Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for any advice anyone has. I've always had irregular periods. I went on the pill 5 years ago which was great because it regulated my periods. I came off it after 2 years and my periods went back to being irregular and I also got a really bad breakout of spots all over my chest and back. I went to the doctor and got prescribed creams for that which did improve it but in the end I decided to go back on the pill for my skin and for regular periods. The doctor also did some hormone tests and told me that I had low testosterone but she just said it wasn't something that I needed to worry about until I wanted to plan a family.

It's something that's always been at the back of my mind ever since, a fear that maybe I can't get pregnant. Now my parter would really like to have a baby and although at first I wasn't sure, I've really come around to the idea. Thing is I'm terrified I won't be able to get pregnant. I know there's probably no point going back to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked again until I'm off the pill a while to allow my body and hormone levels time to get back to normal and see what way my cycles are now. So I'm thinking I come off the pill and just give it time, maybe go to the doctor 6 months down the line for further tests? I've done a lot of reading up lately and I'm worried I might have PCOS as irregular periods and acne are systems. I'm worried I might be infertile and unable to get pregnant. This would kill me as I've always wanted to have a family someday.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Hi, I'm looking for any advice anyone has. I've always had irregular periods. I went on the pill 5 years ago which was great because it regulated my periods. I came off it after 2 years and my periods went back to being irregular and I also got a really bad breakout of spots all over my chest and back. I went to the doctor and got prescribed creams for that which did improve it but in the end I decided to go back on the pill for my skin and for regular periods. The doctor also did some hormone tests and told me that I had low testosterone but she just said it wasn't something that I needed to worry about until I wanted to plan a family.

It's something that's always been at the back of my mind ever since, a fear that maybe I can't get pregnant. Now my parter would really like to have a baby and although at first I wasn't sure, I've really come around to the idea. Thing is I'm terrified I won't be able to get pregnant. I know there's probably no point going back to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked again until I'm off the pill a while to allow my body and hormone levels time to get back to normal and see what way my cycles are now. So I'm thinking I come off the pill and just give it time, maybe go to the doctor 6 months down the line for further tests? I've done a lot of reading up lately and I'm worried I might have PCOS as irregular periods and acne are systems. I'm worried I might be infertile and unable to get pregnant. This would kill me as I've always wanted to have a family someday.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you

cant give advice here, my girlf has the same though, go to a doctor if you have any concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Hi sydneylover,
    PCOS was discussed pretty recently so there's a thread about that there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779122 that might be of some help. Your irregular periods and acne COULD be symptoms of PCOS, but they also mightn't be. Some people are just predisposed to acne, and irregular periods are not compeltely uncommon, and things tend to go mental on and off the pill yknow? It very likely could be PCOS and if you read more about it you might realise you have other symptoms too.

But anyway I wouldn't wait 6 months to see the doc. Starting a family after coming off the pill can be hard enough, and if it is with pcos in the mix then it could take quite a while, so I'd get to the doc sooner rather than later to start getting things sorted if you're TTC.

Be optimistic anyway, it mightn't be pcos, pcos does not mean infertility and lots of women with pcos do conceive! :)

Advertisement