Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craughwell 10 Mile 20th March 2011 @ 1:00PM

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Craughwell.. one village.. three pubs.. no real shop.. no secondary school.. occasional flooding. What does it have? The second biggest athletic club in the country in 2010!!

We're holding our second annual 10-mile club Road Race on Sunday March 20 2011 and this is the boards thread for chat, issues, queries.

2011_flyer.jpg

- Fast, flat route
    - Closed roads
    - Prizes and category prizes
    - incorporating Galway AAI 10-mile championships
    - tasty food
    - Entry fee 20 euro (will likely go up a bit a month before the race to help us get the headcount sorted)
    - Last race Rated 9/10 in Irish Runner Magazine.
    - Boards feedback from last event: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759772
    - Enter here

- Current Course Records:
    MS: 50:35 Gerry Ryan
    FS: 59:45 Pauline Curley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Looking forward to it, it was a great day last year

Will you give my time as Elvis Presley again this year, mrak??

(It wasnt my fault honest) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

if i sign up for connemara half this will certainly be on the cards as a prep race , good value for €20 especially if it got 9/10 in the irish runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

catweazle wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, it was a great day last year

Will you give my time as Elvis Presley again this year, mrak??

(It wasnt my fault honest) :o
    That was YOU? PM me your real name and I'll correct last year's results!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great stuff Mark. Myself and Andy were only talking recently about how much we enjoyed this race last year. An absolute belter of a 10 miler. Plus that spread you laid on at the finish was massive. Will definitely be back in march. Keep us updated on the numbers as we go, sold out fairly quickly last year if Im not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Did the inaugral event this year, cant stress how well organised it was, it gets a big :D for me. Its an up and down course, with friendly positive stewards,& a great currant brack for afterwards, with tons of tea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Having trouble signing up for this on runireland. Took all my details but then said something about security certificate. Anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

...this is one of the best races in Ireland, not matter what angle you look at it from.

First and foremost, this is a club event, organised to the highest possible standards. It's devised, organised and promoted by runners for runners. There have been many gripes this year about large, privately-promoted events that have often failed to match the hype with the product. To my mind many of those criticisms have been well justified. As an antidote to that 'road-running for profit' culture, the Craughwell 10 is organised by one of the most active and proactive clubs in the country with the needs of the participants in mind rather than how much profit can be made.

At the inaugural race last year great care was taken to make sure that the race was safe, successful, competitive, enjoyable and good value for money. If you entered a race that dissapointed you in any way in 2010, do youself a favour and enter this one to see how it really should be done.

Mick Rice wrote: »
    ...this is one of the best races in Ireland, not matter what angle you look at it from.

First and foremost, this is a club event, organised to the highest possible standards. It's devised, organised and promoted by runners for runners. There have been many gripes this year about large, privately-promoted events that have often failed to match the hype with the product. To my mind many of those criticisms have been well justified. As an antidote to that 'road-running for profit' culture, the Craughwell 10 is organised by one of the most active and proactive clubs in the country with the needs of the participants in mind rather than how much profit can be made.

At the inaugural race last year great care was taken to make sure that the race was safe, successful, competitive, enjoyable and good value for money. If you entered a race that dissapointed you in any way in 2010, do youself a favour and enter this one to see how it really should be done.

Well said Mick, 100% spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

ill look into doing this race....sounds like a good one!

think the inter-varsities split this and ballycotton....so could be a busy few weeks!!!

Wow thanks for the nice comments Mick et al! No pressure! Actually people don't need to wait till March 20th for a good club race - there's a flagship one in Athenry on Stephen's day, (weather permitting!) and another good one in Tuam shortly after that! On a side-note - I think all club races are good - they are always well marshalled, mostly no-nonsense and there's a nice feeling that 100% of leftovers are just going back to local athletics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

seanynova wrote: »

think the inter-varsities split this and ballycotton....so could be a busy few weeks!!!

definitely try to squeeze this one in if you can Seany. I did it last year and all the plaudits are well deserved. I'll be looking at it as a target race before Rotterdam this time round.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    definitely try to squeeze this one in if you can Seany. I did it last year and all the plaudits are well deserved. I'll be looking at it as a target race before Rotterdam this time round.

If i dont get into ballycotton, then this will be the target race, and ill forget about running the intervarsities.....but if i end up running ballycotton, i could be run down but i should still be in good enough shape for this one....ill pencil it in anyway :)

it would be perfect timing for your rotterdam training....hard part is deciding what session to drop for daniels plan ;) (think i dropped an "easy" long run for the race)

i think my early new years resolution is not to run and of the "new" commercial races, plenty on offer from athletics clubs, BHAA etc.....so ill be happy out with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

MRAK, FINALLY MANAGED TO ENTER THIS RACE AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS, THANKS FOR EMAIL AND LOOKING FORWARD TO THE EVENT IN MARCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Just entered this race, looking forward to it.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Just entered this race, looking forward to it.

Good man Heff, I think you'll enjoy this one. I'll see you there.

Looking forward to gettin back in a training routine. Is your calf injury all clear?

is there entry on the day for this, or does entry close before the race date?

id like to race it but might not make a decision until after i recover after Ballycotton

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

It was handy to be able to enter this race at our own Athenry 10k - it's a great target to motivate some post-Christmas miles.

Looking forward to it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Mick Rice wrote: »
    It was handy to be able to enter this race at our own Athenry 10k - it's a great target to motivate some post-Christmas miles.

Looking forward to it ...

I should of signed up whilst at the FoA. I must sign up soon for this

Looking forward to gettin back in a training routine. Is your calf injury all clear?

Calve is ok, tends to tighten up after speedwork, so just need to be careful about what I do during next days session. Whats the target, sub 55mins? Sure feck it, we go for broke...........

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Calve is ok, tends to tighten up after speedwork, so just need to be careful about what I do during next days session. Whats the target, sub 55mins? Sure feck it, we go for broke...........

You seem to have the calf under control. Sub 55 would be a though ask for me, I reckon sub 56 will be the target, anything else will be a bonus. Hope to go sub 55 in the frank duffy. I'm gonna start racing more as I only done 4 races and 2 marathons last year.

You seem to have the calf under control. Sub 55 would be a though ask for me, I reckon sub 56 will be the target, anything else will be a bonus. Hope to go sub 55 in the frank duffy. I'm gonna start racing more as I only done 4 races and 2 marathons last year.

Cool. Sure its a bit away at the moment so we'll work something out on the day. Maybe 6 races for the year is a bit on the low side, but having said that, you knocked out quality times for the ones you did do. I did too many races last year and ended up blowing myself out, so if you can get the balance right and just do enough, you'd be a serious contendor. Plus the grub they put on after this race is worth a sub 56 effort......

is there entry on the day for this, or does entry close before the race date?

id like to race it but might not make a decision until after i recover after Ballycotton

think there is a limit on it Seany, not sure if there taking entries on the day. Should be a good race with a quality field with a lot of dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

I've heard great things about this race (the finishers medal looks class!) and would assume it's filling very quickly, is the course flat enough for a pop at a pb?

I've heard great things about this race (the finishers medal looks class!) and would assume it's filling very quickly, is the course flat enough for a pop at a pb?

While its not pancake flat, it's still a good course for a pb. There is a long'ish drag in mile 6 and a shorter one at the beginning of the last mile.

You can check out more here:
    http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=40&Itemid=91

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Thanks for that speedy, It looks well worth the trek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Has anyone an exact location of it ???

Has anyone an exact location of it ???

Craughwell is on the old Dublin road VR.

If your coming from the motorway, you may be best to get off at the Loughrea exit, take the Loughrea road 5mls (its a new and very good road) and then follow the signs for Craughwell, its only about a 10min drive from Loughrea.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=307126002270523561

I did up a video of last year's race:

http://www.craughwellac.com

Good luck to anyone taking part and looking forward to seeing you!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Really looking forward to this one. Lovely part of the country.

Advertisement