Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skimmed milk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I stand to be corrected and knowing me I'm probably wrong but I think skimmed milk has more calcium than semi or full fat.
    It tastes horrible at first but you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

There's no water added to semi skimmed or skimmed milk. They have less cream.

And no Vitamin A.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is skimmed milk not a British thing. They sell low fat milk here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nah, they sell a lot of skimmed milk here too. It's usually the pink one. It's fairly pointless imo, may aswell just have extra water in your tea!

Whats the difference between skimmed and low fat then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Skimmed milk is 0% fat (I think) as in they remove all the cream. Low fat is 1 or 2% fat, some cream is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Whats the difference between skimmed and low fat then?

Just different fat percentages. Full fat has between 3.5% and 4% fat. Skimmed or the pink cartons here usually have 1% or less. What we would call low fat typically lies somewhere in between, 2% being the most common I've seen.

They don't just add water to reduce the fat level. I have no idea how they remove the fat but I know they don't just add water because 100ml of each contains the same amount of protein but just has less fat and therefore less calories.

The difference in calories is pretty minor tho, you will only see a significant reduction in fat/calorie intake if you drink litres of milk a day. I used to find it funny when I would see some women in an office I used to work in bringing in their own 1% milk to have with their tea throughout the day rather than drinking the full fat provided. The amount of calories you would shave by using 1% instead of full fat in about 3/4 cups of tea is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

brummytom wrote: »
    My nan used to call skimmed milk 'Bull's Milk'. Horrible stuff.

You might want to have a think about that a bit more

Ok well then whats the difference between low fat and semi skimmed?

Terry Pratchet

Low fat is semi skimmed - same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Skimmed milk also has none of the fat soluble vitamins that whole milk provides. What I find funny is that before skimmed milk was sold to humans as a zero fat replacement to whole milk, it was sold to farmers as a fatting agent for pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They don't just add water to reduce the fat level. I have no idea how they remove the fat

They skim it off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Full fat only. Fúck the size 6 stick figure, I rather a good proper milk! It may not be made with added water, but it bloody tastes like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They put the milk in a big tank, the fat floats to the surface which they skim off and use for butter, cheese etc.

They then sell the skimmed milk for more, which has to be a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You're shopping in the wrong place. Tesco sell skimmed (well, the pink stuff) for 85c a litre which is cheaper than their other milk.

Of course, it's probably horses milk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I love a big icy-cold glass of skimmed milk straight from the fridge - it's so refreshing :)

Full fat is too thick and heavy-tasting IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Latchy wrote: »
    Less calories in skimmed milk but it's semi - skimmed I use
    if you are adding it to tea or coffee you are likely to add more of it to get the colour you are used to

so I'd argue that you could be getting more calories

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I only use skimmed milk. Fat milk is yuck. It's chewy :/

Beefy78 wrote: »

You're shopping in the wrong place. Tesco sell skimmed (well, the pink stuff) for 85c a litre which is cheaper than their other milk.

I stand corrected then. I was going by semi skimmed prices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They put the milk in a big tank, the fat floats to the surface which they skim off and use for butter, cheese etc.

In the past the cream was most valuable bit but not anymore with the advent of things like palm oil

nowadays the cream is centrifuged from the remaining skimmed milk and the two streams don't cross , until near the "bottling" or cheese ("Blessed are the cheese makers")

the protein in the skimmed milk is worth more than the fat nowadays, it's the non-specific "non-fat milk solids" you see on labels on lots of stuff

oddly enough human milk is low in fat and high in sugars so it might taste more like skimmed milk ?

• Advertisement

In the past the cream was most valuable bit but not anymore with the advent of things like palm oil

nowadays the cream is centrifuged from the remaining skimmed milk and the two streams don't cross , until near the "bottling" or cheese ("Blessed are the cheese makers")

the protein in the skimmed milk is worth more than the fat nowadays, it's the non-specific "non-fat milk solids" you see on labels on lots of stuff

oddly enough human milk is low in fat and high in sugars so it might taste more like skimmed milk ?

I didn't want to get too technical. I've been to a milk processing plant, fascinating place. The amount of milk produced in this country is amazing.

Very popular in China apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Beefy78 wrote: »

I think it's 75c B-) Even cheaper!

Advertisement