Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Off the Ball' quit Newstalk

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Listening to a radio on a computer?! What are we.. ROBOTS!?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

escape m1 wrote: »

Well done, lads. Going from an audience of thousands to an audience of tens. Could it be that they needed newstalk more than they realised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Taking on a team of 5 would have been a pretty big undertaking for any other station. It's hard to see how they could have expected it to go any other way. Maybe Netflix or somebody would take them on to make a TV show, or even broadcast a video feed of the podcast taping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Would you really be ar5ed with all that palaver online, I just wanted them to be on my car radio, not have to get an app for that, and podcast it, download it, stream it, buffer it, drop it out and miss half the chat.

Just someone give them a job on a radio station I can receive, please.

you mustnt be too bothered they arent on your radio if you arent arsed taking a few minutes to download the podcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'd imagine this is just a way of keeping themselves in the public consciousness until something more concrete gets sorted out. I can't imagine that this is the plan long term.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe the IT plan on investing in this area?

They are a paper that has apps out there for all of the major tablets and phones, they are certainly the most tech savvy paper in the country and I guess moving themselves into the modern era is a smart way to go, and perhaps the IT will be more than just print in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Both sides are feeling the ground probably yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I'm clinging to the hope that the last sentence of that statement 'This month....' means this is related to Mcdevitt's gardening leave clause of three months and this is just a means of remaining in public consciousness until they can announce a new show next month. That mighn't e very realistic though, the stranglehold Denis O'Brien has over Irish media is really their largest problem.

On a more general note, such podcasts can be useful for newspapers to attract browsers to their website. The Guardian have been very proactive in their online strategy and their football weekly podcasts which, despite the name, are released twice a week regularly attract 200,000 listeners and their highest reported figure was close to 400,000.

AngeGal wrote: »
    The Guardian have been very proactive in their online strategy and their football weekly podcasts which, despite the name, are released twice a week regularly attract 200,000 listeners and their highest reported figure was close to 400,000.

You can't compare the IT website to the Guardian's. One's world class and one looks like a bad junior cert project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

You can't compare the IT website to the Guardian's. One's world class and one looks like a bad junior cert project.

I wasn't. I was pointing out the value sporting podcasts can have.

• Advertisement

AngeGal wrote: »
    I wasn't. I was pointing out the value sporting podcasts can have.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, just at the dreadful IT website. You are correct, football weekly is excellent, but if the quality of the site itself is any indication, they will make a balls (arf) of the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

awec wrote: »
    Maybe the IT plan on investing in this area?

They are a paper that has apps out there for all of the major tablets and phones, they are certainly the most tech savvy paper in the country and I guess moving themselves into the modern era is a smart way to go, and perhaps the IT will be more than just print in future?

The new IT website is an abomination imo, truly shocking....and their apps are as bad. Wouldnt consider them tech savy at all based on either of those. A newspaper on the slide imo and a podcast ain't going to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The new Indo website is pretty bad as well, looks like a blog with a budget design.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH I love the Windows 8 Irish Times app, I read it every day. Also don't mind the win phone 8 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The new Indo website is pretty bad as well, looks like a blog with a budget design.

agreed but it is still better than the ITs effort...at least you can find stuff`even if it is drivel. I've nearly given up on the IT completely in the last while..its gone to complete pot over the last few years..print and digital. Its no wonder its losing sales. It would be interesting to see how the new site has affected its stats, i know loads of people who just dont bother with it since the change..

anyway this is off topic...but I dont think a podcast is going to do much for the IT or the OTB lads.. could be wrong. I still listen to NT after 7..not missing the guys that left that much tbh and even if they do go to 2FM as rumoured , i doubt i'll tune in. Can't stand 2FM..its just a terrible radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

The lads not doing to bad on Second Captains tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Missed it, hopefully up on RTE Player later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

HAd it recorded, just watched it there now. Really enjoyable. Few first night nerves but I can see it really taking off. Great interview with ROG. Spoke a lot about his relationship with Sexton. Seems to be loving life as a coach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought their show on Newstalk was getting a bit stale and this is proving a good move for them.

A few more shows and they'll be able to get the big bucks off RTE or they can use the whole "we're off to the BBC" line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cut it down to half an hour and sack everyone except McDevitt. The other two offer nothing but cringeworthy attempts at humour or awkwardness in front of camera.

McDevitt could really go places though, imo. Seems to have the whole package.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Cut it down to half an hour and sack everyone except McDevitt. The other two offer nothing but cringeworthy attempts at humour or awkwardness in front of camera.

I don't think you can achieve much in half an hour.

I don't think you can achieve much in half an hour.

Response (a): There'd be time for 2 decent interviews and maybe one gimmick.

Response (b): That's what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Neil3030 wrote: »

And turn it into a stale and run of the mill sports show that wouldn't last long. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Noopti wrote: »
    And turn it into a stale and run of the mill sports show that wouldn't last long. Great idea.

Exactly. I liked the opening show but it was far from perfect, a lot of room to improve. The lads worked great together on radio and if given time I think they can do just as well on TV. The transition doesn't happen instantly though

Noopti wrote: »

Where did I suggest changing the theme of the show?

Advertisement