Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac books vs Ordinary laptops

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I said I'd leave it but it's got the better of me...

I miss my Amiga 1200 with the 040 card and 4Mb of fast memory! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I said I'd leave it but it's got the better of me...

I miss my Amiga 1200 with the 040 card and 4Mb of fast memory! :D

Ahhhhhh.....Amigas. The best ever! They were so far ahead of PCs.........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

7upfree wrote: »
    A pro-Mac answer?

You don't know what a pro mac response is?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

firstmaccomputer-1984.png

Ahhh yes, how i (don't) miss the floppy shuffle

We used to have a IIfx in college with dual floppy slots. But only one of them had a drive behind it. Every so often we had to open it up and recover disks that had been dropped in the wrong slot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MacII.jpg I used to lust after a Amiga 4000 that used to be in beyond 2000 window on Catham street. Never got one though. it was some crazy price at the time. The closest I got was my friends Atari 520st. I didn't get a Mac till quite late. Think it was a LCII. We had SE and SE/30's in college though, never liked the tiny mono screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sinfonia wrote: »
    The Mac OS is not for everybody, but I love it. Also, you can use Windows on a Mac (even use both), but as far as I am aware, you cannot use Mac OS on a non-Apple computer.

This is untrue, can't tell you why though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

kowloon wrote: »
    You can, but Apple won't like it wink.png.
    The mods may not like it either
    BostonB wrote: »
    Hackintosh project would be interesting alright.
    ditto

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mad m wrote: »
    My Son has saved up money to buy a Mac Pro 13" with retina display. Getting it in states(ok daddy,me) is giving 200 euro towards it. Ive tried to talk him into getting something less pricey but he is having none of it...

Can someone in here advise otherwise? He wants to do a bit of gaming, but with the Intel HD4000 chip I said it wont be up to much! He likes the Os of Apple, his Uncle has an imac and is always on it.

You should look at the Samsung series 7 chronos. The price should be similar to the 13" retina, it may even be cheaper but I haven't checked prices. It's will be similar in spec to the 15" Macbook Pro. It won't have the same resolution as the retina but it's better than 1366x768 that comes standard in most laptops. I have one of the older generation ones and they're great. It's a nice looking laptop, with a great touchpad (something that was only ever decent at best on non Macbooks a few years ago). It's a 15.6" laptop but given it's small bezel it would be similar in size to a 14" laptop, same with weight.
    ZENER wrote: »
    I still have a MacBook Pro from early 2006 which apart from the battery is in perfect nick ! I doubt there's many Dells or Compaqs could say the same. Because it has SATA I was able to upgrade it to an SSD recently which improved it no end. Only selling it now because I need more horse power for video editing. In comparison to a lot of the low cost laptops on sale today it would rings around them spec-wise.

Ken

I bought a Dell Inspiron from about 2005 and it's still going grand. My sister is using it now and it still works fine. My brother bought one a few months after me and it is still working too.
    Sorry to keep commenting but this is pure perspective. There isn't a chance that even a top end machine from seven years ago is a match for current bottom end machines. Computing power doubles every 18 months to two years. We're somewhere between 8 and 16 times the power of 2006 machines.

What is fair to say is for purely market driven reasons macs hold their value. Chances are you probably will be able to sell a 2006 mac where as a 2006 PC would be in the bin.

It depends what you consider low spec current hardware. If you go with the extreme of an Intel atom or an AMD E2 Vision processor then a higher end Core 2 Duo based 2006 laptop would stack up well and would out perform them. The Atom and E2 Vision are shockingly crap processors performance wise and are mainly designed to be cheap and energy efficient. Compare it to an AMD A4 or a Intel Pentium and that would be a different story.

@OP - Get a good laptop whether it be a Macbook or a Windows based machine. People go out and buy a cheapo craptop for €400 and complain that it's slow and crap. This, in my opinion, is where Windows based laptops get their bad reputation. Also, in the past Apple MacBooks in general looked a lot better and had much better touchpads and battery life. Thankfully, Windows laptop manufacturers have upped their game.

mathepac wrote: »
    The mods may not like it either
    ditto

Double checked the charter, oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd also add from an Irish perspective Apple has been one of our most loyal multinationals. It currently employs over 3000 people in Cork and they're all pretty decent jobs too.

Unlike Dell etc , Apple actually wound up manufacturing and created a huge European operations HQ here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

ZENER wrote: »
    I still have a MacBook Pro from early 2006 which apart from the battery is in perfect nick ! I doubt there's many Dells or Compaqs could say the same. Because it has SATA I was able to upgrade it to an SSD recently which improved it no end. Only selling it now because I need more horse power for video editing. In comparison to a lot of the low cost laptops on sale today it would rings around them spec-wise.

Ken

Why don't you put more RAM in, upgrade the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

It's down to personal taste, and at the moment if talking about a new machine, it's Osx vs Windows 8. Try both and see what you think.
    As said above you also need to compare similar spec machines, and to get advice from people who preferably own both machines, rather than idiots babbling about Apple's profits etc.
    In the end it's down to the OS. Bear in mind that the mac will run windows either natively or virtually if you need to, whereas it's a pain in the ass trying the hackintosh route on a pc. I'm currently having a "play" with Win 8 on my macbook, not sure if I like it or hate it yet. :)
    For the last 10/12 years I have spent my "computing time" split approx. 50/50 on both platforms and usually owning two apple laptops and two windows laptops. At the moment, I use a dual boot Windows 7/ Xp setup at work and normally use a macbook pro for personal use. Over that period from the reliability viewpoint, I have had no major issues with any of the machines usually keeping each machine for approx. 3 years before upgrading.
    All I can say is given the option I would choose Osx every time. I know Apple charge a premium for the hardware, but that's life.
    Like I said it's just a personal preference, any half decent modern machine will get the job done.

It's down to personal taste, and at the moment if talking about a new machine, it's Osx vs Windows 8.

In before the Linux people start swinging their axes! :D

kowloon wrote: »
    In before the Linux people start swinging their axes! :D

I know, don't encourage them. Someone will be along with a pc built using only toilet roll holders and a cornflakes box running Ubuntu, total cost €23.98. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Apple make an absolute fortune off Mac books, that's what you pay for. You are not paying for build quality etc, I bet apple makes 50% profit on them are more.

They do look nice and I like MAC os but quite simply you are seriously overpaying when you buy a MAC book when you could get an equivalent build for a 400 or 500 less running windows

I know, don't encourage them. Someone will be along with a pc built using only toilet roll holders and a cornflakes box running Ubuntu, total cost €23.98. :D

'So, what do you actually use it for?'
    'Storing Cornflakes'

idiots babbling about Apple's profits etc.

theidiots wrote: »
    I bet apple makes 50% profit on them are more.

No offence m8, but given your user name, I guess I can see the future. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

http://store.apple.com/ie/configure/MD102B/A?

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

1550 euro

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0015s52&model_id=inspiron-15r-se-7520&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&

Included in your system:
    Windows 8 64bit, English
    3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM processor (up to 3.20 GHz, 6M cache)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere Elements 10
    2GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M
    1TB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3

869 euro.

If you're just comparing hardware you don't get it. Well not unless the hardware is needed for what you are doing, or need a 17"+ screen or better graphics Radeon HD 7970M etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Solair wrote: »
    I'd also add from an Irish perspective Apple has been one of our most loyal multinationals. It currently employs over 3000 people in Cork and they're all pretty decent jobs too.

Unlike Dell etc , Apple actually wound up manufacturing and created a huge European operations HQ here.

Dell still employ about 2,500 people here. HP employ over 4,000. Microsoft employ about 2,000. I wouldn't recommend anyone base their computer purchasing decisions on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'll tell you what the mods really don't like: insults.
    As said above you also need to compare similar spec machines, and to get advice from people who preferably own both machines, rather than idiots babbling about Apple's profits etc.
    No offence m8, but given your user name, I guess I can see the future. :D

Zimmerframe, please cop on to yourself.

I don't like where this thread is headed. This is why Mac vs PC threads are against charter. Not only are they pointless but they eventually turn nasty. The OP hasn't returned and I can understand why. Hopefully they got the answer they wanted because this thread is going nowhere.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement