Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a good box set

Options
  • 05-02-2013 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

hi, just looking for suggestions on a good box set to buy for my long boring train journeys lol to let you know what kinda stuff im into ill say that my 3 favourite shows are entourage, curb your enthusiasm and peep show, so something maybe similar to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I like those three TV Series's (if that's any help?) so maybe try Modern Family and Breaking Bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The Wire, The Sopranos, Oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I like those three TV Series's (if that's any help?) so maybe try Modern Family and Breaking Bad?

dont like modern family or breaking bad, find breaking bad too gritty, more into comedies.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The Wire, The Sopranos, Oz

really want to see the wire, heard its one of the best shows ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you like curb your enthusiasm, try seinfeld. It's absolute genius in places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

the elephant in the room, that is Arrested Development? New series starting this year I think too, so definitely worth a catch up on, ahead of that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Late to the party with The Wire myself. Just finished the first series and it's good, very good, but not the be all and end all that people make it out to be. However, I've heard that the second series is where it comes into it's own.

Overall it's nothing short of amazing (i found the politics section a bit tedious in places) But if you find breaking bad too gritty, i don't know if it would be your cup of tea. I'd say the wire is probably the best show i've ever watched, sopranos is up there too.
    If you want a slightly different take on the whole good guys versus bad guys theme, you could try Angel - that's well worth a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Game of Thrones... nuff said

someone recommended californication?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

someone recommended californication?

The first 3/4 seasons are really strong, it has dipped lately but still decent.

Try Eastbound & Down, Louie, Blue Mountain State, The League, Arrested Development and Workaholics for a bit of comedy.

Game of Thrones for general awesomeness.

The Wire is excellent so you should defo check that out. Some others that spring to mind are The Shield, OZ, Homicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eastbound & Down is awesome. My favourite comedy of the last five or six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Late to the party with The Wire myself. Just finished the first series and it's good, very good, but not the be all and end all that people make it out to be. However, I've heard that the second series is where it comes into it's own.

When you finish season 5 & look at it overall, you'll see the be all & end all + why it's on its own :D

However you mightn't like the second series the first time you watch it, it was my least favourite watching it the first time, at lot of people feel that way about season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

The Wire is the best TV show (bar none) I have ever seen but did not mention it because you mentioned three comedy shows. The Wire is very drawn out and has more characters than any other show I have ever seen and sometimes feels as if nowt happens but really I cannot recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Californication, How to make it in America, Weeds, Party Down, Seinfeld are shows I'd recommend that are similar.

irish son wrote: »
    Californication, How to make it in America, Weeds, Party Down, Seinfeld are shows I'd recommend that are similar.

had forgotten about how to make it in america, saw the very 1st episode and thought it looked good.entourage before the fame?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I don't think the Wire would suit a train journey. Oz may suit it a bit more but you would be right in sticking with comedies for a train journey.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I don't think the Wire would suit a train journey. Oz may suit it a bit more but you would be right in sticking with comedies for a train journey.

lol ya thats true about comedies for the train journey, really takes the misery out of train journeys:) have checked all the recommendations so far but nothing really appeals,apart from how to make it in america.im very picky with films and tv shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

The Wire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

had forgotten about how to make it in america, saw the very 1st episode and thought it looked good.entourage before the fame?

Totally differnent show to Entourage. It gets much better after the 1st episode, it just has unfortunately been cancelled and hasnt really wrapped up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SomewhereNicer

Dexter.
    I've just finished watching the 7th season. Absolutely brilliant - genius. Without a doubt the best TV series I've ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I'd say its a little more serious and a little less funny than Entourage but has the same easy to watch nature, you will fly through the 16 episodes but it doesn't have a proper ending and it felt like the show was only getting going so you will be very annoyed when you finish it. I would say its like a mixture between Entourage and Girls, actually there's another show, its in the middle of season 2 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Original NCIS. I've had to rewind parts I'd miss from being in stitches laughing at some of Dinozzos stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Gossip Girl....season one

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Breaking Bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Peep show if you want quality comedy.

I like mad men, slow burner but good television. Modern family has long since peaked and is becoming more than stale now, but the first series is very good. Heroes season one is another good series... Which unfortunately loses the run if itself all too quickly. Don't watch beyond season 1! Lost, for all its flaws, makes for strangely compelling viewing.

Dexter.
    I've just finished watching the 7th season. Absolutely brilliant - genius. Without a doubt the best TV series I've ever watched.

I've been watching it for the past couple of weeks, just started season 6. It is very good alright!
    Got this little gem of nerd trivia off imdb last night - He's called Dexter because in latin Dexter (right handed) is the opposite of Sinister (left handed), it's an in-joke to symbolise he's not quite what he appears to be. I thought that was brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Misfits and Freaks and Geeks are just two other ones I can think off that hasn't been mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Have to agree with the other guys on Eastbound and Down. Pure comedy good. Best I've seen in years.

The League is also brilliant. Happy Endings is also quite funny.

Advertisement