Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most tragic deaths **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But is that canon?

Not sure tbh, I always thought most of the books & comics were generally considered canon?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not sure tbh, I always thought most of the books & comics were generally considered canon?

I think they are till they contradict something or a better idea comes along.

And I meant it was tragic in a 'it was a sh*t way to kill off the character' kind of way...but reading that, and reading how he ended up back in the sarlacc adds to the tragedy of it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PrincessPreach

tunguska wrote: »
    Captain Miller(Tom hanks in saving private ryan). The "Earn this" line absolutely killed me.

Mc murphy(Jack nicholson) In cuckoos nest

Rambo in First blood - I know this didnt happen in the movie but his death in the book would make the hardest of hard men cry.

William wallace (Mel gibson) In braveheart. The death scene itself is pretty brutal but the following scene, where all the lads are lined up for a final battle with the brits and your man gives a short but great speech......brilliant.

McMurphy doesn't die. He gets a lobotomy but it gets me everytime too. I read the book and the pages were wet from my tears.
    Billy commits suicide which is what sends Mc over the edge and he attacks Nurse Rachid

For me it's when Annis dies in The Imitation of Life. Jesus, even thinking about the funeral scene makes me well up.

Also the Champ used to have me in floods as a kid.

Bambi (as a kid)

Big Fish - Albert Finney - Everytime.

I don't know how to do those spolier things so sorry if I ruined anything for anyone:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

krudler wrote: »
    Ah, this will be one of those threads to avoid because people don't know how to use spoilers properly.

It does have spoilers in caps lock in the thread title. If people click into this thread and then see spoilers I dont know how they can complain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It does have spoilers in caps lock in the thread title. If people click into this thread and then see spoilers I dont know how they can complain...

Totally. I go back on what I said before about the need for spoiler wraps, I was pretty out of it last night. (edit: even though I said that a few hours ago... I'm pretty sick atm so time is a blur)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i believe i must have watched some secret, extended edition of one flew over the cuckoos nest

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PrincessPreach

indough wrote: »
    i believe i must have watched some secret, extended edition of one flew over the cuckoos nest

Where McMurphy dies? Ah no way..he does die...Cheif smoothers him at the end!! How did i forget that..jesus..i need to stop drinking so much:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Where McMurphy dies? Ah no way..he does die...Cheif smoothers him at the end!! How did i forget that..jesus..i need to stop drinking so much:(

You were thinking of the guy who goes to live with the Simpsons and composes a birthday song for Lisa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I made the same mistake...completely forgot about The Chief ending his misery. I can't even use drink as an excuse and I've seen that film a half dozen times :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's not that there'll be spoilers in the thread but that they should be used properly. Put the name of the film AND THEN the spoiler at the very least. Instead of having people click on a black box without having any earthy idea what it'll be referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Grave of the Fireflies -
    The sister. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭SYDEWYNDER

Talia al Ghuls/Miranda Tates
    death in The Dark Knight Rises was ****ing tragic. Tragic acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

e_e wrote: »
    It's not that there'll be spoilers in the thread but that they should be used properly. Put the name of the film AND THEN the spoiler at the very least. Instead of having people click on a black box without having any earthy idea what it'll be referring to.

That, if you're going to spoiler a movie, dont spoiler the title of the movie too, it defeats the purpose sicne you dont know what film it is you're going to be spoiling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Hooch from Turner and Hooch

I saw this movie as a young boy and his death left me traumatised. As I recall, it was completely unneccessary to the plot. Even as an adult, I can't bring myself to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

For me
    Wash's death
    in Serenity.

And in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    when the kid goes for a "shower".

Honorables mention to
    the old couple
    in Titanic and
    Jenny
    in Forest Gump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Shane in
    Shane( he did die)

Shane didn't die ... did he??? :confused:

For me, as cheesy as it is, all the major deaths in Deep Impact have me bawling -
    Tea Leoni's mother killing herself, Tea and her father on the beach, Leelee Sobieski's parents holding each other in the traffic jam, and finally the astronauts' death with their final family goodbyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah but how are you supposed to know which movies will be spoiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I wasnt sad when Johnny Harris got killed in This is England 86, but the brutality of the scene (and combos deed) was horrific.

THIS and
    Combo vs Milky in This is England
    , havent been able to watch it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Betty Blue
    when Zorg mercy kills Betty
    after 3 hours it hits you hard

Manon des Sources
    Ugolin commiting sucide
    and
    Cesar find out Jean is his son, who he basically ruined and led to him taking his own life
    heartbreaking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The japanese kid in empire of the sun, also the kamikaze pilots...and when christian bale is reunited with his mother. Thats an emotional flick in general. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Brooks was here

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

I can't believe nobody has mention
    The death of Ellie at the start of Disney's Up
    I actually found it hard to sit through the rest of the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

any death in forest gump, but particularly Bubba.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

For me
    Wash's death
    in Serenity.

I still can't get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I remember being shocked by the death of
    Tracy Mills (Gwyneth Paltrow)
    in Se7en - even though it was not shown on screen. It illustrated the lengths to which John Doe would go to finish his plan.

In another one I remember well, the title is the spoiler, since the title character dies at the end:
    Léon
    . :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Marley.

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Giuseppe Conlon - In the Name of the Father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Talia's death scene in Dark Knight Rises was horrific. Horrific in the sense that it was done so bad. Id say it was the first take of the scene and the editor stuck it in for the laugh. Brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Cillian Murphy's
    in Wind that shakes the Barley.

Advertisement