Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a secondhand Toyota Prius?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ah ceekay74 for the love of mike....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrsergej

As @reni10 didn't reply about his final decision on prius (or not), I just want to share some info for future readers.
    Bought 2005 prius from UK two years ago now (in 2013). It was high mileage with full service history car and TOTAL COST then was 4000 Euro. I mean TOTAL: 2 flight tickets (for me and a friend), car hire in the UK, Car I bought, petrol and ferry to bring it here, VRT (320Euros) and NCT. That was 2 years ago. These days it might be more but car worth every penny. I drive it locally and usually do over 1000km a month. No issues what so ever! Over last 2 years I have changed oil, tyres, 12V battery (manufactory one lasted for 9 years) and that's ALL. And I have to say that I usually do take proper care of my cars.
    Talking about fuel consumption, my lowest is 40-41MPG (town driving during the winter), 45-50mpg (combined) and 60+ when drove about 400km at around 80-100km/h speed, during the trip to Europe last summer.
    Talking about comfort to drive: everyone is different and feels different when driving. I have 20 years driving experience and owned 17 different range cars at different time, form Corsa 106 to Citroen C8, but PRIUS is the best car I ever had!

So good luck with the future choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

mrsergej wrote: »
    As @reni10 didn't reply about his final decision on prius (or not), I just want to share some info for future readers.
    Bought 2005 prius from UK two years ago now (in 2013). It was high mileage with full service history car and TOTAL COST then was 4000 Euro. I mean TOTAL: 2 flight tickets (for me and a friend), car hire in the UK, Car I bought, petrol and ferry to bring it here, VRT (320Euros) and NCT. That was 2 years ago. These days it might be more but car worth every penny. I drive it locally and usually do over 1000km a month. No issues what so ever! Over last 2 years I have changed oil, tyres, 12V battery (manufactory one lasted for 9 years) and that's ALL. And I have to say that I usually do take proper care of my cars.
    Talking about fuel consumption, my lowest is 40-41MPG (town driving during the winter), 45-50mpg (combined) and 60+ when drove about 400km at around 80-100km/h speed, during the trip to Europe last summer.
    Talking about comfort to drive: everyone is different and feels different when driving. I have 20 years driving experience and owned 17 different range cars at different time, form Corsa 106 to Citroen C8, but PRIUS is the best car I ever had!

So good luck with the future choices!

I'm considering buying an 05-07 Prius but I think with these cars the longevity of the expensive hybrid batteries are a concern for me as they can cost as much as these are worth to replace. I'm worried about getting them over 100k mileage. I'm thinking that buying an 05 under 100k is better value for the same price as buying an 07 over 100k. What do you think?

loughrey wrote: »
    I'm considering buying an 05-07 Prius but I think with these cars the longevity of the expensive hybrid batteries are a concern for me as they can cost as much as these are worth to replace. I'm worried about getting them over 100k mileage. I'm thinking that buying an 05 under 100k is better value for the same price as buying an 07 over 100k. What do you think?

I sold my loved Prius last week with 125k miles on the clock and it still is the best car i drove ever! Within 2.5 years I had no issues with the car AND with the Main battery at all. It behaved exactly the same as when I bought it. Regularly had battery charged to the top green level. So it's not an issue at all. And even if it would be, there is no need to replace the whole battery, usually it is only separate battery cell that fail and they could be replaced separately. The only thing that it's a common thing on these petrol engines that when mileage is over 100k kilometres, it oil consumption is noticeable. But neither performance or emissions or anything else are affected. Jus needed to check oil level monthly and add if needed.
    I would happily drive it further but kids are growing and I am getting a 7 seater. I wish I could afford 7seater prius...
    Still hoping that will be able to afford a second car and it will be prius again...

BTW i am driving friends 09 Avensis now and prius is BETTER and more spacious inside!
    More driver friendly (controls) and much more fun to drive with stepless auto gearbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The battery on the 05 will be 2 years older though.
    Battery wear isn't in proportion to mileage. there are other factors.

One of the most reliable cars ever built!

There are prius taxi's in the U.S with over 400,000 Miles on the original battery. NiMh batteries are not as susceptible to time degradation as lithium.

I had an 07 for 4 years sold with 230,000 Kms, nothing failed. Never a problem.

Just check the recalls were done by a Toyota garage.

Prius is a great car but not that I've gone fully electric there is no going back !

Regarding the years, that's really up to you, better price V younger car !

make sure it has a full Toyota service history as always any neglected engine can give trouble if the oil/filters were not changed etc and having a full verified service history pretty much guarantees mileage is correct too.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I really appreciate the info guys! My current budget only allows for the second generation high mile Prius. I was worried about the battery as unlike the US etc. there aren't any Hybrid battery reconditioning centres in Ireland meaning you have no choice but to replace the whole battery in a Toyota dealers, unless you happen to get one on Ebay, which isn't that often. I'm looking at a 06 T Spirit with 113K miles but the battery worry is holding me back a little.

I really appreciate the info guys! My current budget only allows for the second generation high mile Prius. I was worried about the battery as unlike the US etc. there aren't any Hybrid battery reconditioning centres in Ireland meaning you have no choice but to replace the whole battery in a Toyota dealers, unless you happen to get one on Ebay, which isn't that often. I'm looking at a 06 T Spirit with 113K miles but the battery worry is holding me back a little.

The battery is probably less likely to fail than an engine in a normal ICE car, so it's important to check the maintenance has been done every 15,000 kms , oil and filters, and that the record is backed up by the garage.

The setup gearbox needs an oil change also at 160,000 Kms, not part of the service but well worth while according to prius owners over at priuschat.com

The gearbox is also one of the most reliable Auto's ever built and is simpler than a regular automatic so less likely to fail.

The prius is one of the most reliable 2nd hand cars with high mileage you will find on the road.

Advertisement