Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on slane river walkway please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea it was (another!) landslide. They were supposed to be finished repairing by 17 Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Ah Well live in hope.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I used to (before the ankle-biter happened) walk along the Boyne canal after parking near that wrought iron bridge. I remember the walk getting really narrow and fairly overgrown a couple of miles further on. I always wondered it would be a nice day out to come back with a machete and clear the way as you go along. I would also love to bike it all the way some day.

positron wrote: »
    I used to (before the ankle-biter happened) walk along the Boyne canal after parking near that wrought iron bridge. I remember the walk getting really narrow and fairly overgrown a couple of miles further on. I always wondered it would be a nice day out to come back with a machete and clear the way as you go along. I would also love to bike it all the way some day.
    ah i passed it again this morning on the bike temped to go down but changed my mind again as i know i would only have to turn back:mad:.i never came across a local to ask how far it goes.

Almost two months on and STILL closed! :mad::mad::mad:

Apparently waiting for ESB to move a pylon. A deadline is no longer being provided.

I see a campaign has now started against the newly approved boardwalk and cycleway, or more specifically, the one way system and location of the parking spaces proposed. I hope this doesn't delay things too much. Really look forward to this being completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Reading through this thread and its such a shame that our town doesn't take more advantage of our river. I was in Waterford and there was this stream of kids no older than 7 or 8 on heading out on the kayake lesson on a Saturday morning. I thought why on earth is there nothing like that in Drog or even Clogher, mornington etc?

Love the walks through old bridge down at the river, on a sunny day it's so beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

PinkFly wrote: »
    Reading through this thread and its such a shame that our town doesn't take more advantage of our river. I was in Waterford and there was this stream of kids no older than 7 or 8 on heading out on the kayake lesson on a Saturday morning. I thought why on earth is there nothing like that in Drog or even Clogher, mornington etc?

Love the walks through old bridge down at the river, on a sunny day it's so beautiful
    There is.

Celtic Canoes. :)

I'm not affiliated btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

MugMugs wrote: »
    There is.

Celtic Canoes. :)

I'm not affiliated btw.

For kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

PinkFly wrote: »
    For kids??

They've got a summer camp as far as I know. Not sure if they run the boyne. I'm sure if the demand was there they could

SO has all plans being shelfed for the cycleway is it going to happen at all.

• Advertisement

No plans shelved that I've heard.

Some of the neighbours have started a campaign against the one way system and the new parking spaces being proposed which is understandable if you actually live on the route but is no doubt going to delay things unfortunately. They do not oppose the cycle way or walk way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

The Ramparts from Drogheda towards Oldbridge is currently closed due to a landslide, which is a real pity. Hopefully it will be repaired and reopened soon. The new walk along the Boyne from the Ramparts to Oldbridge estate is excellent, though, but let down as you have to walk along the main road with no paths for the next section. However, there's a good route along the canal tow path for the next while.

After the canal it peters out. It's still walkable, but the quality is very variable. Parts are good and reasonably well maintained, other parts are abandoned and you've a lot of mud and overgrowth to deal with. I've walked beyond Newgrange without too much difficulty. However, it would be challenging to cycle - there would be sections that the only option would be to shoulder your bike and walk.

I would love to see this developed as a walking/cycling route, as it would have a lot of potential for tourism.

James

Advertisement