Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocky is back on the pitch!

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it doesn't deserve a thread but I figure this might cheer a few people up.

Rocky Elsom has passed a medical at Toulon (failed one there in September) to join the squad immediately as injury cover.

Good to see him back playing and hopefully he has got over the injuries. He turned 30 this month so he could have a few years left in him. After failing a medical in Japan and then the subsequent one at Toulon five months ago I thought his career was done.

http://www.rctoulon.com/fr/news/arti...di-25-fevrier/

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Good stuff. I wish him the best. He played a big part in the success of 09 and helped lay the foundation for the subsequent period of domination. He'll always have a home at Leinster, even if I don't think I'd like to see him tog out for us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's great news, hopefully he can recover some of his 09 form.

Prey's that Leinster don't get Toulon in the HEC pool next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

P_1 wrote: »
    Prey's that Leinster don't get Toulon in the HEC pool next year :pac:

Reading the link it seems that he's only contracted to the end of the season at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Rocky! Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!

• Advertisement

Reading the link it seems that he's only contracted to the end of the season at best.

Ah so it's a Brad Thorne esque signing then?

P_1 wrote: »
    Ah so it's a Brad Thorne esque signing then?

Yes.

They have an academy product who's out long term plus Lobbe who ruptured his spleen. They said he'd be back just after the HEC QF.

Whatever about the length of the contract at RCT, you have to hope this is Elsom's chance to get a contract somewhere else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I think Rocky being able to prove his fitness is the main thing here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You have to think that if he gets through to the end of the season fit and in some shape of form that they'll keep him on. His annus mirabilis was something to watch, but he never hit the same heights when he returned home. Still, I have a lot of time for him as a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You have to think that if he gets through to the end of the season fit and in some shape of form that they'll keep him on. His annus mirabilis was something to watch, but he never hit the same heights when he returned home. Still, I have a lot of time for him as a player.

Ah at his peak he was excellent...one of those players you feared on the Aussie team...and then his phenomenal season for Leinster. It kind of reminds me of Jerry Collins - just seemed to hit a wall, and never recovered the same form. Maybe he can do that at Toulon.

• Advertisement

Swiwi wrote: »
    Ah at his peak he was excellent...one of those players you feared on the Aussie team...and then his phenomenal season for Leinster. It kind of reminds me of Jerry Collins - just seemed to hit a wall, and never recovered the same form. Maybe he can do that at Toulon.

Playing 18 months non-stop may have been a contributing factor.

2008 Super Rugby season, 2008 Tri-Nations, 2008-09 Northern Hemisphere season. He also played the final four games of the 2009 Tri-Nations.

Playing 18 months non-stop may have been a contributing factor.

2008 Super Rugby season, 2008 Tri-Nations, 2008-09 Northern Hemisphere season. He also played the final four games of the 2009 Tri-Nations.

Yeah, in hindsight that probably wasn't the smartest thing for him to have done

elsom_tete.jpg

http://www.rctoulon.com/en/news/article/rocky-elsom-signe/

When I posted the thread, I mistranslated the article. Rocky didn't have the medical at that stage. (passé in French means "attended/underwent" a medical rather than "passing" a medical).

But not to worry it's now confirmed. Rocky's medical went well and he is now part of the Toulon squad for the rest of this season.

Is it just me or does he look a bit smaller in weight than he used to be?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is it just me or does he look a bit smaller in weight than he used to be?

He probably slimmed down when struggling with injury over the last while.

A lot of players come back from injury lighter, although some bulk up while injured).

Rocky was registered in Toulon's Heineken Cup squad today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

tolosenc wrote: »
    Rocky! Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!

Adriaaaaan!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This is such a crisis of conscience. I want to support Rocky, but Toulon... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Ah sure at this stage everyone's in Toulon's extended squad. I'm on the books there now and you should expect to field calls from Mourad any minute

molloyjh wrote: »
    This is such a crisis of conscience. I want to support Rocky, but Toulon... :(

Just boo the TV when Delon gets the ball, I'm a Toulon fan and I boo Delon. :pac:

• Advertisement

Compo_RCT_Agen_1000.jpg

First appearance for Rocky since April 2012. In all likelihood this will be his only appearance for Toulon if the other backrowers stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

His face looks a lot leaner than when he was with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Didn't realise Simon Shaw was with Toulon these days. Have fond memories of him from the last Lions tour

Didn't realise Simon Shaw was with Toulon these days. Have fond memories of him from the last Lions tour

Been at Toulon since the World Cup, he's being let go at the end of the season but still wants to play on!

Been at Toulon since the World Cup, he's being let go at the end of the season but still wants to play on!

Hope he gets a contract, seems an all round nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster should sign him!

Leinster should sign him!

I second this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Shaw is older than me, He is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Jaysus that is one tall pack, seven of them are 6'4 or over. I'd say they are class in the line outs.

• Advertisement

If Rocky gets onto the pitch for the HEC final I will be torn!

Advertisement