Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding approved for expansion of the Dublin Bikes scheme

Options
  • 12-02-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Funding approved for expansion of the Dublin Bikes scheme.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0212/367348-leo-varadkar-transport/

"There will be an extension to the Dublin Bikes scheme, from Heuston Station to the O2 and the Docklands."

Good news:), and will the addition of Heuston will be of benefit to some commuters.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking forward to seeing this roll out. Looking at the new station map, the stations seem to be all over the place. Ie. you will always be close to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Is the extension funded based on additional advertising hoardings, or does it appear that it is directly from the exchequer this time?

Also, does the extension plan differ from that previously announced last July?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0730/1224321087209.html

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

kceire wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this roll out. Looking at the new station map, the stations seem to be all over the place. Ie. you will always be close to one!

Got a link for the map of expanded stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

New station almost finished on Clonmel Street. Coming from St Stephen's Green it is the first street on the left off Harcourt Street.

While its great to have more choice there is a station very close on the north side of the Green. Also it could lead to more accidents given that cyclists will have to cycle across the Luas lines.

Anyway anyone else see any more stations being constructed in the capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

One on Strand Street. Dodgy enough spot but v close to O'Connell street.

http://goo.gl/maps/F92iA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    New station almost finished on Clonmel Street.

Anyway anyone else see any more stations being constructed in the capital?

I saw a stand being built on the north quays close to the Convention Centre on Saturday. Looked almost finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I saw a stand being built on the north quays close to the Convention Centre on Saturday. Looked almost finished.
    Passed this on Monday afternoon, looks like the concrete is all set. There's another one further down, closer to the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The works on the Lower Mount Street stand began this week. Digging is complete and it looks like first fix electrics are in. I can't wait until it's operational, makes for a 30-second walk to work instead of a 3-4 mins one from the current nearest stand (first world problem I know!), but what's better is that I can see if there's a bike there before heading out, rather than heading to Merrion Square and hoping one is there :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Looking at that map, I don't see any planned for the Clontarf/Howth direction. Was that ever planned or did I just imagine it?

monument wrote: »

Helpfully using red and green pins - not great for those who are colour blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lxflyer wrote: »

think-of-the-children.jpg

I've no idea what you are trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They really should have some closer to the canal on the northside. There is a stand at the canal near Portobello Bridge. But yet there isnt one for phisboro beside the canal. You have to walk to the one at the Mater which is about 6 mins away.

But it then allows the ignoring of traffic lights. Swings and roundabouts. :)

No need to be smart - I was just making an observation.

Red and green pins such as that can be difficult for many people to separate when they are beside one another as on that map.

I find it rather sad, but again not surprising, that yet again someone seems to think it more appropriate to make a derisory comment about something that quite a lot of people have a difficulty with.

But then none of your posts ever seem to think that things like that are important.

because I don't think they are, nor does every major transport body in the world, else all their route maps wouldn't have those colours, which they nearly all do. why should we constantly have to redesign everything to suit tiny proportions of the population? never mind that the pins are different shapes. Clearly the designers made them that colour for a reason and to criticise it blithely off the cuff is pointless unless you know the full reasoning behind it.
    No Pants wrote:
    But it then allows the ignoring of traffic lights. Swings and roundabouts.
    colour blindness doesn't prevent you from distinguishing top from bottom.

But if colour blind, are you able to see that one is lit and the others are not? Genuine question.

because I don't think they are, nor does every major transport body in the world, else all their route maps wouldn't have those colours, which they nearly all do. why should we constantly have to redesign everything to suit tiny proportions of the population? never mind that the pins are different shapes. Clearly the designers made them that colour for a reason and to criticise it blithely off the cuff is pointless unless you know the full reasoning behind it.

Sorry - true they are now different shapes.

I think that they were both pins before when I saw it first which made it very difficult to differentiate. There is a significant difference between pins adjacent to one another and lines that may not intersect.

Significant numbers of people (including myself) suffer colour blindness and I don't think it is something that should be made fun of, which you are clearly doing with that cartoon.

I find the attitude espoused in your posts pretty much constantly towards people with any form of disability or impairment rather sad to be quite honest. It must be great to have absolutely no physical/mental impairments and to be such a perfect physical specimen.

I suspect that were something to happen to you in later life, your attitude would change very rapidly.

• Advertisement

No Pants wrote: »
    But if colour blind, are you able to see that one is lit and the others are not? Genuine question.

I've never had that problem at all.

But green and red online sometimes is not that clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...why should we constantly have to redesign everything to suit tiny proportions of the population?...
    in European Caucasians is about 8% in men and about 0.4% in women and between 4% and 6.5% in men of Chinese and Japanese ethnicity

A designer should be aware of this. It would seem they've corrected this now on the site.

Anyways, apologies for dragging off-topic!

The good news is that the stations are being rolled out.

The locations seem a bit odd. But I assume they have analysed the busiest stations in their plans.

More can only be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SteM

beauf wrote: »
    The locations seem a bit odd. But I assume they have analysed the busiest stations in their plans.

More can only be better.

I thought so too. 6 along the northside of the Liffey between the Sean O'Casey and the Point would seem overkill to me.

I don't really understand those locations either. Unless it to service the offices/apartments in that area. Or the point/point village itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I completely understand the locations, the stations at Heuston and IFSC will be used by many commuters. The most westerly stations will bring Dublin Bikes to tourist sites like Guinness Storehouse, IMMA, and Kilmainham Jail. I can also see many staff and visitors of James's Hospital availing of the bikes. I assume the next expansions will beef up the Northside and Southside areas of the city.

Significant numbers of people (including myself) suffer colour blindness and I don't think it is something that should be made fun of, which you are clearly doing with that cartoon.
    I'm making fun of your attitude towards it. you seem to always take great delight in pointing out everyone or anything being wrong on this forum and regardless of the thread always take the oppertunity to do so when possible.
    It must be great to have absolutely no physical/mental impairments and to be such a perfect physical specimen.
    you'd know that how exactly?

I take it you're not going to address the point re design then?

I'm making fun of your attitude towards it. you seem to always take great delight in pointing out everyone or anything being wrong on this forum and regardless of the thread always take the oppertunity to do so when possible.

you'd know that how exactly?

I take it you're not going to address the point re design then?

I've already noted that the map is fine due to the fact that the symbols are different. My recollection of it originally was that they were not and that as such I couldn't differentiate the two colours.

As I posted above - I apologised for dragging it off topic and that as far as I am concerned is that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On-topic constructive posts only please.

Advertisement