Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access Server

Options
  • 17-02-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a simple Iomega Screenplay drive which is loaded with 2TB of music, videos, files and easily accessed around the house from several devices, works well.

I would like to get at these remotely (Drobox too slow & cumbersome in my opinion)

First, is this storage device too basic to do this properly? I'd get another (<€500?) and use the iomega backup if someone could recommend?

Whats the best website for hosting or setting up the access?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

no idea what an Iomega Screenplay is, or what it does, but you may want to look at PogoPlug. If the Screenplay is what it looks like on Google (a storage box) then plug it into the pogo plug and you are good to go. I have used the software version of it, and it works grand, and one of the lads in the office used the hardware version. he could stream video and music from his home to the office without too many issues... depends on the kind of bandwidth you have I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

lotas wrote: »
    no idea what an Iomega Screenplay is, or what it does, but you may want to look at PogoPlug. If the Screenplay is what it looks like on Google (a storage box) then plug it into the pogo plug and you are good to go. I have used the software version of it, and it works grand, and one of the lads in the office used the hardware version. he could stream video and music from his home to the office without too many issues... depends on the kind of bandwidth you have I suppose...
    So pogo plug will talk directly with 2TB storage device and remote access is via their website? Do you need to buy unlimited storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Pogoplug is basically a small home computer, the size of a plug.

The way it works is that you type in a url (ending in pogoplug, or your own ip address if you know it) that redirects to your pogoplug at home.

If you plug in more hard disks, you will have more drive space :) It has only 1 usb port though.

jaytobe wrote: »
    So pogo plug will talk directly with 2TB storage device and remote access is via their website? Do you need to buy unlimited storage?

If you want external backup storage, outside of the house, then the unlimited storage is handy, but its mainly the hardware you need...

Accessing the 2TB drive would be good enough. Did I read that it can take a few days to get the folder/files sync'd to get access?
    How quick is the access once you log in?

• Advertisement

Accessing the 2TB drive would be good enough. Did I read that it can take a few days to get the folder/files sync'd to get access?
    How quick is the access once you log in?

Never used it personally, but from reading about it, the sync is only if you are backing up stuff... if you need to backup 2TB of stuff to their service, and you have a 1Mb/s connection... well, its going to take a bit more than a few days (194 days if your 1Mb/s connection is fully used). I think they way PogoPlug works by sharing over your internet connection, and streaming to your remove device. There is no sync, as such...

Must be a cleaner way of straight access to a drive if I have a specific IP address?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Must be a cleaner way of straight access to a drive if I have a specific IP address?
    Depending on what ports it uses, you could just do some port forwarding on your router. Probably port 139 is the minimum you'd need to open (assuming it uses the samba protocol). Not a very good idea, since it wouldn't have any security, and anyone could access your files

Is it the Screenplay Pro HD? There's a wiki on customising it here. Specifically, you could set up an FTP server on it, see here and/or here. Then you forward to port 21 from your router, and access it as a standard FTP server. READ THE WARNINGS, YOU CAN WIPE OR BREAK YOUR DRIVE DOING THIS

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Thanks for info. It's the screenplay media director. I could try this once everything is backed up to another drive but can't risk it right now(just done in my 320Gb Seagate drive) so can't afford to lose anything else.

I got FileExplorer App for accessing the files on iPhone and iPad. Saw the drive in 20secs and I was reading all files straight away. Movies stream in 10secs. Great piece of stuff.

It seems to add an option of IP address location for a drive so if I port forward from screenplay do I need to set up FTP at all?

Advertisement