Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic Things Going Viral

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have to start a thread on this.

There are many amazing internet sensations out there. Things that have gone 'viral' and deserve to.

So for the past few days, I have been coming across the term 'Harlem Shake'. I hadn't a clue what it was but even the term was bugging the t1ts off me.

So this morning I googled it... "The videos last between 30 and 32 seconds and feature part of the song "Harlem Shake" by electronic musician Baauer. Usually, a video begins with one person (often helmeted or masked) dancing to the song alone for 15 seconds, surrounded by other people not paying attention or unaware of the dancing individual. When the bass drops, the video cuts to the entire crowd doing a crazy convulsive dance for the next 15 seconds. The dancing style should not be confused with the original Harlem Shake dance. Additionally, in the second half of the video, people often wear a minimum of clothes or crazy outfits or costumes while wielding strange props"

Okay..... thats grand. But it's still not even mildly entertaining, funny or remotely amazing!! It's kinda like - so f*cking what?!?

So now I have loads of people sending me random Harlem Shake videos going 'this will sway your opinion'. None of them do. Is there something i'm missing here? HOW has this concept gone viral? Is this what passes for entertainment these days?

Do you have your own WTF when it comes to something that's gone viral? Do you struggle to understand how something crap has become so popular across the world?

Share.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sometimes I think about it and I just can't fathom how so many people can "like" stupid things on Facebook. For example, those "Like if you hate Cancer" things. What a stupid fúcking idea. And these things get hundreds of thousands of likes?? The mind boggles.
    But then I remember the most important part that explains it all:
    People Are Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

1 like = 1 prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I second that Harlen Shake crap. Its the best example of how dumbed down the average human has become if they find this tripe even remotely interesteing or funny.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I went into Youtube to look at it there and one of the videos was suggested to me automatically, probably has something to do with looking at this thread first. Is dis de new ting now, is it?

And yeah, you're right, it's fooking stupid along with that Gangham Style bollocks. I really can't tolerate people with a **** sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I second that Harlen Shake crap. Its the best example of how dumbed down the average human has become if they find this tripe even remotely interesteing or funny.

The average human being hasn't dumbed down, the barrier of entry to the internet has significantly lowered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I bet you can't name a fish that doesn't have an A in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

So who are all these people sharing Harlem Shake videos, saying they're bleedin' deadly? G'wan! Make yourselves known!!!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Did we get Kony yet?

antodeco wrote: »

cod?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Talk To Frank

I think you're looking for a kick, in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wurly wrote: »

cod?

You obviously haven't seen those posts on Facebook! Spreading like wildfire. People put down an answer so it appears. Someone else does the same thing. It spreads and spreads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I have ended up watchin this every day now. It just gets better.

You obviously haven't seen those posts on Facebook! Spreading like wildfire. People put down an answer so it appears. Someone else does the same thing. It spreads and spreads!

Yeah i'd a feeling it'd be something like that. Jaysis - why are people SO annoying!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I think the Harlem Shake videos are very often hilarious.

Not everyone finds the same things funny shocker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Ok, I have to start a thread on this.

There are many amazing internet sensations out there. Things that have gone 'viral' and deserve to.

So for the past few days, I have been coming across the term 'Harlem Shake'. I hadn't a clue what it was but even the term was bugging the t1ts off me.

So this morning I googled it... "The videos last between 30 and 32 seconds and feature part of the song "Harlem Shake" by electronic musician Baauer. Usually, a video begins with one person (often helmeted or masked) dancing to the song alone for 15 seconds, surrounded by other people not paying attention or unaware of the dancing individual. When the bass drops, the video cuts to the entire crowd doing a crazy convulsive dance for the next 15 seconds. The dancing style should not be confused with the original Harlem Shake dance. Additionally, in the second half of the video, people often wear a minimum of clothes or crazy outfits or costumes while wielding strange props"

Okay..... thats grand. But it's still not even mildly entertaining, funny or remotely amazing!! It's kinda like - so f*cking what?!?

So now I have loads of people sending me random Harlem Shake videos going 'this will sway your opinion'. None of them do. Is there something i'm missing here? HOW has this concept gone viral? Is this what passes for entertainment these days?

Do you have your own WTF when it comes to something that's gone viral? Do you struggle to understand how something crap has become so popular across the world?

Share.:)

Very surprised you should not be able to figure out this stuff.

You see, what people want these days is their 15 mins of fame.

They don't care how they achieve it as long is does not involve hard work and dedication.

This Harlem Shake thing will be superseded by some other idiotic stuff in a month or two,but the one constant will be ,get yourself on some kind of media whatever way possible and the more asinine and vulgar you appear the better.
    Just Get up There.

Look at all that reality show crap,z class "celebs" doing "bush tucker challenges"

FFS. It's mind blowing it's so stupid.

I'm reall surprised that you are surprised :eek:

Very surprised you should not be able to figure out this stuff.

You see, what people want these days is their 15 mins of fame.

They don't care how they achieve it as long is does not involve hard work and dedication.

This Harlem Shake thing will be superseded by some other idiotic stuff in a month or two,but the one constant will be ,get yourself on some kind of media whatever way possible and the more asinine and vulgar you appear the better.
    Just Get up There.

Look at all that reality show crap,z class "celebs" doing "bush tucker challenges"

FFS. It's mind blowing it's so stupid.

I'm reall surprised that you are surprised :eek:
    Yes, I get that. But what I don't get is that HOW something SO terrible is deemed to be SO entertaining.

I might as well do a video of me standing there, scratching my arse!

Anyway - here is Harlem's reaction to the Harlem Shake. Ha! I rest my case.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

the thing with the sheep screaming - WTF

Also the Harlem shake, though I saw one with berba doing it pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You have to watch the lads on a dublin bus doing the harlem shake - it's the funniest thing you'll ever see in your life.

So i look at it on youtube.........

It's not funny.........at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I might as well do a video of me standing there, scratching my arse!

Do it and we'll make your arse viral!

Be sure to record it alongside the most repulsive piece of 'music' you can possibly find as this really seems to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yes, there are stupid vids all over the web but there are some absolute gems as well that make you roar laughing and they make it all worthwhile. I really really like the fact that somone would take time out of their day to edit together a stupid funny video like that goat one on page one for no other reason than 'for the laugh' !!

It's what life is all about imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

cod?
    Now everyone of your FB friends will see it. Easy and free advertising for sh*te pages.

Anyhow....

Like if you hate cancer!
    Like if you hate child abuse!
    Like if you hate animal abuse!

[insert picture of child/animal abuse]
    1 like equals one kick in the head for the b*stard who's doing abuse

Like= [Likeable Thing One]
    Share= [Likeable Thing Two]
    Ignore = Justin Bieber

Name a movie without a B in the title! I bet you can't.

I.Q test
    98% of people can't get this
    [insert maths question with annoying syntax]

This badly [strike]deformed[/strike] photoshopped baby was born with cancer/ tumor in its brain/head/throat.
    1 Like = 1 Prayer

Its gets annoying when every day more than 1 of these everyday pooping up in your timeline. I find it disgusting that people use cancer as a way of getting likes and advertising for there sh*tty page. Also the pictures of abuse/"cancer" lookin for likes are in serious bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm gonna make a kick ass page of lots of little hamster .gifs seemingly dancing about to this goofy Wav file I'll insert on it.
    Fresh!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

keith16 wrote: »
    Did we get Kony yet?
    He is running in the next local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What really, really hacks me off on FB is those stauses that are 'Like if you love your granny, ignore if you want her to fall into a pit of tar and slowly die'. FFS! I think I'll unfriend the next person to post one.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

keith16 wrote: »
    Did we get Kony yet?

He is playing up front for Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sole, trout

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

elefant wrote: »
    I think the Harlem Shake videos are very often hilarious.

Not everyone finds the same things funny shocker.

Trust me they were very funny before becoming popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't understood what 'viral' actually means. Does a video have to get over a certain amount of views on youtube to go viral?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Like if you hate cancer, ignore if you have no heart.

Go fcuk yourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Charlie bit my finger, fcuking hate that video.
    Sniffling little whinge needed a good slap

Advertisement