Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics Forum reading club

Options
  • 17-02-2013 3:06pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been suggested elsewhere that a comics reading club might be a fun way of mixing up what people read and getting a bit more discussion going on around here.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a monthly cycle: a randomly-selected poster chooses a comic and posts their selection, anyone taking part makes an effort to read it, and after a set reading window passes, we discuss it.

There will have to be a few rules:
    • Any chosen comic has to be currently available, either in print or via one of the online services. There's no point choosing something like Marvelman that will force people to resort to Naughty Sources or spending silly money on eBay.
    • Any chosen comic should be accessible to a new reader.
    • I'd lean towards a complete self-contained storyline where possible - anything between say 3 and 10 normal issues in length for serialised material, or a single book for OGNs.
    • Spoiler tags should be used at all times.

If you're interested and want to take part, vote in the poll. Obviously there's no obligation to participate in every discussion, but if the idea in general sounds appealing then make your voice heard.

Are you interested in taking part in a monthly Comics Forum reading club? 13 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    DracoSesudramayordenisCastorTroyhorgan_pLuvSpudzThwip!A NeuroticTheEscapistTurtyturdbooladenJayd0gFuzz McG 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

No
    Sounds like a great idea!

Would we need to use the spoiler tags if posting in a thread started with the specific purpose of discussing the material after the month given to read it has passed?

I can think of one or two stand alone titles to start such as Retrovirus (GN) from Image or Punk Rock Jesus (6 issue mini) from Vertigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No
    Thanks for starting this Fysh.

You pretty much have the format as I thought about it, only thing I would suggest is that since some writers work on a book for a year maybe extend the size to twelve issues.

Also agree with Jayd0g that as long as the thread title is properly titled spoilers shouldn't be needed.

I also think a lot of the major titles such as X-Men/Batman/Avengers/JLA have shifted focus to the TPB market so each arc is self contained and accessible to new readers.

Some suggestions:

Marvel Knights Spider-man.
    Marvels
    Rising Stars ( I know it's 24 issues but from memory it's divided into 3 blocks of eight)
    Batman Hush
    Maus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

No
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this Fysh.

You pretty much have the format as I thought about it, only thing I would suggest is that since some writers work on a book for a year maybe extend the size to twelve issues.

Also agree with Jayd0g that as long as the thread title is properly titled spoilers shouldn't be needed.

I also think a lot of the major titles such as X-Men/Batman/Avengers/JLA have shifted focus to the TPB market so each arc is self contained and accessible to new readers.

Some suggestions:

Marvel Knights Spider-man.
    Marvels
    Rising Stars ( I know it's 24 issues but from memory it's divided into 3 blocks of eight)
    Batman Hush
    Maus

I think the idea Fysh is leaning towards with regards to spoilers is that say, a few months down the line, someone joins the forum and wants to participate and decides to read through the thread. We'ld potentially spoil some books for them

Loving the idea and I too would nominate Marvels and Hush, easy enough to get for people who dont already have them.

Also:
    Red Son
    Shadow: The Fire of Creation
    She-Hulk: Single Green Female
    Daredevil Vol 1 (Mark Waid)
    Spider-Men

Was going to suggest Bone by Jeff Smith like I did in the other thread but that's probably too difficult for a lot of people to get a hold of outside of buying the huge complete book that doesnt bind well

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

No
    Thwip! wrote: »
    I think the idea Fysh is leaning towards with regards to spoilers is that say, a few months down the line, someone joins the forum and wants to participate and decides to read through the thread. We'ld potentially spoil some books for them

I've seen this done on another comics forum, where there's a sticky thread providiing details of the current title being read by the reading club and separate threads for the actual discussion of the book.

E.g:

Sticky: Reading Club
    Thread 1: Ongoing Discussion of what we read last month _book title_(spoilers!)
    Thread 2: Discussion of what we read the month previous_book title_( spoilers!)

No
    Yeah the need for Spoilers can be avoided by having a new thread for each book. Just an introduction to the book by the user who chooses it and a spoiler warning, then talk away. A sticky thread can be used to keep track on what has been read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

No
    This sounds great to me, would deffo be on for it!

No
    Let's get this going :D

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

No
    I'd be on for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No
    I voted anyway but just to say I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

No
    I lurk a lot on the site as a whole but this really interests me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

No
    I am up for this too, and am a big fan of conatined stories to chat about :)

No
    Any further plans on this?

No
    I think we have enough with 11 people so if you wanna pick the first book Thwip! go ahead and we can start 2moro ...and pm the details to everyone who was interested in taking part.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hey guys, sorry for being slow to get this rolling - looks like there's definitely enough interest to justify it so I say let's go.

To get things rolling, I'll second Turtyturd's nomination for Thwip! to choose a book and start a thread for it. I'll pin it as a sticky and lock it for a week, then once everyone's had time to read it I'll unlock it so we can start the discussion. If possible, link to legal sources (Amazon, Comixology etc) where people can buy it if they don't already own it.

No
    Ooh first choice....dammit now the pressure begins

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, the thread for the first book is here. I've changed my mind, I'm not going to bother with locking the thread initially - I figure it's easier to just say we'll let the discussion get going as people read it. I've stuck the thread and added a spoiler warning.

Right, I'm bringing back this thread briefly since I was nominated to pick the next title. I'm torn between Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth by Chris Ware and The Crow by James O'Barr.

One issue with The Crow is that there are several versions, featuring different degrees of extra pages and material, so that might get tricky as I don't know how much the extra material might change the reader's perception of the story. (Wikipedia claims there's only one, the Author's Edition, but I've seen at least 2 different trade collections that have different material, and my copy isn't the Author's Edition so I don't know whether I've seen any of the 60+ pages that O'Barr claims the Author's Edition would add...)

Equally, though, Jimmy Corrigan is a fairly challenging book in terms of the visual style adopted by Ware and the storytelling approaches he uses. I think it's a great demonstration of the versatility of the comics medium, but it does take a certain degree of committment and there's no guarantee of a reward. I figure it's probably still a better bet than Dan Clowes or Adrian Tomine given how much flak they get for doing comics where people sit around talking and nothing happens :P

If anyone has any preference one way or the other, make them known. Otherwise I'll just toss a coin and decide that way.

No
    I'ld vote Crow

Both great choices though

Advertisement