Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we introduce snakes back into the wild in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pythons being accidentally introduced into the Everglades is working out well. And Guam is lucky to have the brown tree snake.

Yep, should work out well for our native wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There's loads of snakes in the Dail!

ahhahahhahahahahahah
    ahhahahhahahahahahah
    ahhahahhahahahahahah
    ahhahahhahahahahahah
    ahhahahhahahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

As regards introducing snakes here, I think we should learn from what happened in Guam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Yes please introduce an animal that can squeeze me to death and swallow me whole. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

kylith wrote: »
    Yeah. Lets introduce more non-native predators to decimate our wildlife. What a genius, genius idea.

What's that? Not another German shooting party?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

crockholm wrote: »
    What would st. patrick say?

yakki dah look you Boyo, yes indeed,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

qwert2 wrote: »
    Every other European country has snakes in the wild, even the Scandanvian countries. Is it time to re-introuduce them here?
    The snakes native to Scandinavia would hibernate during the cold winters so those snakes couldn't be introduced to Ireland, as snakes live on the ground I would think the Irish climate is too wet for them to thrive. There must have been hundreds if not thousands bought in pet shops here who were released or escaped into the wild but the fact that they didn't multiply (like mink and grey squirrels) means they could never thrive in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The snakes native to Scandinavia would hibernate during the cold winters so those snakes couldn't be introduced to Ireland, as snakes live on the ground I would think the Irish climate is too wet for them to thrive. There must have been hundreds if not thousands bought in pet shops here who were released or escaped into the wild but the fact that they didn't multiply (like mink and grey squirrels) means they could never thrive in Ireland.

The uk does have three native species of snake and one introduced (no more snake jokes pls) so I don't see why they couldn't survive in Ireland.
    I'm not suggesting for a minute to bring a crate of em over here and let them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Only in the Burren. Then we can have Snakes on a...............Plain.

The Burren has a 'slow worm' - a poor man's version of a snake (legless lizard). It will have to do you for the meantime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Anguis_fragilis

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Forget my stupid question.......

Nightmare scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Would it mean we have to give up getting mortal on St Patrick's day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

MadsL wrote: »
    Wut? You mean you believe St Patrick drove them, and any evidence of snakes existing in Ireland, out of the country. :D

I have a bridge for sale if you are interested.
    Yous finally admitting yous bought the wrong one over there in Arizona?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mad idea, it would only take all the meaning out of St. Patricks day and we'd only end up using the day as a pissup down the pub instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jester77 wrote: »
    Mad idea, it would only take all the meaning out of St. Patricks day and we'd only end up using the day as a pissup down the pub instead.

Keep May 10th free... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whacking_Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

qwert2 wrote: »
    Forget my stupid question.......

Nightmare scenario

This should not be revelant to Ireland as this scenario is not the case in the UK.
    A main for point is that I believe snakes woudl lower the rat population.
    A proper study into this could be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

pipie wrote: »
    This should not be revelant to Ireland as this scenario is not the case in the UK.
    A main for point is that I believe snakes woudl lower the rat population.
    A proper study into this could be worthwhile.

I'm not sure if the sort of snakes in the UK feed off rats. Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No. I can't see the benefit of this, it would only cause problems for everyone here

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly...........

There is a lesson in that story somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly...........

There is a lesson in that story somewhere.
    I dunno. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

Where To wrote: »
    I dunno. Why?

It's about horses for courses

• Advertisement

Are there snakes in Iceland?

Are there snakes in Iceland?

No.

Iceland, Ireland and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

wish we did have snakes in Ireland. Also, if they can survive in Scotland and England, then they can definitely survive here. They are the only countries it seems with equally wet weather to us. Worth noting which surprises some people that London has more rainfall days every year than Dublin.

I think snakes would surviver here no problem, no extreme cold in winter to worry about and plenty of prey items, mice / rats / frogs etc.

I would never keep a snake as a pet but I do find them fascinating creatures. Amazing how they have adapted to pretty much every environment possible.

It's not our climate that has kept us snake free! This is a nice article about why Ireland has no snakes:
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/scope/SCOPE4_show03_snakes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would rather not have snakes to be honest, would freak the crap out of me if I stood on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would rather not have snakes to be honest, would freak the crap out of me if I stood on one.

It wouldn't be good for the snake either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It wouldn't be good for the snake either.

Lol, I almost did stand on one in the south of France, scared the bejayus out off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why has this thread come Slitherin back? -5 points for Gryffindor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hissterical thread BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

topper75 wrote: »
    The Burren has a 'slow worm' - a poor man's version of a snake (legless lizard). It will have to do you for the meantime.
    It's been done already but I can't resist

Snakes on a plain \o/

Advertisement