Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All time favourite comic books

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭

Just wondering what people's all time favourites are? I'll get the ball rolling by listing just some: Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Knightfall, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, The Walking Dead, Tales From The Crypt, Swamp Thing!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wondering what people's all time favourites are? I'll get the ball rolling by listing just some: Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Knightfall, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, The Walking Dead, Tales From The Crypt, Swamp Thing!

That's a mix of comic books and storylines though....probably best to ask what peoples favourite storylines are as it has more scope for discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's a mix of comic books and storylines though....probably best to ask what peoples favourite storylines are as it has more scope for discussion.

Either/Or. I'm here for a discussion not a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Kraven's Last Hunt
    Torment
    Captain America The New Deal
    Winter Soldier
    Extremis
    Coming Home
    Single Green Female
    Gentlemen's Agreement
    Red Son

Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 2 #14 is my favourite comic of all time though. Just beautiful

Thwip! wrote: »
    Kraven's Last Hunt
    Torment
    Captain America The New Deal
    Winter Soldier
    Extremis
    Coming Home
    Single Green Female
    Gentlemen's Agreement
    Red Son

Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 2 #14 is my favourite comic of all time though. Just beautiful

That's a nice selection. What happens in SSM Vol 2 #14? I'm intrigued! Haven't read much Marvel stuff since I was a child tbh.

Either/Or. I'm here for a discussion not a debate.

Hence my use of the word discussion...but you're not going to get that by asking people to list out their favourite books or stories.

A good idea to get some life into the forum could be a monthly comic discussion where someone picks a storyline and everyone reads it and discusses it (similar to the film one)...although there might not be enough users here to make it work.

• Advertisement

Hence my use of the word discussion...but you're not going to get that by asking people to list out their favourite books or stories.

A good idea to get some life into the forum could be a monthly comic discussion where someone picks a storyline and everyone reads it and discusses it (similar to the film one)...although there might not be enough users here to make it work.

The criteria here for starting a thread is getting more and more trivialised. Feel free to discuss what you wish how you see fit.

The criteria here for starting a thread is getting more and more trivialised. Feel free to discuss what you wish how you see fit.

Apologies if it comes across as me having a go at you...I an just trying to turn the thread into something which won't die out after a few posts.

That's a nice selection. What happens in SSM Vol 2 #14? I'm intrigued! Haven't read much Marvel stuff since I was a child tbh.

I was lucky enough to get my copy signed by Rivera himself. The man's a genius

I'm definitely up for that. Getting people to buy it though could be difficult seeing as we all have our allegiances :P

Actually there's a new storyline starting over in Daredevil this Wednesday if anyone's up for it?

Actually there's a new storyline starting over in Daredevil this Wednesday if anyone's up for it?

Yeah I'd be up for that...but as you said it could be an issue as everyone has their favourites...going with the 'classics' like The Dark Knight...The Phoenix saga...or *shudder* Watchmen could be an alternative. I also know people like Fysh prefer the less mainstream stuff, and I wouldn't mind broadening my horizons a little...as long as it could be easy enough to access. Maybe a poll to see what people prefer would be an idea?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking more along the lines of classic comics that are already out there, general discussion and stuff, particularly DC and Image comics

Hmmm i'm up for that so.... just a bit hesitant on picking what we would call classics as surely that shows we already have a coloured perception of that particular book?

But regardless I'ld nominate Jeff Smith's "Bone" or Peter David's opening run on "Spider-Man 2099" for discussion

Hmmm i'm up for that so.... just a bit hesitant on picking what we would call classics as surely that shows we already have a coloured perception of that particular book?

But regardless I'ld nominate Jeff Smith's "Bone" or Peter David's opening run on "Spider-Man 2099" for discussion

And I nominate The Walking Dead monthly discussion alongside Justice League and Hoax Hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

It's an online comic (and the only one I read) but 'Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet'

MomijiHime wrote: »
    It's an online comic (and the only one I read) but 'Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet'

I'll check it out.

I'll check it out.

Great! It's set in Australia in about the 1930's and it's a mystery/adventure/romance/comedy type comic.

Great! It's set in Australia in about the 1930's and it's a mystery/adventure/romance/comedy type comic.

Australia. Yay.

Australia. Yay.

You don't like Australia?

You don't like Australia?

Not particularly. I've never been but Home and Away and Neighbours says it all. The accent sounds like how a cheese grater to the brain might feel.

Not particularly. I've never been but Home and Away and Neighbours says it all. The accent sounds like how a cheese grater to the brain might feel.

I've never been either but the comic isn't very Australian-themed. It's set in the city that has an English feel to it.

• Advertisement

The only thing about using long running series like the walking dead..Bone, or 100 Bullets (which was my first idea)...is that we would have to take a single storyline, which people might not wanna do because they are full of spoilers...so that limits us to the opening arcs.

The only thing about using long running series like the walking dead..Bone, or 100 Bullets (which was my first idea)...is that we would have to take a single storyline, which people might not wanna do because they are full of spoilers...so that limits us to the opening arcs.

How about we just read whatever we like and see what happens from there! If you read something, just post it here as soon as it's read and we can discuss it!

How about we just read whatever we like and see what happens from there! If you read something, just post it here as soon as it's read and we can discuss it!

Yeah cool...just remember the spoilers :pac:

If anyone else is interested in trying to get a monthly discussion going stick up suggestions and we can work from them.

How many issues is David's Spider-man 2099 Thwip !?

If anyone else is interested in trying to get a monthly discussion going stick up suggestions and we can work from them.

Excellent! Well I started 'The New Deadwardians' by Vertigo last night! Very unusual, check it out! Going to start Volume one of Image's 'Revival' later, it looks awesome! Anyone read them yet?

No.

No.

O......k. That was vague...so...what have you read?

You're not gonna like the answer dude. 44 :P

We could do Spider-Man 2099 in May though as they are rereleasing the first TPB collecting 1-10

EDIT: Looks like twilightzone wont be joining us

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've posted a new thread with a poll for the suggested reading club here. It looks like, due to a campaign of sustained Muppetry With Intent To Troll, twilightzone will not be joining us, which is a bit of a shame since s/he seemed intent on stirring up some fresh discussion around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I'd be up for that...but as you said it could be an issue as everyone has their favourites...going with the 'classics' like The Dark Knight...The Phoenix saga...or *shudder* Watchmen could be an alternative. I also know people like Fysh prefer the less mainstream stuff, and I wouldn't mind broadening my horizons a little...as long as it could be easy enough to access. Maybe a poll to see what people prefer would be an idea?

Just read the Dark Phoenix saga recently and have to admit it was hard reading. Not because of the content but because how it was written. Guess it was the style back then to oevrexplain everything in every single issue and have everyone's thoughts appearing in every panel. (Slight exaggerations from me maybe)

I'm a fan of Green Lantern and X Factor and really enjoy a lot of their arcs.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

Just read the Dark Phoenix saga recently and have to admit it was hard reading. Not because of the content but because how it was written. Guess it was the style back then to oevrexplain everything in every single issue and have everyone's thoughts appearing in every panel. (Slight exaggerations from me maybe)

I'm a fan of Green Lantern and X Factor and really enjoy a lot of their arcs.

I first read The Phoenix saga back when I was only getting in to comics so there could be some rose tinted glasses on my end.

Am a big x-factor fan though...have enjoyed all the different takes from the original x-men to the government team to the current Marx team.

Advertisement