Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Age Do you stop being a young person/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

When it starts to dribble when you've put it back in your pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

What age do you stop being a young person?

At 25: Quarter of a century (Some sense kicking in)
    At 30: settling down time
    At 35: Look back at what you've accomplished
    At 40: Milestone, it is actually a Brilliant start :)

You stop being a young person, when you feel you do. That's when you have doubts, have crazy thoughts of what if?

If I could turn back the clock to when I was 30 and have the happiness that I do now, but then all the experience's I've gone through probably wouldn't have made me who I am :)

I'm 40, and I can still dance and throw the best of shapes on a dance floor, regardless of what is predominant belief...and when I do dance like a mad thing, I feel 18 all over again. You stop being young when you allow people to tell you otherwise, because for whatever motive is going through their heads, may be a wee bit doubtful! sound! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

When you can't tolerate loud music anymore! :o

When you notice your parent's getting old; grey hair, wrinkles, weak shrivelled crinkly hands and fingers....... :( And realize time is moving on..... :/

There's that saying I can't remember it now about how grown-up x is looking or something like that, that all "old" people say, wish I could remember it now. :( But a lot say it and it usually means nothing to ya lol, ya don't get what's being said, until, you actually are older and realize exactly how fricking genuine and true the saying really is!

I'm yet waiting for the one though where you actually recognize a baby's face as another family member! I'm still waiting for that one! How in tha fork do ya recognize a baby's face as someone else?!?! Don't all babies look the same?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Stuff like not being able to tolerate loud music, becoming less interested in going out, finding wrinkles and grey hairs... all happen at different ages, including very young ones.

The person spoken about in the OP btw can think all they like that they're not young at 25, but believe me, they'll think it's extremely young in years to come.

It's all subjective/relevant to a point (40 is obviously young to a 60-year-old; 30 isn't young to an 18-year-old etc) but IMO, a person starts middle-age at 45. Elderly doesn't seem to start until one's 70s these days though - the 60-pluses are way less auld than they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

Madam_X wrote: »
    Stuff like not being able to tolerate loud music, becoming less interested in going out, finding wrinkles and grey hairs... all happen at different ages, including very young ones.

The person spoken about in the OP btw can think all they like that they're not young at 25, but believe me, they'll think it's extremely young in years to come.

When you start finding them in more than one place you are really in trouble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

40 is the end of it. All you've got to look forward to then is bitter regret and death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm 25 now and feel like 69

Dirty fecker ye. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

my sister, age 34, told my granny hat inside she still feels 25 and maybe it's time she should grow up a bit. my grandmother, age 94, and in a nursing home, replied "you think that's bad, I think I'm only 25 and I'm stuck in here with a load of auld ones"

age is only a state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'm in my 50's but I feel like a 20 year old.

Where will I get one this time of night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

When they are closing the lid on the box. Or having to put on your glasses to find your false teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shaz021_91

when you find your first grey hair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

When they are closing the lid on the box.
    Metaphor for menopause? :pac:
    Shaz021_91 wrote: »
    when you find your first grey hair!!
    That means I stopped being young at 17/18. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shaz021_91

That means I stopped being young at 17/18. :pac:[/QUOTE]

Yeah same for me actually. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

ablelocks wrote: »
    my sister, age 34, told my granny hat inside she still feels 25 and maybe it's time she should grow up a bit. my grandmother, age 94, and in a nursing home, replied "you think that's bad, I think I'm only 25 and I'm stuck in here with a load of auld ones"

age is only a state of mind.

I can scarcely imagine a worse thing than being stuck in a nursing home with your full mental faculties. Still fair play for being young at heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

It's at the precise moment when you spot a Marks and Spencer and think "Hmm, they sell nice Cardigans, I think I'll nip in and get one"

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

When you start shopping for pants that are comfortable. That's it. Game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

GastroBoy wrote: »
    When you start shopping for pants that are comfortable. That's it. Game over.

So you used to shop for uncomfortable pants :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Froggy123 wrote: »
    I'm 22 also!! Still feel like an 18 year old...a LOT smarter than i was then but know i still have a lot to learn;)

I'd say 35/40 is when you start to feel really old:D

Don't make me punch you.

Seriously though, like others have said, I'm in my thirties and don't feel old. I know people in their 20's who seem sooo old to me.

i think you're young when you
    a) still feel young &
    b) still think you have plenty to learn

You're old when you think you've learned all you need to know and look at anyone who's not in the same mindset as feckless youngsters or stupid contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

So you used to shop for uncomfortable pants :confused:

When you're young, you'll put up with uncomfortable for the sake of fashion.
    Also, elastic waistbands, an excellent sign of age!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When you realise going out on the piss isnt something you want to do every weekend and things like paying bills and planning for the future is important. Then again is that getting old or just maturing?!

I think it's possible to be sensible and young at heart. See, going out on the piss every weekend is being young. Being old is when you think why would i want to go out. I already know as many people I ever want to and it's financialy sensible to stay at home.
    Being sensible and young at heart is still going out occasionally. Or not to old to have a few pints on a week night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Madam_X wrote: »

It's all subjective/relevant to a point (40 is obviously young to a 60-year-old; 30 isn't young to an 18-year-old etc) but IMO, a person starts middle-age at 45. Elderly doesn't seem to start until one's 70s these days though - the 60-pluses are way less auld than they used to be.

Agree.
    When the 20th anniversary of the first album you ever got into comes around it's a bit of a punch to the (slightly oversized) gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's that age when you realise that actually you don't know everything. It's not a number, its a state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

hmm I dunno, I just turned 25 and it feels weird to think of myself as 25, I feel old in the way that I feel like I need to take better care of my skin and body now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

So far I've found (at 27 now) that it often depends on relationship status and career path.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You stop being young when you stop thinking "OMG, I'm 24 now, I'm so over the hill...."

:rolleyes:

I'm 38 now and I have my good days and bad but still feel better in many ways than I did when I was 26.
    I don't miss the huge insecurities that I had in my 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Katunga wrote: »
    What Age Do you stop being a young person

When you bend down to pick something up and suddenly realise that the groaning sound you hear is coming from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Can you put an age on it really? I mean by the time I was twenty people around me were dropping. Peers were dying, Some friends passed away. Other friends moved away, got married etc. I was out in the world On my own, rent, bills, responsibilities, work etc. My wild years were from the age of 13 to 21. By the time I was 21 I had been working full time lifting heavy materials for 7 years, new people I met were doing the things that I had done when I was fifteen. Drink, parties and other vices etc.

When we were 13, we'd look at a 19 year old and think they were old, when we were 19, we looked at 28 year olds and thought they were old, When we were 29 we looked at 55 year olds and thought that they were old, Now I'm in my mid thirties and I look at 80 year olds and I comment on how healthy they look for their age. Damn, they may live another 20 years and who knows how Long I have.

I thought having kids, mortgage etc showed that you were an old person. Then when you have the kids etc, you start to realise, the entertainment world is geared for young people in their late teens and twenties. The quiet pub with family and close friends is for you now. Then I think it is when you are now officially classed as old to those younger than you, who will soon be sitting in the same bar as you are now in a few small years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

As a 28 year old I think when you hit about 30 you cease to be young.

A lot of people have warped notions of what youth is. They actually think they are young because they are still "fun" and have a full social life.

How young you are is about how long since you were born, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

When you start buying nappies for yourself again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It absolutely depends on the person. My husband is 45 and he is still young. He seems much closer to my age (27) than his own age. He knows someone though who is 53 and as long as he has known him (about 13 years) he has been old.

Advertisement