Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new digiweb tooway 20Mbps / 6Mbps

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ps200306 wrote: »
    LOL. Are you genuinely sticking to your guns and insisting that your speed of light is a quarter of everyone else's? Here's the basic calc, just so you don't mislead anyone else. Time to sat for 45 degrees latitude is roughly 125 ms one way, 250 ms up and down, and 500 ms round trip to earth station, i.e. up and down twice.

I'm eagerly awaiting you posting proof of those said ping times from Ireland. FYI, 45' latitude runs through the south of France and we are not in the same meridian as the satellites, we are further West.
    Uh huh. Where does it say the speed of light get slower when it rains? It says the connection stops working, which is exactly the case. I had that happen once in two years, during a thunderstorm.

Radio waves only travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. You live in the East, rain fade is a major issue the further West you head, I know because I install satellite systems, often in mountainous areas prone to heavy mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Just a thought, OP -- many years ago when I was very dubious about my first satellite connection from Digiweb, they let me try it out from their offices in Dundalk before signing up. I have no idea if they still do the same thing. (Contrary to the previous poster's suspicions, I am not actually writing from that Dundalk office :D ). You could call them and check if they have somewhere you could bring your laptop down to try it out, with your VPN installed and ready to do a few real world representative tests. I always find a practical test is a more reliable guide than some randomer on the interweb. :rolleyes:

Well what a surprise they "let you check it out", I've asked Digiweb to prove their assertions a few times and they've been utterly silent on that.

Now to your other bizarre claims:

In your world Fibre is "unbearably slow" and FWA is useless so presumably satellite is the only solution.
    Satellite does VPN and VOIP with no problems...the new satellites are brilliant and break the laws of physics with impunity.
    This is obviously satellite pimping.

From this latitude the time taken for a "signal" to the eutelsat satellites is 297ms, from the latitude of Dublin to be precise,and then 297ms down from the satellite (any calculator will tell you that)
    That's ~ 600ms for a signal just to arrive at the destination and you still assert it's fine for VPN and VOIP?

Then add rain fade onto that...I forgot in your world fade doesn't exist either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just a thought, OP -- many years ago when I was very dubious about my first satellite connection from Digiweb, they let me try it out from their offices in Dundalk before signing up

Of course they did. Satellite uses smoke and mirrors tricks to speed up browsing, it does nothing to help VPN, VoIP or RDP, in fact it gets in the way of RDP which uses TCP. Satellite is just highly optimised browsing.
    TCP/IP Spoofing

VSAT Systems employs TCP/IP acceleration also known as TCP Spoofing. This technique compensates for the space-link transit time using state-of-the-art routers, switches and protocol processors which are fine tuned for satellite applications. This equipment appears to TCP as if it were the remote location, while acting as a relay or forwarder for data packets going to and from the remote satellite location. When the spoofing equipment receives Internet traffic destined for a remote satellite location, it acknowledges receipt of the packet immediately on behalf of the remote site. This mitigates the slow-start effects and data packets begin to follow immediately.

In this manner, the latency is "hidden" because the acknowledgments are returned rapidly. As a result, TCP moves out of slow-start mode quickly and builds speed to reach maximum levels.

The VSAT Systems acceleration equipment also watches for real acknowledgements coming back from the remote site and suppresses them. If the acknowledgement is not received from the remote site, the system automatically re-sends the packet from its buffer. Thus, our satellite-connected sites communicate seamlessly with servers on the terrestrial Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm eagerly awaiting you posting proof of those said ping times from Ireland.

Uh, hullo? I posted two speed tests on the previous pages of this thread. If you look at just the first one you can see an average round trip time of 748 ms.
    FYI, 45' latitude runs through the south of France and we are not in the same meridian as the satellites, we are further West.
    Yes, no doubt you calculated the effect of these differences? i.e. a 2.5 ms difference in the one-way trip time for latitude 53 compared to 45? And another millisecond or so for the fact that we are 15 degrees west of the KA-SAT. That would be a total 15 ms (4 x 3.5) round trip time difference *if* both the up and down were to our location. However, I'm sure you know that the Eutelsat teleports *are* in France (and Italy).
    Radio waves only travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.
    Ah c'mon, stop insulting my intelligence. If you insist: refractive index of air at STP = 1.000293. Scale height of atmosphere = 10km = 0.000279 times sat height. Factor by which light travel time changes = 0.000293 * 0.000279 = less than one part in ten million. Did you really want to bring up such an irrelevance?
    You live in the East, rain fade is a major issue the further West you head, I know because I install satellite systems, often in mountainous areas prone to heavy mist.
    Unless they have very funny mist over there, rain fade does not change the speed of light.
    bealtine wrote: »
    Well what a surprise they "let you check it out", I've asked Digiweb to prove their assertions a few times and they've been utterly silent on that.
    Any particular assertions? No idea what you're talking about here.
    Now to your other bizarre claims:

"Other"? Are you attaching some assertions from Digiweb (which you haven't listed) to me? I've claimed nothing other than what I've said on this thread.
    In your world Fibre is "unbearably slow"
    I never said anything of the sort. I said I'd RDP'd over a fibre connection to the other side of the planet and it was unbearably slow. The point (which you seem to have missed) is that the overall speed doesn't only depend on your outgoing connection. I was relating to this to your highly anecdotal report about using RDP over satellite. How many times? Once? I've done it dozens of times and measured response times for different tasks. Some are bearable, some are not. Depends on what you are doing.
    and FWA is useless so presumably satellite is the only solution.
    I didn't say FWA was useless. I said there were some cowboy operators out there who are useless at fixing problems. And there are *many* problems reported with fixed wireless -- have a trawl of a few relevant Irish forums, you will not be stuck for examples.
    Satellite does VPN and VOIP with no problems...the new satellites are brilliant and break the laws of physics with impunity.
    I said that VPN reduced the satellite connection speed by a factor of eight on average. You either have a funny idea of "no problem" or you didn't bother reading what I wrote. VoIP *does* work fine -- I use it every single day. How about you? Are you doing VoIP over satellite every day? Thought not. As for the laws of physics, you're the one with the four times slower speed of light.
    This is obviously satellite pimping.
    Perhaps, if I'd actually *said* any of the things you attribute to me.
    From this latitude the time taken for a "signal" to the eutelsat satellites is 297ms, from the latitude of Dublin to be precise,and then 297ms down from the satellite (any calculator will tell you that)
    Mate, there's not a lot I can do about the fact that you are seriously arithmetically challenged, and your calculator clearly ain't helping. Allow me to help you out with a little sanity check. Speed of light = 300,000 km/sec. 297 ms x 300,000 km/sec = 89,100 km. KA-SAT is less than 36,000 km above the equator. Now, if you're able to draw a triangle from KA-SAT to the equator to Ireland, and make the long side of it 89,100 kilometres long, there's probably some scientists who are interested in your forays into the fourth dimension. :D
    That's ~ 600ms for a signal just to arrive at the destination
    Check your arithmetic. It's wrong. I already linked you a reference showing 253 ms *up + down* to 45 lat. You're saying it more than doubles for 53 lat. (If you don't know how to use the equation I linked to change the latitude, I am happy to spell it out for you. Off-meridian calcs to allow for longitude need slightly more complicated spherical coordinates but I can show you how to do those as well). Sorry, don't have any more time to entertain your basic errors. Fer Chrissake, I *posted a screenshot* showing 748 ms round trip time which includes 2 up and 2 down. If there were no other overheads at all, that would be 374 ms one way trip to destination. Are you claiming I photoshopped the speed test? :D
    ...and you still assert it's fine for VPN and VOIP?
    Only in your strange world where 8 times slower VPN is "fine". VPN is far from "fine", but it's complete workable for browsing and modest file transfers and a number of other tasks. VoIP on the other hand *is* fine. There is a tolerable sub-half-second delay in voice getting from one end to the other (in the real world, you know, where the speed of light isn't four times slower). I mean, really, do you want me to attach my VSP bills? I suppose I could've photoshopped them like I did the speed tests? :rolleyes:
    Then add rain fade onto that...I forgot in your world fade doesn't exist either
    I said rain didn't slow down the speed of light. It doesn't. So what are you "adding"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Uh, hullo? I posted two speed tests on the previous pages of this thread. If you look at just the first one you can see an average round trip time of 748 ms.

I said rain didn't slow down the speed of light. It doesn't. So what are you "adding"?

Anything over 75 ms is poor. 748 is x10 rubbish.

Rain or high level ice and many other things will frequently affect all of Ireland at once. Thus the Spot capacity, especially on uplink, is hugely degraded, to a 1/4 or less on Ku Band. So Speed is 1/3rd to 1/5th.

Anything other than Web Browsing the Http Accelerator doesn't work and for VPN etc the TCP spoofing is so disastrous that the only way VPN can be used is to fake it on the link and put a VPN client at the Earth Station.

Satellite is rubbish for Internet and Ka-Sat for Ireland has less capacity and nearly 100 times latency of a UPC or Eircom cabinet for one street.

Also unless you pay a Mega expensive contract your cap is per hour, per day, per week and not just per month. The capacity is so poor compared to terrestrial that the cap is low and traffic management horrific.

I've used 3 different satellite systems and had many meetings and discussions with the actual real providers. Satellite is a way to get Internet connectivity when there is nothing else.

It can be be better than 3G/4G except generally for latency, as you generally always have a connection. But you are explicitly forbidden to "serve" connections on it. It's just for email, browsing and very clunky VOIP ( ... Over ... Roger). 3G latency is 40ms to 1500ms and may not connect, or regularly drop. 4G has better latency but may not connect and can easily drop to 240kbps, 3G to 120kbps. But if you are a sole user on a mast within 900m then you have up to 21Mbps at maybe 35ms Latency on 3G/4G. On satellite the entire capacity for all of Ireland is about 6 to 10 phone masts in clear sky and 1 to 3 masts during heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't have to wait a second for every keystroke. I type whole words or sentences at a time (I'm a sixty words a minute typist). The feedback lags behind the typing, but you do not have to wait one second (or any time at all) between keystrokes unless you are a one finger typist who needs to see whether you typed the right thing.

You know about AJAX and interactive editing etc web sites, never mind gaming?

A disaster on Satellite as each keystroke CAN be 600mS to 900mS vs 7ms to 30ms on real Broadband.

watty wrote: »
    Anything over 75 ms is poor. 748 is x10 rubbish.
    Very scientific there. Define "rubbish". I'm using it many hours a day. It works.
    Rain or high level ice and many other things will frequently affect all of Ireland at once. Thus the Spot capacity, especially on uplink, is hugely degraded, to a 1/4 or less on Ku Band. So Speed is 1/3rd to 1/5th.

You do realise we're talking about Ka-band? I've had Ku-band. It was very limited and I dumped it in favour of fixed wireless. I dumped the fixed wireless for KA-band. I can tell if the speed "frequently" went down to 1/5th the speed for all of Ireland I would notice very quickly. Your statistic is complete nonsense and I'm prepared to bet you have nothing to back it up with.

Anything other than Web Browsing the Http Accelerator doesn't work and for VPN etc the TCP spoofing is so disastrous that the only way VPN can be used is to fake it on the link and put a VPN client at the Earth Station.

It's kinda bizarre. Multiple posters are telling me that things I use every day are unusable. I honestly don't believe any of you have any experience of this product. I can't explain the litany of false claims any other way.
    Satellite is rubbish for Internet and Ka-Sat for Ireland has less capacity and nearly 100 times latency of a UPC or Eircom cabinet for one street.

How do you explain it working so well for me?
    Also unless you pay a Mega expensive contract your cap is per hour, per day, per week and not just per month. The capacity is so poor compared to terrestrial that the cap is low and traffic management horrific.

Wrong again, like almost all your claims. The cap on this product is per month.
    I've used 3 different satellite system....

Not this one apparently. Otherwise you wouldn't be making these fatuous claims.

It's kinda bizarre. Multiple posters are telling me that things I use every day are unusable. I honestly don't believe any of you have any experience of this product. I can't explain the litany of false claims any other way.

How do you explain it working so well for me?

I can't tell if you are a troll or a deluded satellite salesman.

Because,as you've repeatedly demonstrated, you haven't a clue what you're talking about, you make up crap and claim it's "true" like some bishop of old...
    You've no idea what fade is, you claimed earlier that it took 125ms to get to a satellite then revised it when proper maths was brought into the nonsense you're spouting,

A VPN is impossible at 800ms , in fact it's impossible on most high latency systems, in fact it's utterly painful at 200ms latency, yet you do VPN every day...yeah sure. I'm sure VOIP works if you enjoy a 1 second delay, yeah I know you do VOIP everyday.

So to prove your bs let me VPN and then rdp to your computers. In other words put up or shut up trying to sell tooway crap to punters

I can't tell if you are a troll or a deluded satellite salesman.

Because,as you've repeatedly demonstrated, you haven't a clue what you're talking about, you make up crap and claim it's "true" like some bishop of old...
    You've no idea what fade is, you claimed earlier that it took 125ms to get to a satellite then revised it when proper maths was brought into the nonsense you're spouting,

A VPN is impossible at 800ms , in fact it's impossible on most high latency systems, in fact it's utterly painful at 200ms latency, yet you do VPN every day...yeah sure. I'm sure VOIP works if you enjoy a 1 second delay, yeah I know you do VOIP everyday.

So to prove your bs let me VPN and then rdp to your computers. In other words put up or shut up trying to sell tooway crap to punters

What -- let someone who can't even add hack around on my machine? Eh, no thanks, I'll pass on that one.

It *does* take 125ms for light to get to a geostationary satellite. I've given you links to the calculations. I've offered to explain them to you. Where did I change my mind? You're the one that keeps on tossing out stupid figures and claiming anyone could do it on a calculator. Fine. Forget this bull**** bravado about hacking into my machine. Show me your simple calculation for light travel time to geostationary orbit. That's just requires a simple post that anyone can read, with a bit of division (which I already explained to you but you ignored). Can you do that? No, I didn't think so. Just to remind us -- you first said the time was 300-500 ms, and "300 on a good day" (LOL - do the radio waves have bad days too?). Then you claimed it was exactly 297 ms. Should be simple to show us your calculations, since you seem to be so exact.

What -- let someone who can't even add hack around on my machine? Eh, no thanks, I'll pass on that one.

So I call bull**** on everything you've said...Prove your wild assertions that satellite "works"

• Advertisement

So I call bull**** on everything you've said...Prove your wild assertions that satellite "works"

LMAO. So a system that thousands of people are using every day doesn't work because I won't let you break into my computer, and anything to the contrary is a "wild assertion"? I think we know who the troll is here.

Tell you what. I'll give you a couple of hours to post your signal time calculation, then I'll do it for you. :D

LMAO. So a system that thousands of people are using every day doesn't work because I won't let you break into my computer, and anything to the contrary is a "wild assertion"? I think we know who the troll is here.

Tell you what. I'll give you a couple of hours to post your signal time calculation, then I'll do it for you. :D

You told us you know about VPNs...but seemingly you haven't a clue if that's what you think, that I "want to break into your computer".

You are obviously a troll at this point making up nonsense and saying "IT WORKS IT WORKS" because I say so... Prove it

You told us you know about VPNs...but seemingly you haven't a clue if that's what you think, that I "want to break into your computer".

You are obviously a troll at this point making up nonsense and saying "IT WORKS IT WORKS" because I say so... Prove it

LOL. This just keeps getting better. You want to remote desktop to my computer ... and you're trying to convince me it would be safe for me to let some interweb randomer do that? Catch a grip. And what's that got to do with VPN? You said, and I quote: "So to prove your bs let me VPN and then rdp to your computers". How were you planning to do that since I don't have a VPN server or appliance at my end? Seems like you're the one that hasn't a clue about VPNs.

Anyway this is all a distraction from a much more basic question. You were about to show the world how light takes 297 ms (or 500 on a bad day :D ) to travel about 35,000 km to a geostationary satellite. Still waiting for your awesome calculation. I'll post it for you at 11pm if, as expected, you don't come up with the goodies.

That gives me an hour to eat the Chinese takeaway I just ordered by VoIP over satellite. :pac:

LOL. This just keeps getting better. You want to remote desktop to my computer ... and you're trying to convince me it would be safe for me to let some interweb randomer do that? Catch a grip. And what's that got to do with VPN? You said, and I quote: "So to prove your bs let me VPN and then rdp to your computers". How were you planning to do that since I don't have a VPN server or appliance at my end? Seems like you're the one that hasn't a clue about VPNs.

Anyway this is all a distraction from a much more basic question. You were about to show the world how light takes 297 ms (or 500 on a bad day :D ) to travel about 35,000 km to a geostationary satellite. Still waiting for your awesome calculation. I'll post it for you at 11pm if, as expected, you don't come up with the goodies.

No I don't want to see your stuff I want to test your assertion that VPN works over satellite, there's a VPN server built into your OS all you need to do is configure it and as an expert in VPNs (using them every day remember?) it should take you 2 minutes to configure and then if you knew anything about computers you'd know how to configure access etc.

So again prove that VPN and VOIP works...but you haven't a clue so I'd expect you to bluster and pretend I'm trying to hack you or some other nonsense

http://www.satellitetcp.com/chapters/SatTCP-chap13-satellitetcp.pdf <- as it says 250ms and then with rain fade(it never rains in Ireland right?)

Go here pick your satellite and do the rain fade calculations and look up the ITU rain fade calculations.

I even have to google for you

No I don't want to see your stuff I want to test your assertion that VPN works over satellite, there's a VPN server built into your OS all you need to do is configure it and as an expert in VPNs (using them every day remember?) it should take you 2 minutes to configure and then if you knew anything about computers you'd know how to configure access etc.

So again prove that VPN and VOIP works...but you haven't a clue so I'd expect you to bluster and pretend I'm trying to hack you or some other nonsense

You don't want to see my stuff? But it's *your* stuff. It's your calculation of how it takes 297 ms to get up to a satellite. You said anyone with a calculator could do it, which makes it even more strange that you won't say how you did it. Let's not have any more distractions until we get to the bottom of your most basic claim. 11pm approacheth.

Any calculations?

Any calculations?

I posted them

Now prove VPN works on satellite

I posted them

Where? In the same universe that light travels at 10 mph or whatever it was? Can I have a link to where you posted them or am I supposed to guess?

Where? In the same universe that light travels at 10 mph or whatever it was? Can I have a link to where you posted them or am I supposed to guess?

2 posts up, now when will you prove VPNs works instead of talking rubbish...IT WORKS IT WORKS because I say so. It simply doesn't, never did when I last tried it and never will.

Anyway I'm done with your idiocy until you can prove it works, which you won't do because you know damn well it doesn't not with a approx a second delay.

2 posts up, now when will you prove VPNs works instead of talking rubbish...IT WORKS IT WORKS because I say so. It simply doesn't, never did when I last tried it and never will.

Where? Do you mean this:
    http://www.satellitetcp.com/chapters/SatTCP-chap13-satellitetcp.pdf <- as it says 250ms and then with rain fade(it never rains in Ireland right?)

Go here pick your satellite and do the rain fade calculations and look up the ITU rain fade calculations.

I even have to google for you

Go where? Is this some emperor's new clothes sort of nonsense? That link is a pdf. Where do I pick my satellite? The pdf does not contain the word "rain". As for "it says 250 ms" ... nope, even if I was to guess which metric you are talking about, it doesn't contain the string "250" either. What is *does* contain is this:

"With the speedof light just under 186,000 miles per second in a vacuum (300,000 km per sec.), it takes 0.120 seconds for a signal from the ground to reach a satellite directly overhead... It takes 0.240 seconds for a signal to bounce off a satellite and reach another user on the ground. TCP measures latency as the round-trip time required for a packet to reach the user and an acknowledgement to return to the sender. Since it takes 0.240 seconds in each direction, the round-trip time is 0.480 seconds."

Emphasis is mine. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 120 ms that it says it takes to reach the satellite is not very close to the 297 ms (or 500 on a bad day :D ) that you claimed. In fact it's not even within a factor of two. And the 240 ms that it says it takes to reach another user is not very close to the 600 ms minimum that you said it took.

Ok, let's take another quote:

"This is the opposite situation to real-time transfers running over UDP, with voice over IP as a particular example. With no feedback mechanisms, UDP itself has no adverse interactions with satellite conditions and works just as well over satellite as any other typeof link. However, a quarter-second one-way delay in voice transmission is noticeable to users, and depending on the circumstances, may or may not be considered acceptable."

That seems pretty identical to what I said -- VoIP works fine, has a sub-half-second delay, and is tolerable.

So, back to you -- any source for your 297 ms earth to satellite claim, or are you just trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok, this thread isn't useful to anyone and I don't want to see a repeat of this nonsense.

ps200306, sat should only be considered as a very very last resort for people.

It is not a suitable replacement for DSL due to environmental issues and is completely unsuitable for the likes of gaming and VoIP. It "might" look good on paper but practical real life experience in real weather conditions is different from paper.

In this case bealtine speaks from knowledgeable experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement