Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Names for $1 (€0.75) for Valentine's Day [Media Temple]

Options
  • 14-02-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

For today only. Register a domain for $1

.com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .me, .name, .co

https://www.mediatemple.net/domains/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Very nice, just ordered and it went through perfectly and instantly. Thank you very much for posting this.

It also includes free privacy protection (people can't look up your personal info with a whois search), which usually involves a hefty premium with other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

don't forget, usually 1USD price is only for first 12months, after that mostly all those service providers will charge on regular price charging you credit card without any further notice, until you contact them. And again ususally the only way to contact them is to call on high rate phone numbers. so read terms and condition VERY CAREFULLY before spending that 1USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

andersat2 wrote: »
    don't forget, usually 1USD price is only for first 12months, after that mostly all those service providers will charge on regular price charging you credit card without any further notice, until you contact them. And again ususally the only way to contact them is to call on high rate phone numbers. so read terms and condition VERY CAREFULLY before spending that 1USD.
    checkout this site aswell,https://www.1and1.com/domain-names?linkOrigin=&linkId=hd.subnav.domainnameregistration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

antod wrote: »

NEVER EVER get a domain from 1and1 if you want a peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

NEVER EVER get a domain from 1and1 if you want a peace of mind
    Why not?? I'm with them for about three years with absolutely no issues which is more than I can say for my former (Irish) host. The one time I had to ring their tech support, for a problem that turned out to be not their fault, the phone was picked after about ten rings and I talked to a nice american lady!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

It asking for - State/Postal Code

00000 -not working

:(((

jpfahy wrote: »
    Why not?? I'm with them for about three years with absolutely no issues which is more than I can say for my former (Irish) host. The one time I had to ring their tech support, for a problem that turned out to be not their fault, the phone was picked after about ten rings and I talked to a nice american lady!!!

as a person dealing with dozens domain names at any given time, helping other people with their hosting and it related stuff, I cannot find another company that would operate on the same level of incompetence as them

from the top of my head - if you don't renew your domain (or don't have money on your cc/paypal when it's due) they start sending you threats about "unpaid service" and at the end of the day sell what you "owe" them to the debt collection agency

honestly, I don't know second company that would act in similar shady manner as them

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Atrides wrote: »
    It asking for - State/Postal Code

00000 -not working

:(((

Your county in the first box, and '-' in the second box worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

If our buy one of these domain names are you stuck to using the site (Media Temple) to create your website? Or can you buy the domain name and then create a website yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If our buy one of these domain names are you stuck to using the site (Media Temple) to create your website? Or can you buy the domain name and then create a website yourself?

You can just buy the name, and host somewhere else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You're only buying the domain...you are not buying hosting.

domain=buying the name ie: yourdomain.com
    hosting=the place your website will sit, (provided you want a website).

All you are doing is buying the domain for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

You're only buying the domain...you are not buying hosting.

domain=buying the name ie: yourdomain.com
    hosting=the place your website will sit, (provided you want a website).

All you are doing is buying the domain for a year.

Some of these cheap domain sites allow you to change your CNAME record via the admin page you get with your account (NameZero/dotster) - but some charge extra calling it Advanced functionality.
    If you can change your CName record - then you can host your site for free on sites.google.com
    Instructions to do it are all on the google site - you mostly have to use their GUI site builder tool to build the site - (there are other more advanced options available if you need them) - its free and you get lots of space and perfect for not too complex websites.

“Roll it back”

Oh - or you if you want to go the full hog - you can get a free small server on Amazon Cloud - Windows IIS or Apachie and point your domain to that.
    Its not powerful enough to run a game server now - but plenty good for a small website or dotnet, database applications etc.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ozmo wrote: »
    Some of these cheap domain sites allow you to change your CNAME record via the admin page you get with your account (NameZero/dotster) - but some charge extra calling it Advanced functionality.
    If you can change your CName record - then you can host your site for free on sites.google.com
    Instructions to do it are all on the google site - you mostly have to use their GUI site builder tool to build the site - (there are other more advanced options available if you need them) - its free and you get lots of space and perfect for not too complex websites.
    This section provides you with a summary of all of the records that are set up for your DNS zone. You are able to add new records (A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, TXT, or SRV) as well as modify the records associated with mail delivery. If you make a mistake, you may use the "Reset zone to default" button to revert your changes. Please remember that DNS changes in general can take up to 24-48 hours to fully propagate.

It's pretty good TBH, doesn't feel like a budget domain registration site. I grabbed three domains for the grand total of €2.22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I went with ENOM, no problems with them and they also do a dyndns service so you can add get your router to update your IP to your hostname.

e.g. mybox.mydomain.com

Think dyndns without the gammy domain names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

Thanks for that got my 2 domain names last night, just be warned though, got a call from the credit card company this morning to say that Media Temple had a also put my card through a further 9 times! Said there was no amount to it, but credit card company could not think why they would do that so I had to cancel my card just in case!

Bit odd, tbh, so maybe you might like to check?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ozmo wrote: »
    Oh - or you if you want to go the full hog - you can get a free small server on Amazon Cloud - Windows IIS or Apachie and point your domain to that.
    Its not powerful enough to run a game server now - but plenty good for a small website or dotnet, database applications etc.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/
    Attach a warning to that: it's only for 12 months, you have to provide a credit card, and they will start billing after that point (i.e. you don't have to renew at the 12 month mark)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

expired

28064212 wrote: »
    Attach a warning to that: it's only for 12 months, you have to provide a credit card, and they will start billing after that point (i.e. you don't have to renew at the 12 month mark)

oops - is that new - I think it might have been free forever when I signed up ages ago?

Anyway - Amazon looks allright to be free for 1 year only - but Google sites is still free forever and I have found great uses for it myself.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement