Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking an Huawei E586 modem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Great post @CptSternn and thanks for all the info just wondering is the process the same for an o2 locked Huawei E5832 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have never tried it, but it works with the other similar models. Give it a go sure, see if it shows up in the software.

With that model you are not making any changes to the device so you can't really hurt it sure. You should be able to get the dump and have a butchers and see if you can find the code. It should look identical to the code in my example.

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have never tried it, but it works with the other similar models. Give it a go sure, see if it shows up in the software.

With that model you are not making any changes to the device so you can't really hurt it sure. You should be able to get the dump and have a butchers and see if you can find the code. It should look identical to the code in my example.

Got it working with the exact same method so another model to add the the list of working unlocks :) thanks for the help CptSternn

davehey79 wrote: »
    Got it working with the exact same method so another model to add the the list of working unlocks :) thanks for the help CptSternn

Got another one unlocked last night, same model same process. Code is about a quarter of the way up and happens to be near a random Letter P in both cases whether this is coincidence or not i do not know until i perhaps unlock another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

To unlock a E585 / E586 you will need a couple tools:

DC-Unlocker (https://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads)

PSAS/REVSkill (http://revskills.de/downloads/revskills.zip)

1. Install those two apps.

2. Put the new SIM in the device and hook it up to your computer.

3. Run PSAS

4. Click the tab labeled HARDWARE then select PORT UTILS then QC + AT Cmd and a new window will open.

5. Select the DIAGS tab then click SEND. Make sure your device is listed in the box.

6. On this same tab then select READ EFS FACTORY IMAGE from the dropdown box, click ALTERNATIVE METHOD and then click LETS GO and you will be prompted for a place to save the file and give it a name. Name it anything you want but save it as a text file (Ex. DUMP.TXT)

The app will then do it's magic and dump the factory firmware image in text format to the file. It can take like 10-15 minutes depending on your computer.

Now when that is done you have the unlock code you need, somewhere in that file. The next step is to retrieve the code. This takes a bit of time but I have done this a few times and can tell you it does work.

I followed your instructions but my device isn't listed in the DIAG tab so when I click send it can't find any information, any idea what I am doing wrong?

And in your second unlocking post that link for universal master code isn't working for me but I found a 2013 version of it but it doesn't seem to work, I've tried 3 different modems and for each one it's given me an incorrect unlocking code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cavanman

Having the same issue here @ahnowbrowncow.

Did you ever figure out why your device was not listed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So what was the outcome in the small claims court RangeR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Small claims rejected the claim. They stated that it was a contractual issue. I disagreed. Although I had a 12 month data contract with Three, I also purchased a 3G WIFI modem from them. That modem is, in effect, useless now. SCC didn't want to know. NCA didn't want to know. COMREG didn't want to know.

All that was left to me was to take civil action through the courts. I'd rather not do Business with Three ever again than waste any more time on it. I've already moved all family and close friends away from Three. Over the past 16 months, I'd conservatively put it at about €3000 that I've personally stopped Three from getting. It would have taken someone in Three 30 minutes in getting me an unlock code. **** them.

I stopped buying phones at the mobile shops years ago. I got a new Nexus 5 which has higher specs than the iPhone S5 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Bought it directly from Google online for €399. None of the shops in Ireland have it available. 3 does have it to order, but they want €799 for it and it's locked to their network PLUS you have to sign a 2 year €40 a month contract.

Yeah, the mobile operators in this country are taking the piss when it comes to buying mobile devices. Buy your phone/tablet/MIFI device direct from the manufacture these days for less than half the price, no locking, and stick with your PAYG plan sure.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en

The mobile operators are not only marking up the price by 100% on many of these new phones, they force you to sign a 24 month contract to get rates which suck. I spend €20 a month on my PAYG and it has free data and texting. Who needs to pay more for a new phone and plan that you would for a car?

I stopped buying phones at the mobile shops years ago. I got a new Nexus 5 which has higher specs than the iPhone S5 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Bought it directly from Google online for €399. None of the shops in Ireland have it available. 3 does have it to order, but they want €799 for it and it's locked to their network PLUS you have to sign a 2 year €40 a month contract.

Yeah, the mobile operators in this country are taking the piss when it comes to buying mobile devices. Buy your phone/tablet/MIFI device direct from the manufacture these days for less than half the price, no locking, and stick with your PAYG plan sure.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en

The mobile operators are not only marking up the price by 100% on many of these new phones, they force you to sign a 24 month contract to get rates which suck. I spend €20 a month on my PAYG and it has free data and texting. Who needs to pay more for a new phone and plan that you would for a car?

I don't like buying devices from networks either but your pricing claims are outrageous.

You are mixing 3 pre and post pay. On pre pay it's €799 with no contract Yes it's a ridiculous amount of money for a network locked phone but it is comparable to the actual full priced.

3 postpay for the same iPhone 5S 32GB starts at €669 for a 12 month contract to €229 for a 24 month contract [different tariff]

I'd also like to see at least one example of a network in Ireland marking a 100% increase on phone prices. I've never see it happen.

Anyway, I agree to purchase devices off network but we are going way off topic.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    I don't like buying devices from networks either but your pricing claims are outrageous.

You are mixing 3 pre and post pay. On pre pay it's €799 with no contract Yes it's a ridiculous amount of money for a network locked phone but it is comparable to the actual full priced.

3 postpay for the same iPhone 5S 32GB starts at €669 for a 12 month contract to €229 for a 24 month contract [different tariff]

I'd also like to see at least one example of a network in Ireland marking a 100% increase on phone prices. I've never see it happen.

Anyway, I agree to purchase devices off network but we are going way off topic.

Think about it...

You buy the phone outright with no 3 contract for €799 (which is over twice what you pay buying it direct from Google), thats double the cost of the phone AND its locked to 3s network.

You plan on using it on 3s network? Why else would you buy it? Ask what plans they have that offer data. Guess what? Same plan you get if you bought the phone and got the 24 month contract.

I went there got the literature and calculated it all out. Buying it outright costs you over double and then you still have to get the same plan. Unless you are just buying it for calls, but sure, why would you want a phone like that without a data package?

The Nexus 5 is only €439 on Three. Unless you are saying that the iPhone 5S 32GB is available direct from Google?

I'm not too sure you have the right facts?

RangeR wrote: »
    The Nexus 5 is only €439 on Three. Unless you are saying that the iPhone 5S 32GB is available direct from Google?

I'm not too sure you have the right facts?

The phone IF you sign a €40 a month contract for 24 months is €439.

If you buy it outright it is €799, BUT then you have a 3 locked Nexus 5 and you have to have a 3 plan for that phone. Guess which one you will need? The only decent plan with data they offer is the €40 a month plan as nothing else will meet the needs unless you are just going to use it as a phone.

The phone IF you sign a €40 a month contract for 24 months is €439.

If you buy it outright it is €799, BUT then you have a 3 locked Nexus 5 and you have to have a 3 plan for that phone. Guess which one you will need? The only decent plan with data they offer is the €40 a month plan as nothing else will meet the needs unless you are just going to use it as a phone.

No. It's €439 outright, on prepay. On Billpay, the most you will pay is €349 and that's on the lowest tariff for 12 months.

Can you provide a link as to where the Nexus 5 is €799 on Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

To unlock a E585 / E586 you will need a couple tools:

DC-Unlocker (https://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads)

PSAS/REVSkill (http://revskills.de/downloads/revskills.zip)

1. Install those two apps.

2. Put the new SIM in the device and hook it up to your computer.

3. Run PSAS

4. Click the tab labeled HARDWARE then select PORT UTILS then QC + AT Cmd and a new window will open.

5. Select the DIAGS tab then click SEND. Make sure your device is listed in the box.

6. On this same tab then select READ EFS FACTORY IMAGE from the dropdown box, click ALTERNATIVE METHOD and then click LETS GO and you will be prompted for a place to save the file and give it a name. Name it anything you want but save it as a text file (Ex. DUMP.TXT)

The app will then do it's magic and dump the factory firmware image in text format to the file. It can take like 10-15 minutes depending on your computer.

Now when that is done you have the unlock code you need, somewhere in that file. The next step is to retrieve the code. This takes a bit of time but I have done this a few times and can tell you it does work.

Open the file you dumped with Notepad. Don't use any fancy text editors like Notepad++ as they will read in all the extra control characters which will cause this step to take even longer.

You need to find an eight digit code to unlock the device. To find it do a SEARCH for 55000 or 255000

It will look like this when you find it:

exa1.jpg

It's usually near the bottom of the file.

This is the unlock code for your device!

To use it do this:

1. Open a web browser and type in this address: http://192.168.1.1

2. Click ADVANCED SETTINGS then SIM SETTINGS then UNLOCK DEVICE.

3. Enter the Unlock Code you got from the text file above and click APPLY.

DONE!

Now open DC-UNLOCKER and it should read your device and confirm that your device has been unlocked -

6o1w.jpg

That's it! The only tricky part is searching for the code, but you will know it when you find it sure.

Gonna give this unlock method a try this weekend with an O2 Huawei E586!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tincho

Just a small note to say that I have just managed to unlock my E586 from O2 without using any software.

I obtained the code from huaweicodecalculator.com/new-algo (they give you up to 5 codes for free per account, you need to log in with a google account). And then used the modem's web interface to input the code. Done!

Even better, this page generates all codes with no need for any registration: bb5.at/huawei.php

And a lot of useful information here: techmind.org/3Gmbb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I'm planning on bringing one of these to Tenerife, must get it unlocked. Do I need to have a local Spanish sim when unlocking or once it's unlocked are all networks unlocked?

Thanks In advance.

No, the unlocking is for all networks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Can I access the web interface with wrong sim inserted?

• Advertisement

It should work, yes.

Advertisement