Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out for the first time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It'll be grand OP.

Paying your own bills more than makes up for being able to sit nude in your own living room smoking spliffs and knitting a ceiling cosy with your feet.

You can also poo as loud as I want without being embarrassed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Fannyhead

phoenix999 wrote: »
    That's the sad thing. My dog is more house trained than him. He would probably die if he had to live on his own. He couldn't boil an egg if you asked him. I left home at 21, and have never looked back.
    I'm not that bad, I cook for myself a lot of the time, make my own bed (only takes 2 minutes) and I'm pretty clean as I hate living in a messy house. Haven't quite managed how to use a washing machine though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fannyhead wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but It's easy for people to say this. If I was earning more money I'd be out of here like a shot but the truth is my job ain't that secure at the moment as it's hugely inconsistent. I don't want to move out and be penniless after rent and bills and not able to go out and enjoy myself with friends on the weekend, life is too short for that.

Life is too short to live with your mam.

You are 24, you are wasting the best years of your life living at home. fcuk tip toeing in after a night out. There is nothing better then dancing naked in your own front room with a friend and playing music loudly then flopping into your own bed.

No child of mine will be allowed to waste those years.

Life is too short to live with your mam.

You are 24, you are wasting the best years of your life living at home. fcuk tip toeing in after a night out. There is nothing better then dancing naked in your own front room with a friend and playing music loudly then flopping into your own bed.

No child of mine will be allowed to waste those years.
    I don't share a bed with my mam.

I don't share a bed with my mam.

I never suggested you did :confused:, Fannyhead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Only In Ireland.

I moved out at 18 for college and got a job. Like the rest of the world

You poor scrounger. You'll starve to death in a week

Aren't you bloody great. Maybe Ive seen enough destruction over the last few years to never want a mortgage. Maybe I want to stay at home for the minute and save money in these uncertain times so that I can be financially secure and buy my own place in the future. Get off your high horse. And its not only an Irish thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Only In Ireland.

I moved out at 18 for college and got a job. Like the rest of the world

You poor scrounger. You'll starve to death in a week

Can't tell if this is a troll or not?

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

MrPoker wrote: »
    Aren't you bloody great. Maybe Ive seen enough destruction over the last few years to never want a mortgage. Maybe I want to stay at home for the minute and save money in these uncertain times so that I can be financially secure and buy my own place in the future. Get off your high horse. And its not only an Irish thing!

Well said, I know people in high paid jobs who still live with their parents. Its not that easy to save 50 grand or more for a deposit. Are you people that moved out at an early age ever going to get a mortgage or just rent for the rest of your lives?

I know a guy who was getting 40k a year and lived at home till he was 28 or so so he could save the money for a deposit.

Are you not paying toward your elderly parents costings? How long do you expect them to support you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I moved out when I was eighteen. When I was 27 my Mum died and my Dad more or less moved in with me, he worked away from home all his life but then it was me he came home to instead of my Mum.

I couldnt **** him out on the street now could I?

• Advertisement

Are you not paying toward your elderly parents costings? How long do you expect them to support you?

Some of us have parents that love us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

They don't support me. I support myself and contribute to the household by paying the bills every month and buy my own groceries and stuff. If anything I support them as my mother only works part-time and my father has struggled to find work in the recession. They would struggle financially if I wasn't here. Ive been employed with the same company for the past six years.

I am saving at the minute and my plan is to acquire some land and build on it at some stage but to be honest my job isnt fully secure either so at present it just suits me better to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So a mate of mine asked me at the weekend would I be interested in renting a house and getting another friend so there would be 3 of us sharing the rent and bills. Both of us still live at home (both mid 20s). I would like to move out but the thought terrifies me. I admit that my Mother does everything for me (washing, cooking, etc) and I know that's not ideal. I'm working every second week and in total my income would be around €1000 p/m. That's not a lot I know but hopefully I will be full time again soon if things pick up again.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I just wanted to get everyone else's stories of when they first moved out and how did they manage.

Since you didn't post this on Personal issues I can react with my initial thought and not sugar coat it. Stop being a pussy. Mid 20's, living at home and terrified to move out, take your mammys titty out of your mouth and move into the real world....

Its not a question of that, and I'm sorry but this attitude really bugs me. We are in a recession, college graduates can't get work.

Are they really going to move out of home on 144 euro a week while paying off college loans?

Depending on your location its not that easy to rent and why would people want to move away from friends and rarely see them just to rent accomadation and be constantly broke?

People are also staying at home to save for mortgages which you need a huge chunk of the loan and proof of been a good saver before they will even give it you.

Are trades people who actually want to better themselves and save money so they can actually go to Canada or Australia to find work instead of renting a house or apartment stupid or something? The only way they can save is by living at home.

If people cannot find someone to move in with so they just live with randomers?

If you are working and can afford to move in with friends then they usually do most of the time. However most people don't want to live with randomers and do not have the finance to rent their own place, hence they stay at home

I don't judge anyone still living at home and everyone has their own reasons for doing so. We are in a recession and people try to save as much money as possible as they don't know when their job could end. Heck I lost my job before and had to move back in with the parents for six months. I'm actually happy my parents will always be their to support me and have a place to go whenever I'm stuck. This nonsense about responsibility people spit is just bull crap.

Hmm rent my own place and blow my savings till I get a new job trying to save for a mortgage or live with the parents who have plenty of money and know I am trying to save for a mortgage and contribue to the household every week. Hmm not every parent is mean and usually parents try to help their children the best way they can. THERE IS NO SHAME IN IT

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Some of us have parents that love us.

Don't use that against them, it's not cool. They've had you long enough. stand on your own feet.

They don't support me. I support myself and contribute to the household by paying the bills every month and buy my own groceries and stuff. If anything I support them as my mother only works part-time and my father has struggled to find work in the recession. They would struggle financially if I wasn't here. Ive been employed with the same company for the past six years.

I am saving at the minute and my plan is to acquire some land and build on it at some stage but to be honest my job isnt fully secure either so at present it just suits me better to stay at home.

They'd probably do just fine if you weren't there.

Are we stuck with a generation of adults living with mam and dad? That is scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

*gets mammy to cook popcorn and follows thread

Ye deserve a medal guys for renting a place and not living with the parents. Do you want me to mail you one? I'll get it custom made. Maybe other people are the smart ones and yere the dumb dumbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate this talk of moving out like it's a competition of who did it the youngest and god forbid if you have it done it by x age like they did accompanied with a sharp tone of smugness.

Funnily enough all those people moved out when times were very good, money was good and jobs were plentiful. Times were piss easy in comparison to now.

Flash forward to now and young people really struggle to get moving in the first place.
    I'm 18, jobs are so scarce were I am at the moment, and whatever rare jobs there are going they don't want someone of my age and limited experience - which is kind of the crux of the problem if nobody will employ me to build more experience.

Currently I'm working a shite job for shite money and I'm breaking my balls by working hard doing it, but money is money and a job is a job.

Do you think I wouldn't rather one of those far better paid, and far less strenuous, jobs that seemed to grow on trees in the boom? Of course, but I just have to bite it and save up. It's very hard considering the work I get is still so inconsistent, very much so lately.

I've got college this year that seems to definitely be on the cards after a delay trying to get the funding to send me. I was the unlucky one to miss out as the rest of my siblings got to go, but things happened like my Dad getting very ill so that put an strain on things, along with the down turn, leaving only my Mom to pick up the slack and to support the rest of us. No grands and no aid of any kind.

So without me even being able to get the chance to help out and to take control of my future financially, because of how fecked everything was, the situation just got put on hold.

And now that I finally have the chance to ease the pressure financially and to save for college, I don't think I will be able to move out until I know that's sorted as it's most important to me.

By no means do I want to stay at home, I think I have far more important reasons to want to move on than most because of my own circumstances, yet I'll probably get judged by those who got all that sorted well before me when they were my age. They'll also think I'm contingent on my parents, lazy and incompetent.

I can cook, clean, and generally look out for myself very independently. The only thing I need is a decent break which is proving very hard to find. Until then, things are on hold unfairly, but that's how things turn out now.

So in a very long winded way, which length was subject to how irritated reading some posts made me, the people throwing down the condescending remarks and acting smug should really think of themsleves for a second and the situations many others find themselves in now.

Many of them weren't in such bad situations financially then as people are now, and if they were, opportunities were a dime in a douzen.
    So, if you're feeling superior for your apparent achievement of moving out at 17/18, and criticising others who haven't, then I'll tell you I don't hold much value for your attainment because it was piss easy then.

People who can manage that now with all the upheavals faced nowadays are the ones I'll give credit too.

well said, most people want to move out but its not possible for everyone.

These guys are acting like its easy to do and gradutes can't even get jobs these days and when they go on the dole how can they move out on 144 a week while paying off college loans. Those guys are clueless.

To actually take pride in moving out at say 18 is really quite sad. We are in a recession and people need to save money as things will only get worse. I lost my job and instead of renting my own place I moved back in with my parents for six months because I didn't want to blow part of my deposit for a mortgage.
    I guess this makes me sad in their eyes.

I think this sums them up

No one cares what age someone moves out at and to take pride in it is really quite sad and guess they don't have much going on in their lives. Hmm move out at 18 or go to college and get a degree. I think people would have more respect for people going to college now lads

Only adults still living at home give the above reasons and say such things.

Seriously. Who wants to go back to your Ma's place after a night out, besides you?

• Advertisement

Only adults still living at home give the above reasons and say such things.

Seriously. Who wants to go back to your Ma's place after a night out, besides you?

I'm not saying not to move out because it is a good thing to do, but its not financially viable for everyone. If I had a job near the parents house I'd probably live with them and save for my mortgage, but hey thats me and thats what a lot of people are doing.

Going back to the parents when hammered is not the worst thing in the world

Why are you so obsessed with having a mortgage?

Saving to get a deposit is a lame excuse. Look at the real reasons why you still live with your parents.

Also another thing that is really irratating me is families who lost their homes as they could not pay the mortgage had to move back in with their parents with their children so your attitude is really really bugging me.

theidiots wrote: »
    Also another thing that is really irratating me is families who lost their homes as they could not pay the mortgage had to move back in with their parents with their children so your attitude is really really bugging me.

Again obsessed with mortgage. Are you a family who lost their home and had to move back with mam?

Why are you so obsessed with having a mortgage?

Saving to get a deposit is a lame excuse. Look at the real reasons why you still live with your parents.

I don't still live with my parents. I rent my own place. In the last 7 years I lived with them for six months as I lost my job and didn't want to blow my savings.

Just this talk of you have to move out blah blah blah is bull. You try living on 144 euro a week on the dole for a graduate while paying off student loans unable to get work because of the recession and see how fast you would move out of the parents house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

So a mate of mine asked me at the weekend would I be interested in renting a house and getting another friend so there would be 3 of us sharing the rent and bills ..

just ensure no bills are in your name, that's the daunting part he asked so he takes responsibility for that?!! I only ever lived in (nice) hostels so cannot vouch for such apprehension

.. then move back home around 30. granted you've not met someone as there's a house to lay claim to!! seriously I'd be more concerned with moving out for the last time... we only grow younger, so seize that sense of adulthood while you still have it?? Could be a launchpad, me I'll be in daipers at this rate..

all the best.

Don't use that against them, it's not cool. They've had you long enough. stand on your own feet.

I moved out 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

Around €700-€750 for a 3 bed in my area so that would be €250 each p/m + bills. I drive and have a CU loan of €300 p/m but that will be paid off soon
    Don't listen to them fannyhead (never said that before in a serious sentence...)

You have shown that you are capable of paying off your own loans when it is over 30% of your salary, and that you are capable of maintaining a car on that salary.

You are clearly mature enough, or more than mature, for your age.

I don't blame you for being reluctant to move out when you're only on €250 per week approx.

Too many people feel that just because something was appropriate for them (any many of them were probbaly 20 during the Celtic Tiger Period) it should apply to everyone else.

I am of a generation which is called a celtic cub, and looking at the sense of entitlement of those who were actually mature during the celtic tiger and so could enjoy it, it is hard to take.
    Look at the real reasons why you still live with your parents.
    He already said it: he's on €1000 a month.

Wake up to the real world.

Thanks for the advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus OP, your parents were probably married and had children by the time they were your age, and there's you widdling yourself about washing your own socks.

Advertisement