Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Bmw 520D Automatic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sandy67

Yes, I suppose. But which engine is better, The 177bhp ( LCA MODEL) Or the 163 bhp ( Older Model ) Or are they both troublesome ? Because I dont want to buy a car with tons of problems with the engine.

Is the Bmw Im looking at the N47 engine or the M47 because i believe its the lca model

Yes, I suppose. But which engine is better, The 177bhp ( LCA MODEL) Or the 163 bhp ( Older Model ) Or are they both troublesome ? Because I dont want to buy a car with tons of problems with the engine.

Is the Bmw Im looking at the N47 engine or the M47 because i believe its the lca model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I would go for pre-LCI (not LCA)

One of the above comments mentioned it has the LCI exterior but the pre-LCI gear shifter which means the M47 engine.

Yes Im still looking for the lca model just with the m47 engine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

OP are you really only doing 3,200 miles a year?

You dont need to get a diesel for driving 60 miles per week.

Get a petrol one if you want to change the motor, you'll most likely get a lower milage one for less compared to the same car in diesel version.

Yes I really am, Crazy right ? And I know people think its mad that im trading in such a low mileage car for a 90,000 mileage bmw. But I always loved the drive from a bmw but im wondering if i should get the lca model or the non lca model but i heard there is still an lca model thats only 163bhp ( m47 )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sandy67 wrote: »
    Yes I really am, Crazy right ? And I know people think its mad that im trading in such a low mileage car for a 90,000 mileage bmw. But I always loved the drive from a bmw but im wondering if i should get the lca model or the non lca model but i heard there is still an lca model thats only 163bhp ( m47 )
    If you like the drive of the BMW, why are you sticking with the Diesel, which you do not need and is going to cost you more? Why not get a 5-series petrol one for less money with lower mileage and with less potential problems in the future? 3,200 miles per year is not Diesel's territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The LCI (not LCA) model was sold for months with the old M47 engine. The N47 engine was introduced towards the end of 2007 when it also received a new automatic gearbox.

You can tell the difference by the gear shift:

M47:
    bmw_pictures_E83_In_Wahlh_PaMa_he.jpg

N47:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjZKnBuDbMMLGRNdQmwfd8pjzvZKWYJSw6UAnXFPOdlBDfDi0eIQ

The one the OP is looking at is a LCI model with the M47 engine.

So obviously the m47 has a better engine. But whats the downsides or things you should do to keep up with the m47 maintenance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It has already been discussed in this thread.

Yes but if i went with a n47 is that a big risk, Like are all of them prone to chain problems ?

Does that particular bmw from loc, Have swirlflaps because its an lca model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

3200 miles a year? 530i for you (and me :) )

Chances are you won't have problems for 5+ years at that mileage, if you keep it serviced (change oil every year even if you're not doing the miles)

I dont want another petrol because they are all guzzlers. I want a good bmw 520d automatic that wont be troublesome and im sure ill eventually find one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I dont want another petrol because they are all guzzlers. I want a good bmw 520d automatic that wont be troublesome and im sure ill eventually find one soon.

If you find one, don't forget to write and tell BMW. ...They haven't found one themselves yet... :)

You dont seem to be accepting the fact that the diesel will be a lot more troublesome, and that it will wipe out any mpg savings.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you find one, don't forget to write and tell BMW. ...They haven't found one themselves yet... :)

You dont seem to be accepting the fact that the diesel will be a lot more troublesome, and that it will wipe out any mpg savings.

How are the F10's performing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I have a 05 with 133000. Good car and pleasure to drive. The only issue I had was replacing the exhaust flexi. Don't worry about the mileage. I just did 2 runs from Donegal to Dublin and came back loving the car over again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just reading through this thread, surely the OP is just winding you all up?! WUM for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does that particular bmw from loc, Have swirlflaps because its an lca model.

What is an LCA model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Ardent wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread, surely the OP is just winding you all up?! WUM for sure.
    Agree with this, or he is just completely irreformable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Satanta wrote: »
    I have a 05 with 133000. Good car and pleasure to drive. The only issue I had was replacing the exhaust flexi. Don't worry about the mileage. I just did 2 runs from Donegal to Dublin and came back loving the car over again

That's good use for that car. Toddling around 3200 miles a year is the complete opposite.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭goochy

Hey replaced the merc yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

sandy you would be better off with a 08 petrol. Do you honestly only do 3200 miles per year? alternatively you could convert the merc to lpg... I take back what I said about the 087 petrol, just did a search on carzone from 08-09 and there is 1 petrol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I changed from an E240 to a BMW for the same reason OP. Unfortunately i listened to advice on how troublesome diesels are and bought a 520i. Sold it within the week. Bought a 523i. That went back to the dealer after about 3 weeks when they couldn't fix the oil leaks. He had a stack of them on the forecourt with the same issue. Bought a 535d and have had 3 years of very enjoyable, economical and trouble free motoring. It has 80k on it now and still runs perfectly.

In short, you'll get lots of advice on here about BMW's and Diesels being trouble. You'll also get lots of advice about your mileage being too low for diesel. If, like me, it's killing you everytime you go to the pump, go for the diesel and go for BMW. Just make sure whatever you buy has been well maintained and serviced and have it well checked over by a mechanic before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I changed from an E240 to a BMW for the same reason OP. Unfortunately i listened to advice on how troublesome diesels are and bought a 520i. Sold it within the week. Bought a 523i. That went back to the dealer after about 3 weeks when they couldn't fix the oil leaks. He had a stack of them on the forecourt with the same issue. Bought a 535d and have had 3 years of very enjoyable, economical and trouble free motoring. It has 80k on it now and still runs perfectly.
    why did you sell the 520i after a week? had the same bhp as the 523 and cheaper tax and only marginally less fuel efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why did you sell the 520i after a week? had the same bhp as the 523 and cheaper tax and only marginally less fuel efficient?

It was unbelievably thirsty. It was also SE spec and I was never going to be happy with it. Got what I paid for it and a little extra so I was happy enough.

Advertisement