex carbs are the only thing to keep me full or i will just keep eating.

You might be carb addicted... Eat fat and proteins, it will improve your appetite regulation (better regulate the "reward system"). You won't be craving carbs. The good thing with a Paleo type diet is that you can eat more and more often than you'd normally do and without worrying about putting on fat.

I never once said my diet was great. I said it was healthy which it is. It worked for me when losing fat. I am on this now because I know my diet isn't right for what i want to do.

I am not taking the protein as a juice. I am taking it as it promotes muscle growth and recovery and incase i haven't enough protein in my daily diet.

Also one last point.....I am a pure beginner to all this and your smart comments dont help because if I was a genius in this I wouldn't be on Boards looking for advice would I? People giving smart responses put you off forums if i knew the answers I wouldn't be asking you this

You said in your first post " have changed my way of eating too. I am eating 100% healthy" which would suggest to me that you think your diet is great.

" I find that complex carbs are they only thing that keep me full" -. Eat more calories from protein based foods and good fat foods. You're hungry because you are not eating enough.

The comment about taking protein as a juice was a sarcastic comment, relax :rolleyes: It will only help muscle growth providing your diet is correct.

No one is been smart, but questions like your's get posted on the forums every day with the same answers been given.
    Getting "toned" doesn't just happen over a couple of weeks by taking a few protein shakes, it requires a very strict diet and hard work IMO.
    Have a read through the stickies and search similar topics. You have been given the advice you requested.

read through the stickies and work out your macros.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

Is weetabix really full of sugar?

Just started using Oatibix as a quick breakfast in the morning as its very fast to gulp down a bowl. Wonder is it alright or is there anything better I could be having?

• Advertisement

You said in your first post " have changed my way of eating too. I am eating 100% healthy" which would suggest to me that you think your diet is great.

" I find that complex carbs are they only thing that keep me full" -. Eat more calories from protein based foods and good fat foods. You're hungry because you are not eating enough.

The comment about taking protein as a juice was a sarcastic comment, relax :rolleyes: It will only help muscle growth providing your diet is correct.

No one is been smart, but questions like your's get posted on the forums every day with the same answers been given.
    Getting "toned" doesn't just happen over a couple of weeks by taking a few protein shakes, it requires a very strict diet and hard work IMO.
    Have a read through the stickies and search similar topics. You have been given the advice you requested.

read through the stickies and work out your macros.

Ok ha. I just really want to gt it right because I was going to a fitness instructor in the gym but he wasnt great like.
    I am putting in all the hard work. I havnt missed a gym session yet. Its just the food I was unsure about.

What do you think of this program and Diet. ? seems to be little or no Veg in the diet. This is the program I am 3 weeks into.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/washboard-abs-bulgarian-fitness-model-lazar-angelov-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Ok ha. I just really want to gt it right because I was going to a fitness instructor in the gym but he wasnt great like.
    I am putting in all the hard work. I havnt missed a gym session yet. Its just the food I was unsure about.

What do you think of this program and Diet. ? seems to be little or no Veg in the diet. This is the program I am 3 weeks into.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/washboard-abs-bulgarian-fitness-model-lazar-angelov-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

To answer most questions about food, read the Stickies in this forum.

It's very difficult to outtrain a diet that isn't right. Example if you're not eating enough protein a day (1g/lb bodyweight) then you will find it difficult to grow muscle no matter how much work you do in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Can you post up what you consider to be a good diet for a day?
    The OPs diet isn't perfect but it's not the worst bag if ****e if a diet I've seen either.

You do realize that a balanced diet needs some carbs in it right?
    And that nutrient combining affects absorption rated as opposed to just eating bread & or weetabix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Donmartini

Eat clean and more than you will burn. 1.5g - 2g of protein per pound of body weight. And keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

And that nutrient combining affects absorption rated as opposed to just eating bread & or weetabix?

Everything that grows in the ground or on a tree is a carb - ie veg & fruit, it doesn't need to be processed wheat products.

Everything that grows in the ground or on a tree is a carb - ie veg & fruit, it doesn't need to be processed wheat products.

As a biochemist & a Biology teacher. I'm very much aware of what carbs are anywhere they can be found.

My question was asking why the person critiquing the OPs diet was appearing to suggest cutting out ALL carb rich foods Fuch could lead to an unbalanced diet.

Carbs are not the enemy.

Knowing macros & getting the right balance us the way to go

Can you post up what you consider to be a good diet for a day?
    The OPs diet isn't perfect but it's not the worst bag if ****e if a diet I've seen either.

The op asked for advice I gave it. His diet isn't terrible but it's not the ideal diet for someone who wants to "tone".

I never said cut carbs totally, I agree with having a balanced diet but if he wants results he will need a Clean strict diet - which involves cutting out all processed foods, including processed carbs (wheetabix, bread).
    has a previous posters said carbs can be also found in non processed foods - Veg, fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Donmartini wrote: »
    Eat clean and more than you will burn. 1.5g - 2g of protein per pound of body weight. And keep at it.

Unnecesary amount. 1g/lb is plenty of protein. There's studies that say anything more than 1.5g/KG is unnecessary. I just prefer the overkill.

Source

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Unnecesary amount. 1g/lb is plenty of protein. There's studies that say anything more than 1.5g/KG is unnecessary. I just prefer the overkill.

Source

You are using conflicting units there.

1g/lb works out at 2.2g/KG
    Which would be 220g it 880 kcals from protein for a 100kg guy.

1.5g/kg would work out at 150g of protein or 600 kcals.
    I feel this is on the low side for anyone doing resistance training, and given that protein is more satiating (filling) than other macros, I'd be aiming for a MINIMUM of 1g/lb and sometimes even 1.5g of protein per lb of BW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

As a biochemist & a Biology teacher. I'm very much aware of what carbs are anywhere they can be found.

My question was asking why the person critiquing the OPs diet was appearing to suggest cutting out ALL carb rich foods Fuch could lead to an unbalanced diet.

Carbs are not the enemy.

Knowing macros & getting the right balance us the way to go

I think that in the fitness industry, a low card diet is often expounded as the first line in any weight loss program. This to me seems to be because its easy eat 2000kcal in carbs (large pizza) but very difficult to do with protein (about 5 dozen eggs). Also carb restriction involves alochol restriction and sugar restriction both very helpful in weight loss and lifestyle change.

In the case of muscle gain, there seems to be a percentage of carbs to fats to protein of about 20/20/60 or 30/30/40 around those figures that most stick to.

I suppose my ramblings are that nobody is saying carbs are the enemy, but that eating clean means eating the right macros for your goals. I have seen lean fellows in programs that preach long periods of zero carbs exercise like savages but fail to gain any muscle or strength but on the same hand I have seen heavy chaps and ladys shed tons of fat on low carb diets. Depends on your goals and body composition.

Also low carb diets will also greatly reduce the water content of your body, enhancing the initial weight loss for those starting a program. This may be a cheat in ways but it has some serious positive mental implications for the person seeing the scales go down.

• Advertisement

You are using conflicting units there.

1g/lb works out at 2.2g/KG
    Which would be 220g it 880 kcals from protein for a 100kg guy.

1.5g/kg would work out at 150g of protein or 600 kcals.
    I feel this is on the low side for anyone doing resistance training, and given that protein is more satiating (filling) than other macros, I'd be aiming for a MINIMUM of 1g/lb and sometimes even 1.5g of protein per lb of BW.

I know but I was basing it on the quoted text. That's why the conflicting units.

1.5g/lb is a lot of protein to get in. Without shakes it's a very costly thing to do and might not even be necessary.

Fitzgeme - good post.
    Some good points there.

I agree in the main but that in itself is a seriois issue, re: weightloss vs fat loss.

It's easy to manipulate weight, harder to manipulate fat.

If people were more concerned with waist measurements & BF% instead of actual weight, thered be a healthier more long term approach to body composition (unless its a weight limited sport for example.)

Blacktie - it's not always that expensive to get 150g of protein in without shakes.

Personally, I have:
    two shakes a day - 48g 6am & 10pm
    Tin mackerel - 19g 6 am
    2 eggs - 16g - 7:30pm
    Chicken breast - 40g 1pm
    500ml milk/yoghurt - 16.5g 6am/1pm
    250g mince - 50g - 7:30pm

That's a conservative estimate & not that expensive really

If people were more concerned with waist measurements & BF% instead of actual weight, thered be a healthier more long term approach to body composition (unless its a weight limited sport for example.)

Very much agree with this. People are so concerned about the number on the scales and then get confusded of why it doesn't match the image in the mirror when they crash diet and lose alot of weight.
    Blacktie - it's not always that expensive to get 150g of protein in without shakes.

Personally, I have:
    two shakes a day - 48g 6am & 10pm
    Tin mackerel - 19g 6 am
    2 eggs - 16g - 7:30pm
    Chicken breast - 40g 1pm
    500ml milk/yoghurt - 16.5g 6am/1pm
    250g mince - 50g - 7:30pm

That's a conservative estimate & not that expensive really

Yeah that's fair enough I didn't think too much into my statement, just meat tends to be pricey when you don't earn much.

It's really a matter of trusting the source of my information. I generally do get more than the 1.5g/kg but never try to get say 3g/kg. Just seems huge to me. In saying that I do need to start tracking my macros again as I think I've lost track of it lately.

Cheers for all the help guys.

It has really helped.
    I have cut my carbs but not entirely gave them up. i am now focusing on complex carbs and staying away from white products(white bread, white wraps, etc.)

I am sticking with my 2 protein shakes a day along with 2 grilled chicken breasts and usually salmon too.
    I have also increased my food intake to 6 meals a day and never let myself hungry.
    My snacks consist of protein rich foods and fruit.

I havnt eaten take away food, chocolate or crisps in 9 months and I have currently lost 9kg because of this. I am thankfully starting to put back on weight in the form of muscle now.

cheers for your help.
    I am going to keep trying the way i am going now:)

Advertisement