Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi site Clonsilla road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ozmo wrote: »
    Of the list of people in that notice - just wondering - is it an error that Aldi be listed as Appellant (objecting) or some other reason?

Aldi Stores (Ireland) Limited (Applicant)
    Aldi Stores (Ireland) Limited (Appellant) (Active)

No, what that means is Fingal County Council refused planning permission to the applicant, Aldi or else significantly modified the terms of the planning application. And now Aldi are appealing to An Bord Pleanala to get the council decision overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

'Construction of a mixed use residential and retail including foodstore, off-licence, creche and 20 houses with all associated site works.'

Would Aldi own all of the above units? When it says Off Licence, is this referring to Aldi selling Alcohol in store or a separate off licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Off sales like other supermarkets, but they are still require to get a pub licence

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

ongarboy wrote: »
    No, what that means is Fingal County Council refused planning permission to the applicant, Aldi or else significantly modified the terms of the planning application. And now Aldi are appealing to An Bord Pleanala to get the council decision overturned.

Now check your facts first!
    Fingal Co Co give planning permission a few weeks back. Only a few conditions attached, may be one of those that they are appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Now check your facts first!
    Fingal Co Co give planning permission a few weeks back. Only a few conditions attached, may be one of those that they are appealing.

I didn't read the decision. I was just explaining why an applicant can also be an appellant. I did say that modifications (or conditions) to original application would be a reason why an applicant would appeal to An Bord Pleanala and also therefore be an appellant. Per your update above, it has to be one of the conditions they are appealing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

ongarboy wrote: »
    I didn't read the decision. I was just explaining why an applicant can also be an appellant. I did say that modifications (or conditions) to original application would be a reason why an applicant would appeal to An Bord Pleanala and also therefore be an appellant. Per your update above, it has to be one of the conditions they are appealing. :)

:-) Fair enough.
    Wonder exactly what decision(s) they are appealing.

Wish it would go ahead at this stage. The draft development plans submitted for the adjoining site look promising.....looks like there are plans for a few small retail units.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Maybe they're appealing on not getting their large sign? :-)

Good guess ! - The documents are up now
    - some very strong objections from some of the locals - mostly about how its not in keeping with what Fingal had planned for the area and the narrow and busy access road.

and

Aldi want their sign back, saying its a commercial area.
    Want to open earlier and until later
    Not happy with the size of fine applied for leaving under the limit of green space.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone got any news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Namer

Refused by An Bord Pleannala, pleanala.ie/casenum/245446.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:eek:

Really? When? ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wow I'm surprised at that, a shame I think

Here's the report, 40 pages if you fancy a read through
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/245/R245446.pdf

From my skim over it the traffic it would create, historic refusals of planning permission, lack of outdoor amenities to the new residents, disorderly development of this "important site" for existing residents all combined led to a refusal of permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I suspect "the lack of outdoor amenities to the new residents, disorderly development of this "important site" for existing residents all combined led to a refusal of permission."

Was coming from fingal as it didn't fit their overall vision for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I was in two minds about this but I am happy that it has been rejected. The main reason the increased traffic into Clonsilla village. Anyone who regularly uses the road running parallel to the train station beside Portersgate knows that you take your life into your hands every time you approach the cross roads when the gates are down. You will always nearly miss some impatient absolute f*cktard who think it's ok to pull out onto the oncoming lane and drive up along the stationary traffic with absolutely no sight of whats coming around the corner. If this got the go ahead I would imagine that this would only increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was in two minds about this but I am happy that it has been rejected. .

Ditto.

I'm sure Aldi can find another suitable site in the area if they want. The ones in Mulhaddart and Clonee aren't too far to travel to anyway.

I really really wanted it there - about 2 minutes drive for me. 6 minutes walk.

I figured it would be built well off the road with good parking and imo wouldn't affect the traffic too much ( I could be wrong off course!!)

Any chance of an appeal / reprieve??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How many times have they applied for planning permission there now? I think they have to accept that it's not worth appealing as it's just not going to happen. Personally I'm glad because I believe the traffic would be a complete nightmare if it was given the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Cant see how Aldi and associated apartments would be much worse than an alternate development of 150 housing units.
    Say 200 cars all hitting the road at peak time of 8-9am and 5-6pm along with the train crossing delays.

The site will be developed in some capacity so extra traffic in the area is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I was in two minds about this but I am happy that it has been rejected. The main reason the increased traffic into Clonsilla village. Anyone who regularly uses the road running parallel to the train station beside Portersgate knows that you take your life into your hands every time you approach the cross roads when the gates are down. You will always nearly miss some impatient absolute f*cktard who think it's ok to pull out onto the oncoming lane and drive up along the stationary traffic with absolutely no sight of whats coming around the corner. If this got the go ahead I would imagine that this would only increase.

I live in portersgate and the junction with the level crossing is a disaster. As you say, idiots shoot up the wrong lane all the time and its a completely blind corner with the house and hedge. Nearly got hit going to the gym the other morning. Its a daily occurrence. Putting a supermarket on that road could be a disaster. That junctions needs sorting somehow. Very hard to know what they could do.

I live in portersgate and the junction with the level crossing is a disaster. As you say, idiots shoot up the wrong lane all the time and its a completely blind corner with the house and hedge. Nearly got hit going to the gym the other morning. Its a daily occurrence. Putting a supermarket on that road could be a disaster. That junctions needs sorting somehow. Very hard to know what they could do.

When traffic was two way behind the little house it was better. Don't know why they changed that.

amdublin wrote: »
    I figured it would be built well off the road

Not what they applied for though... they said they wouldn't get enough footfall if they didn't take up the front of the site.

Fingals plan for the site is much much better with a new Village of shops - Traffic is an issue - but failing to meet this plan is the most sited reason in the report for the refusal.
    Hope someone listens and gives the community the new village centre the area needs and not something more suited to an industrial estate.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

When traffic was two way behind the little house it was better. Don't know why they changed that.

They used to do that? Makes total sense. Often wondered could they turn it into a one way / roundabout but figured it was because of the house in the middle

I see that the old VideoRentalShop/Old Estate Agent/Old FlowerShop/Old Motor shop...
    the one that's now empty beside the Spar - has recently got their planning permission sorted to be a coffee shop..

It seems like the local Indian Restaurant objected to it being yet another take away - so the shop are planning to allow for a larger sit down area to encourage people to stay.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/246/R246045.pdf

Sounds great - hope it works out well for them.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I really really wanted it there - about 2 minutes drive for me. 6 minutes walk.

Out of interest, do you drive really slowly, or walk really fast?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I note there was a 'for sale by tender' sign at this site today. From the aerial shot,  I can't quite tell if this site is part of the Aldi owned land or is simply adjacent to it, the original Aldi plans stated 1.46 acres vs the 0.77 thats stated in the ad:

https://www.lisney.com/commercial-properties/development-land-property-in-exceptional-development-site-077-ha-19-acres-at-clonsilla-road-dublin-15/24312

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

That’s the plot of land next to the Aldi site. It was a garage and a work yard for years. If Aldi snap that up I could see their plans going through as they would have the land to lower the height of the properties they wanted to build on the current plot.

Aldi have applied for planning again, (July 2019), for the Clonsilla Village site - (beside the White Church - opposite Castlefield Estate)

I don't see any maps yet - so I dont know how they addressed the entrance issues and I'm not sure what changes there is over 2015 application, but it all seems very similar.

Below is the text -

Planning Reference: FW19A/0112
    Date of Application: 01-Jul-2019

Full Development Description

The development includes the construction of a mixed use residential and retail scheme comprising:
    1) Construction of 2 storey commercial block fronting Weavers Row, incorporating a foodstore measuring 1,790 sq m gross (1,315 sq m net), with ancillary off-licence sales area, at ground level including an external service area;
    a crèche totalling 599 sq m at ground and first floor;

2) associated signage consisting of 2 internally illuminated fascia signs (5.11 sq m and 5.11 sq m),
    1 none illuminated fascia sign 1.83 sq m,
    1 no. double sided internally illuminated pole sign to include opening hours with a total area (front and back) of 10.22 sq m and 3.34 sq m;
    2 no. poster frame, double sided signs at external trolley bay (3.45 sq m each);
    2 back lit crèche fascia signs of 5.52 sq and 5.44 sq m;

3) Construction of 32 no. dwellings comprising
    19 no. apartments
    (Block 1: 4 storeys contained 3 no. 1 bed units, 8 no. 2 bed units, 2 no. 3 bed units; Block 2: 2 storey containing 2 no. 2 bed units and 1 no. 2 bed duplex unit;
    Block 3: 2 storey containing 2 no. 2 bed units and 1 no. 2 bed duplex unit);
    and 13 no. 3 bed houses, all 3 storey;

4) 154 no. surface car parking spaces, 97 to serve the commercial block and 57 to serve the houses;
    5) 44 no. cycle spaces;
    6) Revised vehicular access off Weavers Row;
    7) All landscape, boundary treatment and site development works.

There are at least one other thread on this going back 10 years - linking here for reference .
    2010 Thread (Closed)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They used to do that? Makes total sense. Often wondered could they turn it into a one way / roundabout but figured it was because of the house in the middle

I see that house now has a For Sale sign posted outside from Sherry Fitz but don't yet see it on the usual websites including their own.
    It's a nice looking house and grounds are well kept so would be a shame to see it go but wonder would the council purchase it and then be in a position to do something with that junction. With the long and distant plan of electrifying the Maynooth line trains would be hopefully more frequent leading to the manned uneven crossing nearly forever being closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

I see that house now has a For Sale sign posted outside from Sherry Fitz but don't yet see it on the usual websites including their own.
    It's a nice looking house and grounds are well kept so would be a shame to see it go but wonder would the council purchase it and then be in a position to do something with that junction. With the long and distant plan of electrifying the Maynooth line trains would be hopefully more frequent leading to the manned uneven crossing nearly forever being closed.

I think that's a listed building so probably not much that can be done with it.

I see the Lidl site on the Ongar Link road just up from the Aldi site was granted permission yesterday subject to 27 conditions. Don't know if that could have an impact on the Aldi site being in such proximity. It didn't in Clonee, but that's Meath CoCo not Fingal CoCo, could have different town plan/strategies or ways of working. Lidl application is FW19A/0009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fcuking ridiculous. Whoever is responsible for granting planning permission for that site should be thrown off the council. It's bad enough that Lidl have permission for their store, but to have two supermarkets and a load of apartments on that road? It'll be permanent gridlock. The train station will effectively be out of bounds for people coming from the Clonsilla side.

Advertisement