Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craughwell 10 Mile Road Race 24th March 2013 1 PM Galway

Options
  • 04-03-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Here is an update on the statistics of which clubs are in the Craughwell 10 mile road race for 2013 so far.

Leading the battle of entries to the Craughwell 10 as to be expected is our neighbouring clubs. Our good friends in Athenry AC at 49 entries lead the race, next Craughwell AC at 43, Galway City Harriers at 35, Galway Tri Club at 27, Loughrea AC at 18, South Galway AC at 9, Tuam AC 6. We also welcome the 200 non club runners to our event who come from all corners of Ireland.

The following clubs are also represented and are also most welcome to the 4th running of the Craughwell 10

Ballina AC, Mayo AC, Mullingar Harriers, Predator Tri Club, Carrick on Shannon AC, Clare River Harriers, Crusaders AC, Portumna AC, Sligo AC, T3, Ballincollig AC, Coolquill AC, Cork Tri Club, Doomoha AC, Dooneen AC, DSD AC, Dublin Front Runners AC, Kilmullay Ibrakane, Letterkenny AC, Limerick AC, Marathon Club Ireland, Maree AC, Mullagh AC, Nenagh Tri Club, North Sligo AC, Raheny Shamrock AC, Running Against Cancer Ballinasoe, Sportsworld Terenure, St Marys AC, Tullamore Harriers, Ultra Club, West Limerick AC, Wicklow Triathlone Club and Fingal Tri Club.

It is shaping up to be bigger and better with numbers well up on the last three years with three weeks left before the race. We look forward to seeing you again in Craughwell on the 24th March at 1 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LuckyL123

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

Have already registered but just wondering what the course is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

gaz200 wrote: »
    Have already registered but just wondering what the course is like?

Best word to describe it is 'rolling'.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

That'll do, thanks. Just wondered what I was in for

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Sorry Patrick - I was meant to put up something about this but was away over the weekend :-)

If you have any questions.. head over to the club website

Map of Route is here.

- Boards feedback from previous events: 2012, 2011,2010

Enter here

- Current Course Records:
    MS: 49:12 Sean Connolly, 2011
    FS: 58:55 Pauline Curley, 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

gaz200 wrote: »
    That'll do, thanks. Just wondered what I was in for

You can check it out here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27008273

Taken from the Race Profiles by GPS thread, not my data, credit to mistyfloyd for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

lway wrote: »
    You can check it out here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27008273

Taken from the Race Profiles by GPS thread, not my data, credit to mistyfloyd for sharing it.

The route for 2011 and 2012 had the loop section of this run in reverse. Not sure which way it is for this year but IMO the 2011 and 2012 were slightly easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Patricc

BrokenMan wrote: »
    The route for 2011 and 2012 had the loop section of this run in reverse. Not sure which way it is for this year but IMO the 2011 and 2012 were slightly easier.

The route for 2013 is the same as for 2011 and 2012 i.e. out along by the turlough and past Killeeneen national school heading past Maddens Forge and down through Roveagh etc...

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Hey BrokenMan - yeah depending on the wind direction, the 2011 route which was used in the first year could be easier. However when we looked at the video it was obvious that the small country road 2km in could get quite congested. for that reason it was decided to reverse the route so that it's wider at the start and the narrow section comes later in the race when the field is more dispersed. The times have been more or less consistent regardless of the route direction (Pauline's fastest run was last year for e.g.).

I'm not on the race committee this year so Patrick can answer things better than I, but that was the logic at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Great race yesterday - a credit to all involved. I'd run it every week if I could get that Jamaican ginger bread at the end! The post race grub was fantastic. Had a tough time deciding what layers to wear with that cold breeze and accidentally over did it by not noticing I had an extra tech t-shirt on between my base layer and running top! Plus tights, plus hat, plus gloves.

• Advertisement

Definitely a race of two halves for me.. Found the second half really tough as hadn't the work done.. knew my pace wasn't sustainable, but tied up even worse than I expected. Bitterly cold and quite windy, not a day for hanging around! Bloody glad it wasn't raining, that would have been hell.

Well impressed with Ailish Kelly - a finely paced run, she came on very strong in the last three miles.

Wasn't involved in the organization much this year so I can join in to commend the organizers without sounding smug - well done guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Had to miss this one due to a cold :(. After a 94min run last year and an 84 in Ballycotton this year, I was looking forward to knocking 10 mins of last years time. Was looking forward to the T-shirt as well as I always find the bright ones get the most wear.

Training for next year starts today :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

mrak wrote: »
    Definitely a race of two halves for me.. Found the second half really tough as hadn't the work done.. knew my pace wasn't sustainable, but tied up even worse than I expected. Bitterly cold and quite windy, not a day for hanging around! Bloody glad it wasn't raining, that would have been hell.

Well impressed with Ailish Kelly - a finely paced run, she came on very strong in the last three miles.

Wasn't involved in the organization much this year so I can join in to commend the organizers without sounding smug - well done guys :)
    How hard was yesterday with the wind and all ? For a person say running 65 would it have cost a min or over on a nice day so to speak......

Hard to say village runner.. I think it depends on how "up for it" you were. I finished in about what I expected, but I didn't know what to expect because I haven't the work done. I chatted to one 55 min runner who for e.g. was a couple of minutes slower than he was last year - and he is amazingly consistent and felt as good as last year, that said he was stuck out alone this year so it was harder. My own guess is that it would have added about 40-50 seconds to your time... but you got me curious so for a bit of science:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/running-in-windy-conditions/

The interesting one here is:

"A “substantial” wind (i.e. one approximately equal to the pace you are running at) will set you back 12 seconds per mile with a headwind, and aid you by 6 seconds per mile with a tailwind.
    "

By this reckoning the net effect would be 6 second per mile which is about minute.

According to MET eireann, the wind speed yesterday was about 12-15mph - so about 20-50% faster than someone trying to break 60 minutes, so this would indicate more than a minute.

That said, my gut feel was about 40-50 seconds :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

mrak wrote: »
    Hard to say village runner.. I think it depends on how "up for it" you were. I finished in about what I expected, but I didn't know what to expect because I haven't the work done. I chatted to one 55 min runner who for e.g. was a couple of minutes slower than he was last year - and he is amazingly consistent and felt as good as last year, that said he was stuck out alone this year so it was harder. My own guess is that it would have added about 40-50 seconds to your time... but you got me curious so for a bit of science:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/running-in-windy-conditions/

The interesting one here is:

"A “substantial” wind (i.e. one approximately equal to the pace you are running at) will set you back 12 seconds per mile with a headwind, and aid you by 6 seconds per mile with a tailwind.
    "

By this reckoning the net effect would be 6 second per mile which is about minute.

According to MET eireann, the wind speed yesterday was about 12-15mph - so about 20-50% faster than someone trying to break 60 minutes, so this would indicate more than a minute.

That said, my gut feel was about 40-50 seconds :-)
    Thanks for that mrak. Give me rain any day

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I really suffered into the wind in the last mile. It honestly felt like I was going backwards. Looking at the stats I actually kept the pace consistent but it didn't feel that way. Perfect organisation by Craughwell as always.

Well impressed with Eilish Kelly. She passed us whilst we were doing our warm up & made us look like we were standing still. Seriously strong looking runner. Interesting to compare the body types of 1st & 2nd place females. Very similar times but very different shape, Eilish is very strong & muscular looking (without being beefy, not trying to insult the girl), whilst Barbara is painfully thin but is obviously very strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Great times by the lead women, seems to be a very strong group of girls at national level all working off each other, does not seem to be the same group/racing mentality among the top men this year anyway perhaps its a hangover from London and qualification attempts and a not so great Euro cross, but you have to get back into it!

Pity could not run this through a crippling hip injury, not as many lads sub the hour this year wonder is that conditions or general standards decline , mostly Vets in the top echelon too, the top three boys all ran close to their best wind or not, bearing in mind the legend that is Gerry Ryan is almost at the half century - he must be at World level among the top V 50s once he hits the mark later this year !

Numbers up again this year well done to Craughwell on this its an expertly organised race good wishes to mrak and crew on this event in future.

Advertisement