Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard III found under a carpark!

Options
  • 04-02-2013 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Confirmation today that the skeletal remains found under a Leicestershire carpark are those of the ill fated King Richard III (King of England and France, Lord of Ireland) who died at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. Richard, whose forces outnumbered his rival Henry (Earl of Richmond) was in control until being betrayed by the Stanleys who switched sides to join Henry at a pivotal moment in the battle. Seeing that all was in danger of being lost Richard led a futile charge towards Henry but was cut down within yards of his goal. The last Plantagenet King and the last King to die in battle on British soil.

The immortal lines "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" were supposed to have been uttered by Richard but I think that was a Shakespearean addition and "Treason, treason" - referring to the Stanleys -are the more usually accepted. Fascinating stuff and, as usual, in England the scene is now set for a State funeral, a new museum etc.etc.

richard-III_2329496b.jpg
    Resting place for over 500 years of King Richard III. Photo: University of Leicester.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/04/us-britain-richard-idUSBRE9130BW20130204

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They were following a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I wonder if we'll find out if he really was disabled in some way(curvature of the spine being one of his ailments supposedly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well, Here's Another Fine Mess You've Gotten Me Into, Stanley .......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Madam wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll find out if he really was disabled in some way(curvature of the spine being one of his ailments supposedly)?

Yes, the spine DID show signs of late childhood scoliosis, but Shakespear[e] got it wrong about the withered arm.

As a very long time member of the Richard III Society, I am very happy that the last King who could call himself English without his tongue being firmly in his cheek will get a proper burial at last.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

was watching the conference this morning and i thought they did a great job at explaining their conclusions.looking forward to the documentary tonight on channel 4.

richard is one of my favourite historical figures but ive always been bothered at why he led that fatal charge at bosworth field,i mean if the battle was turning against him he should have retreated and fought at another time.I mean he was the king so surely he had better resources than henry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

This is a massive find - to be able to identify a skeleton that is more than 600 years old from an archaeological dig is remarkable. The continuing evidence that will emerge from this will significanly enhance the historiography of this period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Interestingly the descendants of both the Stanleys (Earls of Derby and formerly Lords of Mann) continue to thrive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Stanley,_19th_Earl_of_Derby and the descendants of the less fortunate Richard III ...

Researchers were confident they had found Richard III, but the final green light came just hours before more than 150 journalists were due to gather for the announcement, with the confirmation of the DNA results.
    Geneticist Turi King revealed that the skeleton's DNA matched that of two descendants of Richard's sister, Anne of York – a Canadian-born carpenter, Michael Ibsen, and another person who wishes to remain anonymous.
    It presented a "strong and compelling case that these are indeed the remains of Richard III", King said.
    Ibsen, the 17th generation descendant, said he was "stunned" at the discovery, and was looking forward to seeing the facial reconstruction.
    There had been debate about what to do with the bones amid calls from some for them to be buried in the city of York, Richard's power base, but it has been decided that his final resting place will be Leicester Cathedral.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9847418/Richard-III-descendant-privileged-to-play-part-in-royal-discovery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I'm amazed at how easy it was to find him! Obviously, it wasn't easy for Philippa Langley, who I'm sure spent months and months researching his possible burial places, but to arrive at the carpark and find the bones in one of their opening trenches is amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I'm very curious to see how they achieved a DNA match to his closest living relative after 17 generations. I don't think any paper has been published yet so I am sitting on the fence until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Alicat wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how easy it was to find him! Obviously, it wasn't easy for Philippa Langley, who I'm sure spent months and months researching his possible burial places, but to arrive at the carpark and find the bones in one of their opening trenches is amazing.

What amazed me is that the letter "R" was written there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

robp wrote: »
    I'm very curious to see how they achieved a DNA match to his closest living relative after 17 generations. I don't think any paper has been published yet so I am sitting on the fence until then.

Some more here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/04/richard-iii-skeleton-bone-dna

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

tac foley wrote: »
    the last King who could call himself English without his tongue being firmly in his cheek

English me arse! His granny was a Westmeath woman (Anne Mortimer) and his great granny, Isabella of Castille, was Spanish.

He could have played for a number of teams. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

English me arse! His granny was a Westmeath woman (Anne Mortimer) and his great granny, Isabella of Castille, was Spanish.

He could have played for a number of teams. ;)

Not to mention that the Plantagenets were French.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I find it interesting that the ceremony in Leicester Cathedral will presumably be an Anglican one despite the fact that Richard III was Catholic. Whose decision is this? It is all the more ironic due to the fact that it was Henry Tudor who killed him whose son went on to create the Anglican church. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm surprised that more of an issue isn't being raised that his burial ceremony will not be conducted in his own faith.

Not to mention that the Plantagenets were French.

And, in answer, by his time, they had been calling themselves English for a couple of hundred years.

Right now I'm more inclined to marvel at the manner of the finding of his remains, rather than poking holes in his background.

Next I'll be informed that Alfred the Great, who actually called himself The first King of the English, was actually from somewhere east of present-day Berlin.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I'm just coming to the end of the C4 documentary here, and I have to admit to being fascinated.....BUT.....
    And I don't mean to be stirring stuff here, how can there be a state funeral? The current heads of state are from the house of Windsor, so how can they allow a state funeral for a member of the house of Plantagenet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

From what I've read so far, in the news, it's not entirely convincing that this is actually Richard III?

The main link seems to be the DNA evidence? But still some questions about that too: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2013/02/leicester-body-richard-iii.html

Interesting story all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

redlead wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the ceremony in Leicester Cathedral will presumably be an Anglican one despite the fact that Richard III was Catholic. Whose decision is this? It is all the more ironic due to the fact that it was Henry Tudor who killed him whose son went on to create the Anglican church. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm surprised that more of an issue isn't being raised that his burial ceremony will not be conducted in his own faith.

The CofE claims to the direct descendent of pre-reformation Christianity. But true, Richard would be more used the Latin Mass as once practiced by the Roman Catholic Church. However, he may not have been comfortable with some developments like Vatican II!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

donaghs wrote: »
    From what I've read so far, in the news, it's not entirely convincing that this is actually Richard III?

The main link seems to be the DNA evidence? But still some questions about that too: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2013/02/leicester-body-richard-iii.html

Interesting story all the same

I'd be inclined to believe that it is him, given all the other factors to be taken into consideration, the injuries, the deformation of the spine etc...

how can there be a state funeral? The current heads of state are from the house of Windsor, so how can they allow a state funeral for a member of the house of Plantagenet?

Ah come on now. Richard was the third cousin seventeen times removed of the current sovereign, Elizabeth II.

To name but one connection. :)

Richard III and Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond were third cousins, each having been a great-great grandchild of King Edward III.

Margaret Beaufort was the mother of Henry VII, nemesis of Richard III and a direct ancestor of the current queen. Her (Margaret's) direct line of descent goes through the Tudors, branching off into the Stuarts and from there to the Hanoverians who became Kings of England in the 18th century when it was decided that Papists were unsuitable for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah come on now. Richard was the third cousin seventeen times removed of the current sovereign, Elizabeth II.

To name but one connection. :)

Richard III and Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond were third cousins, each having been a great-great grandchild of King Edward III.

Margaret Beaufort was the mother of Henry VII, nemesis of Richard III and a direct ancestor of the current queen. Her (Margaret's) direct line of descent goes through the Tudors, branching off into the Stuarts and from there to the Hanoverians who became Kings of England in the 18th century when it was decided that Papists were unsuitable for the job.

I would not call Margaret a direct ancestor? Depends what you mean by direct. The Tudor-Stuart link isn't that bad, but the Hanoverian one was..didn't they pass 60+ Catholic claimants? They ARE related, but barely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

If you go back far enough his ancestor was a monkey: same as us all.
    That said:
    Facinating history!
    Facinating forensics!
    Facinating Telly!
    I feel privileged to have lived in such a time>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

British citizens and residents can petition the government to respect Richard's own wishes and have him buried at York Minster instead:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38772

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If you go back far enough his ancestor was a monkey: same as us all.>

So where did the monkeys come from?

So where did the monkeys come from?

From the zoo, of course!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

From the zoo, of course!

Yes of course, silly me..:pac:

British citizens and residents can petition the government to respect Richard's own wishes and have him buried at York Minster instead:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38772

The decision was announced this afternoon - Richard's remains will be laid to rest in Leicester Cathedral next year.

Quote -
    The battle over where Richard III's remains will end up has been won - by the city where his body was found under a car park.

Leicester has ended up being the final destination for the king's remains after York, the other contender, gave up the fight.

York Minster announced that it believed the King's remains should be commended "to Leicester's care".

Support for York as a final resting place had been growing with 11,000 people signing a petition calling for his remains to be brought to the city.
    As a member of the House of York, Richard III would have regarded York as the centre of his support.

But people in Leicester had been equally keen for his remains stay in the city. He was buried there for more than 500 years since being taken to the city following his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

End Quote.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    The decision was announced this afternoon - Richard's remains will be laid to rest in Leicester Cathedral next year.

Quote -
    The battle over where Richard III's remains will end up has been won - by the city where his body was found under a car park.

Leicester has ended up being the final destination for the king's remains after York, the other contender, gave up the fight.

York Minster announced that it believed the King's remains should be commended "to Leicester's care".

Support for York as a final resting place had been growing with 11,000 people signing a petition calling for his remains to be brought to the city.
    As a member of the House of York, Richard III would have regarded York as the centre of his support.

But people in Leicester had been equally keen for his remains stay in the city. He was buried there for more than 500 years since being taken to the city following his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

End Quote.

tac

Disgraceful!
    I move that we catholics dig up Guy Fawkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's brilliant. DNA should be able to tell us a lot about him. It's good also because it could serve to give you english people a sense of interest in their history.

• Advertisement

I would not call Margaret a direct ancestor? Depends what you mean by direct. The Tudor-Stuart link isn't that bad, but the Hanoverian one was..didn't they pass 60+ Catholic claimants? They ARE related, but barely.

What other meaning of direct ancestor is there?

Margaret Beaufort WAS a direct ancestor of the current queen. This is fact, so far as can be demonstrated with genealogical records.

She was the Great Great Great (times 15) grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II

Margaret Beaufort was the mother of Henry VII who as well as being the father of Henry VIII was also the father of Margaret Tudor who married James IV of Scotland.

She was the mother of James V of Scotland who was the father of Mary Queen of Scots.

She was the mother of James VI of Scotland who became James I of England once Henry VIII's direct descendants died out.

James I, was father of Charles I and also the father of Elizabeth Stuart who married Frederick V, Elector of Palatine and briefly King of Bohemia.

For several reasons, one of them being that they were a protestant family, Frederick and Elizabeth were booted off the throne of Bohemia by forces of the Holy Roman Empire in what started off the notorious 30 Years War(s) in Europe. They became known henceforth as the Winter King and Queen of Bohemia, for being the wrong religion on the wrong throne at the wrong time.

With history's great tendency for irony, their grandson was to benefit from his Stuart cousins being excluded from their rightful ascension to the throne of Britain precisely because they were Catholics and therefore the wrong religion for the wrong throne at the wrong time.

Frederick and Elizabeth's daughter was Sophia of Hannover who was mother of George I of Britain. He was parachuted on to the British throne in the early 18th century, despite not having a word of English, because the Act of Settlement following the Williamite Jacobite Wars (or the Glorious Revolution as the British call it) insisted on only protestants being eligible for the monarchy.

George I was father of George II who was grandfather of George III who was grandfather of Queen Victoria.

She begat Edward VII who begat George V who begat George VI who was the current queen's daddy.

Clear now? :)

Advertisement