Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal's yesteryears in photos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭donegal_man

sesswhat wrote: »
    This one is Hillmount Manse up past the Garda station on the New Line Road.

Thank you very much, must take a turn up that way the next time I'm in town (assuming it's still standing that is) :)
    I think this was Fox Hall, which used to be here.

Thank you very much as well. I'm going to guess that there's no sign of it any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Thank you very much, must take a turn up that way the next time I'm in town (assuming it's still standing that is) :)

Hillmount Manse - Take the postcard with you and I think you'll be surprised by how little has changed (apart from the trees).
    Thank you very much as well. I'm going to guess that there's no sign of it any more

Fox Hall was quite a big estate. Looking at aerial photos, many of the outbuildings seem to have survived, but the house has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fox Hall was quite a big estate. Looking at aerial photos, many of the outbuildings seem to have survived, but the house has gone.
    Was this mentioned in a thread from a couple/few years go? It rings a bell. Must have a snoop around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

muffler wrote: »
    Was this mentioned in a thread from a couple/few years go? It rings a bell. Must have a snoop around :)

Don't know muffler :)

It's probably best known now for the Glenswilly GAA ground, so maybe the name came up in relation to that?

Don't know muffler :)

It's probably best known now for the Glenswilly GAA ground, so maybe the name came up in relation to that?
    Possibly yeah. I recall someone discussing an old building/buildings somewhere in that general direction and linking to the old OSI map some time ago and thought it was the same place. Probably somewhere different alright as I couldnt find anything (other than posts here) when entering Fox Hall into the search box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

there is a page on facebook called 'think you're from killybegs?" which has loads of old photos on it - mostly concentrating on the people - but some from around the area which are 100+ years old. Page here I have to say that I think it's the best page on Facebook that I've come across; but then I'm from around there so i'd have more of an interest in the postings than most..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Similar for Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Joe 90

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hillmount Manse - Take the postcard with you and I think you'll be surprised by how little has changed (apart from the trees)
    Wasn't that the official residence of the Church of Ireland (or Presbyterian ?) Minister in Letterkenny?

Wasn't that the official residence of the Church of Ireland (or Presbyterian ?) Minister in Letterkenny?

Probably Presbyterian, CoI is usually referred to as a rectory.

Anyway here are a couple I took when I first moved to Letterkenny in 1988-1989. The Main Street has changed quite a bit since then and there is an apartment building where the church hall used to stand.

abqMcZ31.jpg?st=gtVJDpSallPoj6r-zyPHeQ&e=1366670721

adpjeN4w.jpg?st=hXx7CqokEhHY4snNrzTUAg&e=1366670921

• Advertisement

Probably Presbyterian, CoI is usually referred to as a rectory.

Anyway here are a couple I took when I first moved to Letterkenny in 1988-1989. The Main Street has changed quite a bit since then and there is an apartment building where the church hall used to stand.

abqMcZ31.jpg?st=gtVJDpSallPoj6r-zyPHeQ&e=1366670721

adpjeN4w.jpg?st=hXx7CqokEhHY4snNrzTUAg&e=1366670921
    For some reason or other those images dont display. Is it just me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were there last night, but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

They're up for me. Where was the Parochial Hall? I remember it when I see the image but just can't place where.

For some reason or other those images dont display. Is it just me?

Weirdly not showing on phone for me either. I'm on the road to Sligo atm, if the problem persists I'll repost 'em when I get back this evening.

Maldesu wrote: »
    They're up for me. Where was the Parochial Hall? I remember it when I see the image but just can't place where.

Where the apartment building is now, a couple of doors down from McCallion's jewellery.

Weirdly not showing on phone for me either. I'm on the road to Sligo atm, if the problem persists I'll repost 'em when I get back this evening.
    I normally use Firefox for browsing and there's nothing at all showing in it. I switched to Iternet Exporer and Im just getting 2 red X's

I normally use Firefox for browsing and there's nothing at all showing in it. I switched to Iternet Exporer and Im just getting 2 red X's

Showing in Firefox for me at home. But just in case no-one else can see 'em, they're attached to this post.

There used to be another hall on the Port Road - the Masonic Hall. Is is still there? It had the square and compass symbol over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

There used to be another hall on the Port Road - the Masonic Hall. Is is still there? It had the square and compass symbol over the door.

Yeah, the Freemason hall is still there. Got a paint job about 4 years back. I've never seen anyone go inside it though. I'd love to know when it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Maldesu wrote: »
    Yeah, the Freemason hall is still there. Got a paint job about 4 years back. I've never seen anyone go inside it though. I'd love to know when it was built.

You need to be taught the secret handshake and special nod before you can be trusted with that sort of knowledge :P

• Advertisement

Been a while since there was anything posted on here, so to relaunch the thread here's a pic I found of the British fleet in Rathmullan during WW1

5oth1i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Great picture. I've always thought that a painting of the Swilly with the fleet anchored in it would be awesome.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone have any pictured of Dunfanaghy before the harbour silted up? Or before New Lake was formed?

Untitled_1.jpg
    This one is Hillmount Manse up past the Garda station on the New Line Road.
    That house is featured as "House of the Week" in the Sunday Times property section today.

Request. I'd be very grateful if anyone has and would be willing to share photos of the following
    The old rectory that became Letterkenny UDC offices
    Joe Gallagher's ("Joe Bid") shop on the Lower Main Street
    Any old photos of Rossnakill in Fanad
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Request. I'd be very grateful if anyone has and would be willing to share photos of the following
    The old rectory that became Letterkenny UDC offices
    Joe Gallagher's ("Joe Bid") shop on the Lower Main Street
    Any old photos of Rossnakill in Fanad
    Thanks in advance

There's a Facebook page called 'Letterkenny Town' and the chap that runs it has quite a few pics uploaded, may be of help to you! And it may lead you to other pages of photos...

nazzy wrote: »
    There's a Facebook page called 'Letterkenny Town' and the chap that runs it has quite a few pics uploaded, may be of help to you! And it may lead you to other pages of photos...

Thanks for that. Have just signed up for a Facebook account so I'll take a look for that page.

Advertisement